4.0 out of 5 stars He Likes Rock!
Published on May 26, 2006 by Jordan Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Master shredder turned pop and punk.
Everyone knows Gilbert's prowess as a master shredder. Most speed players are naturally drawn to instrumentals since that style doesn't normally fit the style of a 'rock & roll band'. This album took me by surprise because not only is Gilbert attempting to mold his shred-a-listic style to a more accepted rock and pop type format, he actually sings. His singing is adequate...
Published on December 8, 2011 by JMP

4.0 out of 5 stars He Likes Rock!, May 26, 2006
Jordan Smith (Sheffield, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Space Ship One (Audio CD)
This is brilliant. So there are modern solo artists out there with actual talent. It's not all James Blunt soppy acoustic rubbish. Here's Paul Gilbert formerly of Racer X and Mr. Big. And can I just say he rocks. Heavily influenced by Edward Van Halen the man is what I call a "shredding machine" that can be seen on the song here Jackhammer. But he's also talented in the slower music department too which some heavy metal shred Gods don't seem to be. Even his inspiration Van Halen has taken tips from him, although it may not be widely known Gilbert used a drill to create a sound through his guitar pick-ups before Eddie did it on Poundcake in 1991. Anyway this album is Brilliant the title track is constantly in my Top 10 Most Played Songs on iTunes. Gilbert also experiments with a cover version of a George Harrison song and sings Japanese. It's important to understand Gilbert isn't as serious as say Steve Vai or Yngwie Malmsteen however. He loves humour at the same time. This album was recorded with Gilbert's "Burning Organ" band and is in my opinion probably the best record since then!

4.0 out of 5 stars It rocks. But it rocked catchier before, April 13, 2005
This review is from: Spaceship One (Audio CD)
I received my Japan-imported CD today.

OK, this album does not work as quick as the albums before, I didn't have a favourite tune in my ear after hearing it once.

But Paul Gilbert plays and sings his songs nevertheless with passion and you can just hear him enjoying every note.

And after a few times hearing it though, the songs got catchier every time. After 4 times hearing it in a row, i can hardly sit still in my chair. Paul Gilbert still rocks.

I rated 4 stars, because Paul caught me with albums like Alligator Farm a bit faster. But the CD is still a must have for every Gilbert Fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Space Ship One DOES rules!, June 21, 2005
Pericles Rocha (Sao Paulo, Brasil) - See all my reviews
AWESOME

There is no way one may not enjoy listening to this album. It is funny, rhythmic, and cool and as everything else that Paul Gilbert does, very impressive musically speaking.

Paul Gilbert is one of the most important guitar legends of all times and he does not need to prove anything. I guess that's what makes his music so enjoyable - he is not interested into giving away a thousand notes in one second at all times. Nothing he plays is unnecessary. He can play a real simply lead guitar with the exact right notes and he can play (and he still does whenever necessary) the most amazing guitar solo you have ever heard. He is by far the most complete guitarist, technically speaking. He is faster than Malmsteen (refer to the Racer X stuff) and funnier than Steve Vai. He combines his fascinating guitar playing and good taste for music with very simple pop songs and the funniest lyrics.

If you are:

- A guitar player, you will like this album because of Paul Gilbert's always very impressive solos and guitar style;

- A pop fan, you will like this album because you can dance while listening to it all day;

- A drummer, you will like this album because it features Marco Minnemann on drums who is one of the best drummers today;

- A rock fan, you will like this album because it really rocks!!

- A Mr. Big/Racer X/Paul G fan, you will like this album because he will not disappoint you with his terrifying guitar playing.

- I enjoyed Burning Organ and now I'm enjoying Space Ship One 24 hours/day.

Paul Gilbert really is the man...

