5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting!
Published on January 5, 2007 by a reader

3.0 out of 5 stars More beyond than Space itself
Published on January 3, 2005 by David Whitman

3.0 out of 5 stars More beyond than Space itself, January 3, 2005
David Whitman (Wichita, KS USA) - See all my reviews
This could be a strange book at times. But there is also a certain charm about it. There is more to the story than just space travel. It is more like a galactic quest through life as it exists in the deep past, distant future, physical and supernatural sense. There are a number of interesting and unusual endings in the book with some philosophy thrown in for good measure. There are also cross references of wars, epidemics, politics, and civilizations from alien planets to planet earth.

One would be frustrated at first that it seems impossible to fulfill the mission of reaching the planet of your citizenship as this appears to be the goal in the beginning of the story. Being diverted to help other planets, other space organizations, other beings, and even MISSION TRAINING seems to demean the goal of the story. But then again, that is the premise of the story, which makes it a really good read. R.A. Montgomery isn't known to be as good as his colleague, Edward Packard, but he did put forth good writing here. He managed to cram alot about life in the galaxy in 116 pages. Don't expect a lot of what is on the cover of the reissue (a corny Buck Rogers like scene of a laser battle) to be in the story though. Paul Granger's original, lush, colorful artwork is more suitable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting!, January 5, 2007
This review is from: Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure #3) (Paperback)
This book is one of the more creative ones in the Choose Your Own Adventure Series. Basically, YOU are born to parents of two different planets and you have to figure out which planet YOU want to be your home planet. I think this book really stands out in the series. I can remember being especially fascinated by it as a child. Most children wonder about outer space and aliens at some point, and this book is fun for them to read. It brings in all sorts of fun characters including aliens and robots. For a child, I believe this book would be fantastic. It is definitely one of the more imaginative books in the series. The adventurous story brings me back to my childhood days of imagination where anything was possible.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of the series, December 21, 1998
By A Customer
The "Choose Your Own Adventure" series was a great invention for kids, and the first 14 or so were very interesting. However, simply put, R.A. Montgomery is not very good at writing them, unlike his colleague Edward Packard. Arbitrary, preachy, and sometimes practically incoherent, his books are only for rabid fans of the genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars :), June 5, 2013
4 stars or more with these books means you can find a happy ending in the book. some don't have any.

5.0 out of 5 stars lots of fun, May 20, 2013
Got this for a gift for a relative because I remembered how much I lived them when I was a child. Didn't disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, December 25, 2012
This book is awesome. It keeps me we entertained for hours. Really nice job, please keep writing more books, thank you for reading this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good books, September 5, 2012
My kids have loved these books and have read them every night! My 12 yr old daughters teacher has been asking people in her class for anyone whos read them and is excited to read them himself! Thank You!

4.0 out of 5 stars Choose Your Own Adventure Book #3 - Space & Beyond, April 30, 2012
I was very pleased with the seller. No problems with the quality of the book (it was in perfect shape) and it arrived within a week. I was impressed. I recommend and will certainly purchase more books from them in the future.
I loved these books as a kid, now my kids love them. This book in particular, Space and Beyond, isn't one of the best in the series however. These books are awesome because they teach kids the valuable lesson of making wise decisions by demonstrating choices and their consequences (some good some bad).

2.0 out of 5 stars Arbitrary conclusions, a little too much moralizing, July 8, 2014
Swank Ivy "Ivy" (Tampa, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I read this Choose Your Own Adventure book as a kid and I think it was the first one that almost always weirded me out with the endings. I never knew when I would get a choice that just wanted to lead me to an ending just so it could get another ending on the roster and advertise how many endings it had. There were about ten or eleven endings that led to a fate not at all indicated by the choice you'd made--for instance, if you're in a space war and you choose to stand and fight with your side, you don't really expect that choice to lead directly to all your instruments and spaceships inexplicably losing power and forcing your entire military unit to live the rest of their lives as--literally--cavemen. Got that? I chose to fight a space war and suddenly with the loss of power my unit reverted to primitive lifestyles. Okay? I also wondered whether the author had an anti-war agenda and wanted to spoon-feed "fighting is bad, this is no kind of life at all" platitudes into my impressionable brain. I actually agree with most anti-war sentiments but a galactic war seemed like a silly place to randomly make character-willingly-participates choices lead to character-realizes-war-is-stupid-without-any-obvious-provocation endings. I kinda liked the idea of "me" in the book being cast as an alien teenager whose parents were from different planets, and I remember the idea of one of the planets orbiting around a dying sun being really scary to me because I actually studied stars' life cycles and knew what a red giant was for real.

