4.0 out of 5 stars An Emotional Read, October 31, 2011
This review is from: Space (Kindle Edition)
I have long been a fan of Emily Sue Harvey and her newest novel Space lived up to what I come to expect from her novels. Her novels never fail to tug on my heart and always leave me feeling hopeful in life and faith. From Song of Renewal, Flavors, Homefires and now with Space she has created worlds that depict life as it is in all it's reality but with a strong emphasis on hope and faith in God.

In Space, Emily Sue Harvey tackles drug addiction and it's very harsh effects on a family. Deede and Dan start out life together with a fantastic marriage. The only thing they really want is a baby and it's the one thing they seem to be having the worst time succeeding at. Deede goes through more tests and procedures than she can count and with each let down she feels as though it'll never happen for them until finally the doctor tells them they won't be able to conceive and they ultimately turn to adoption. However God works in mysterious ways and once Deede and Dan let go of their obsession to have a baby, Deede becomes pregnant. Months later Faith is born and Deede and Dan couldn't be happier.

Yet not all is coming up roses. Faith is the sweetest child but as she grows up trouble seems to be brewing in the air. Things turn for the better for a while though when she marries and has a daughter. It doesn't last though and before they know it Dan and Deede learn that their daughter is a drug addict. Faith starts on drugs innocently enough on painkillers after a surgical procedure but as these things go her drug use escalates to cocaine and further. With this Faith's life spirals out of control and her parent's lives are never the same either.

Dan and Deede lose pretty much everything to Faith's drug addiction especially after, at twenty-nine years old, she moves back in with them because she has absolutely no where else to go. She has no job, no life, and has lost custody of her daughter - all to drugs. The following years are a nightmare for her parents. Faith is impossible to live with and there are many episodes in which Dan and Deedee don't know where she is or if she is even alive. They give up their retirement for her, their nest egg, and pretty much their whole lives just to try to save this daughter of theirs that they had once loved so much and that had given them such joy.

Space really makes us think because just what would you give up for your children if they were strung out on drugs and ultimately ruining your life along with theirs? Would you sacrifice everything or would you resort to tough love and put your child out on the street? For Deede the struggles are great. She loves her daughter and wants to help her even though she knows to some extent she is enabling her. Dan however simply pulls away after one too many stunts on Faith's part and he just pushes her out of his life. Deede feels pulled in both directions. She turns to her faith to help pull her through and despite the hardships she keeps trying to believe in her daughter.

Space is a realistic look at what life could be like with a person who is addicted to drugs and out of control. It shows the devastating effects that drug addiction has on families. It also shows us the everlasting love of family and God. Space is another good read from Emily Sue Harvey. If you like novels that are emotional and Christian based then Space may just be one you'd enjoy. I did!

4.0 out of 5 stars A thought-provoking, moving read., October 29, 2011
This review is from: Space (Kindle Edition)
Space is written by Emily Sue Harvey and published by Story Plant.

Married for over 35 years, Deede and Dan Stowe are a typical American couple who whilst not rich have been able to put a little by for their retirement. All their early married life Deede and Dan tried so desperately for a child of their own. Just as they were about to look into Adoption options, their miracle child, Faith is born.

Their world is turned upside down twenty something years later when Faith has to move back in and they have to support her whilst she tries to recover from being a drug-addict. Their once comfortable and very romantic setting is smashed apart. Faith requires constant care and supervision. The trust is soon broken between the family and their love for each other is really stretched to the limit as well as the purse strings.

Can one couple help their daughter change her path and get her back on track? Do they have enough in reserve to survive this chapter of their lives? Is love enough to save this family?

Emily Sue has written a very moving novel around a deeply troubled story line for this family. She touches beautifully on the emotion of each person as well as the wider family around them.

There is a lovely bond between the Mother and daughter even when things are at their lowest and you really feel the pain for Deede when all she is trying to do is help Faith but also understand how her darling husbands feels.

Not knowing much about the drug world, I found that this was not a problem as Emily Sue really explains the paths, the experiences and the effect these drugs can have not just on the person taking them but everyone around.

I truly thought-provoking story and extremely well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, November 4, 2011
This review is from: Space (Kindle Edition)
Emily Sue Harvey did more than develope characters. She created people. People I could relate to, people I might know. The story was so engrossing that I often forgot that I was reading fiction.

Dan and Deede Stout prayed for a child. After years of trying they were blessed with a daughter. The perfect daughter. Until she was introduced to drugs.

Space takes you on the journey that Dan and Deede take to save their daughter. It's a wonderful story and a must read for anyone who believes in the power of faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Loved It!!!, February 21, 2012
This review is from: Space (Kindle Edition)
When I chose this book from the free list, I had no idea it would impact me the way it did. You see, Faith could've been my daughter's name. I related to Dan & Deede Stowe in so many, many ways.So many emotions involved for me, because I felt all of them, sadness, fear, anger, frustration and finally, relief when things started turning around. Without giving away too much information, the only negative I have for this book would be that I wish there had been more dialogue from "Faith" about how she came to the realizations of what she needed to do to become a useful member of society. The entire family suffered with her through that period in her life. They leaned on the everlasting arms of the Father, but they were human as well. Dan & Deede struggled through, just like Faith did. This book made such an impact on me that I plan to read it again, and will probably purchase a "hard copy" of it to keep as a reminder that when we walk through this life there are many trials and tribulations, but the Lord always promises sunshine after the rain....