1.0 out of 5 stars In space no one can hear you sigh.., October 2, 2011
Space and Beyond (CYOA reissue #3) by R.A. Montgomery. This is the first (and so far only) Choose Your Own Adventure book I didn't finish. It reads like dull gibberish from an aging hippie. I stopped reading after coming across my fifth ending of nonsense. The initial plot is that you have just turned 18 (in apparently 3 days and 2 hours) and must now choose your home planet for citizenship. You were born in space and can choose either your father's planet, with its troubled past and dying sun, or your mother's mysterious planet, also with a troubled past but a bright future. On my reading I had the chance to go back to the space academy for lessons, to command a starship, to become a research scientist, and to fight in a shadow vs light war. It sounds terribly exciting. But nothing really happens. And you have a friend follow you around who does so little the writer has to keep reminding you he's there. Now I'm just going to quote the endings I reached so you can fully appreciate the level of writing.

After being taught during a private lesson about the 'infinity of knowledge to explore within ourselves' I was given the choice to either travel to the era of dinosaurs or to some unknown point in the past. I chose the latter and on the next page got: "A chance to go to the unknown is probably really risky, but there is that desire in most people to take risks. You race back in time toward the edge of eternity, the beginning of the entire universe. You achieve an elastic weightlessness, and a sense of complete peace and calm. There is no sound, no light. But no darkness either. You race back to the very beginning, to the pulsating, exciting start. You return to the big bang that started the whole thing. You are and you have been a part of everything, always. The beginning is the end. THE END" Wasn't that fun!?

My next path lead me to investigating the cause of war by time traveling to a Mars in the past. Sounds exciting, right? After traveling back this is literally all there is: "When you arrive on Mars, you are invisible and can travel through space, through solid matter, and even into the thoughts of people. What is the cause of revolt on Mars? Who knows. Greed? Famine? Envy? Jealousy? Maybe just an instinctive need to battle, a basic drive to test and fight for the sheer sense of fighting. It's too complex. Everyone has a different answer. They all point to the other guy. All you know is that creatures get killed, cities get destroyed. What a way to live. That's why there is a new way- if only it will work. You are part of the new way, a way of sharing. THE END" What!? This 'way of sharing' hadn't been mentioned even once the entire story.

And if you join the side of the shadows, who are fighting against beings of light, you are given the choice to either be a ground soldier or a pilot. Both sound pretty exciting. And after choosing the latter this is all I got: "The rocket ship forces sound the most interesting, and besides, you are trained as a space pilot. Ground forces would be difficult for you. You are promoted to a command rank and put in charge of a large spacecraft with laser rocket weapons. From then on you are in space searching out and destroying alien ships. But you think to yourself, is this any kind of life, forever destroying things? Maybe you will quit. THE END" Why bother giving the reader lots of choices just to keep wrapping them up in one page philosophies. I'm not reading this for half-baked philosophies, I want adventure!

In the same shadows vs light war after choosing to retreat in battle as a soldier the next page reads: "Retreat is not always a bad thing. After all, you should go with what feels right. To fight now would only create further destruction. Enough damage has been done. Level off, give way. Let the other side realize what has been happening, too. As you retreat, the enemy seems to let up in amazement. The smoke clears, the noise stops. They retreat also. There is no more fighting. THE END" ...

And if I didn't retreat right away this was my other choice and ending: "There is a chance to get away. During a quiet moment, your group escapes to some remote hills far away from the battle area. Then something happens. The energy source for the lasers, the spacecrafts, the communications systems, mysteriously vanishes. There is no more energy except your own human energy. Weapons are useless. Radios and transporters are just pieces of metal and plastic. They are not working either. To survive now, you will have to hunt for food and support each other. THE END" I have no idea what happened. And I don't care. This is when I stopped reading. By the way, this page is accompanied by a picture of a caveman fighting a sabertooth tiger with a spear. It's a fine picture but seems like it's from another book. There are 44 (lousy) endings in 117 page book (including full page pictures).

The ONLY positive to this book is that there are a lot of choices, though they end up leading to gibberish. In the original version of the book the art by Paul Granger was another positive. Unfortunately the art choices were kinda dull and/or small and few took advantage of the artist's skill for detailed drawings. Doubly unfortunate is the fact that in this reissued version the art's been replaced by hideous scratchy art. It looks terrible.

Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure #3)
Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure #3) by R. A. Montgomery (Paperback - May 23, 2006)
$6.99