4.0 out of 5 stars Space, October 24, 2011
This review is from: Space (Kindle Edition)
I am confused on how I should feel about this book. I took a journey with the Stowe family through an amazing labyrinth of twist and turns, and I felt the emotions that went on in the family. I was worried reading this that it may bring up some tough memories of mine, but since the point of view wasn't the same as mine, it gave me insight rather then sorrow. The point of view was that of the mother and how she handled her daughter recovering from drug abuse and how she also viewed her husband's own way to handle the situation. I really gained a new perspective on what a mother would go through with a child recovering. It also shows that to help someone from drugs it takes more then a mom and dad, you need extended family to help them through. Priss, the mother's sister, is one of my favorite characters and how she was always there for the family. She did not judge or turn away she stayed strongly by the families side.

I felt depressed during the hard times, and thought why am I reading this, I like to feel good. I even felt the glimmers of hope that would give encouragement to keep trying, which in turn kept me going. I also wanted to see if all the struggle really was worth it in the end. I loved the reference to a bald eagles life, in its forties it has to choose a painful choice if it wants to live longer. The book's title is also a great reference to the book, there really isn't a better title for it. Space is a big theme in this book. I can honestly say that I am glad I chose to read this book and gain some more insight on such a hard subject that has left some damage in my own life.

4.0 out of 5 stars How Far Would You Go For Love?, October 18, 2011
This review is from: Space (Kindle Edition)
This book does tend to focus on the Christian faith. The family depicted are Christians and they rely heavily on their faith to get them through. If you are not Christian, or are but tired of it being pushed at you in books, please do not let that deter you from reading this book. Emily Sue has written a truly compelling book. This is a truly honest,vivid look at the cost of drug addiction and family. This book, while being heart wrenching, is very inspiring. It is a testament to love and the ability to change yourself when change is all that is left. I actually give this book 4 and a half stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, October 14, 2011
This review is from: Space (Kindle Edition)
This is another book that I have received in the past two (2) weeks that have had me crying, very hard. This book brought me back to my early 20's. When I was using drugs and abusing Alcohol. I also almost lost everything that was near and dear to me. I am so happy that this character had a mother and father that would still love her and give her the tough love that she needed. I on the other hand feel that was not the case for me.

Faith and I had a lot in common in this book. I was able to see from her point of view and understand the way she was acting and the way she thought. It reminded me of myself way to much! The story line of Faith was so realistic and so poignant that I was not able to put the book down. The way Ms Harvey writes the character Faith it is hard not to be sucked into the story. I feel that Ms Harvey should of written a bit more from Faith's point of view. That way those that have never had to deal with something like this could truly understand how Faith was feeling. Why Faith was doing what she was doing, how she fell into that world. I feel that to understand her world more closely I understand that abusing drugs and alcohol is a selfish thing, but there are reasons on why people fall into it's grasp.

I truly enjoyed reading this book from the family point of view. I got to see inside how the family reacts to someone abusing drugs and alcohol. I got to see that there are those people that will love the abuser no matter what. I now understand why people would not trust a person who abuses these vices. The way that Ms Harvey wrote the story from the family's point of view was extremely helpful to myself. I now understand some of the thinking of my own family when they had to deal with me and my abusing.

This story is a story that once you read it you will not be able to put down the book. Many of days my children would watch me reading the book while making a meal or snack for them. Homeschooling them while I was reading this book was a bit torturous for me since I wanted to read the book and finish it. I feel that this is a must have book, even if you are not going through the events within the book. I feel everyone needs to see what happens when you abuse drugs and alcohol.

****I received a copy of this book for my honest review****

4.0 out of 5 stars a nice change of pace book for me, October 12, 2011
This review is from: Space (Kindle Edition)
I had the opportunity to read Space by Emily Sue Harvey before its September 13th, 2011, publication date and found it to be an enjoyable book. It tells the story of Deede and Dan Stowe, a couple who has been married thirty-five years. But as they are about to celebrate this milestone, their world is turned upside-down when they learn that their grown daughter Faith has a drug-addiction problem. From there, the book unfolds of the daily struggles of a near-retired couple having to deal with a troubled child who has returned to the nest.

I found the prologue quickly pulled me into the world of the Stowes and their extended family the Eagles. I appreciated how the author used episodic flashbacks to fill in the back history as needed. The characters came across as real and multi-faceted. The author did not rely upon stereotypes or cliches to round out their personalities; she provided them with both strengths and flaws.

This typically is not the type of book I would actively read. I am more of a sci-fi/fantasy/thriller kind of reader. Space is very much a personal/domestic/real-life drama. But, there were pieces of this story that really clicked with me and that's what made it so difficult to put down.

Space