5.0 out of 5 stars Space Ship One just rules indeed...., April 1, 2008
This review is from: Space Ship One (Audio CD)
As an old 80's metalhead and guitar player myself, I was already WELL aware of Paul's guitar playing abilities. So I picked this up on a whim one day, and quite frankly, I was blown the #*%& away!!
I had no idea he was this talented a song writer and singer.
I purchased this a week ago, and I haven't stopped playing it almost non-stop yet.
The ONLY reason several of these songs weren't top of the charts hits is that Mtv, Rolling Stone, etc., is nothing but a GD popularity contest.
I now plan on purchasing ALL of his solo albums, and have already ordered a couple of them... yep, this album IS that good....

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff!, June 17, 2006
This review is from: Space Ship One (Audio CD)
Hey, this is a great CD! Nice work by Paul and the boys. Terrible Man, and of course SVT really smoke, but I also like We All Dream Of Love and Boku No Atama, although I don't know what the last song is about, but it sure is a great song anyway. This CD makes a great gift as it has songs that will please all who listen.

Humboldt Jim

4.0 out of 5 stars Space Ship One just rules!, May 14, 2005
This review is from: Spaceship One (Audio CD)
While this album didn't catch me as fast as Burning Organ did, it is still worth the price to hear Paul and his Osmonds/Beatles vocals and blasting guitar riffs. The title cut is very catchy with very tricky guitar parts - a great opening tune. I'm looking forward to the DVD coming out in June!!

The band is very tight with Marco Minnemann on Drums and Linus of Hollywoood on Bass. Buy it today!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun...., March 8, 2006
This review is from: Space Ship One (Audio CD)
This is a really "fun" Paul Gilbert album. It does not have tons of flashy guitar work like old school RacerX, but it does have great songs. Very fun and catchy tunes with an 80's sort of style. If you are PG fan, it's definitely worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting - possibly the best "surprise" album I've ever bought., December 10, 2013
This review is from: Space Ship One (Audio CD)
Bought this after hearing "Jackhammer" so many times, and it seemed like it was hard to come by, so I assumed it must've been a classic. Based on that track and what little I know of Paul Gilbert, I assumed I was going to get an interesting album full of instrumental guitar tunes harking back to the 80s. Quite the shock when the very first tune was chock full of lyrics. Then the next. And the one after that, etc... A front-to-back album full of great songs - no stinkers in the bunch. Clever, amusing lyrics, namely on the tracks "SVT" - an ode to monstrously heavy bass amps ("Heavier than I can lift / you will know when I have riffed") - as well as "Every Hot Girl Is A Rock Star" - possibly my favorite tune from the album. If Paul's inspirations aren't apparent enough from listening to the tracks on this album, there's even the excellent Beatles cover "It's All Too Much" to drive it home. This is simply an album full of catchy, well written, well produced and (maybe it goes without saying?) expertly performed songs that you'll find yourself whistling or humming to long after the last track has ended.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's the song, man!, June 29, 2013
This review is from: Space Ship One (Audio CD)
Paul Gilbert focuses on "what's good for the song" in this album. The songs are poppy, catchy, and the shred takes a back seat. And that's OK!
If you are looking for a Paul Gilbert shred-tastic instrumental album then look elsewhere, like at his later stuff. The songs are well-crafted, almost-but-not-quite "formula", with Beatles and 60's grooves and harmonies. Tasty guitar, some punk flavoring.
Just a fun album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shred Happy Tunes That Should Be On The Airwaves, June 29, 2012
This review is from: Space Ship One (Audio CD)
I loved Paul since I first heard his completely instrumental album Get Out Of My Yard. I didn't know for a year that he actually had older stuff where he sang! Listening to this album be Burning Organ back to back is pop rock bliss. The band backing him know how to play off Paul's legendary chops and anyone who can record or hold a stage with Paul is a great musician in their own right. Paul is here at the top of his game lyrically, musically, and his humor checks in. The album rocks right from the start with Space Ship One and only slows down for an acoustic instrumental that breaks up the record and adds variety, and a good ballad about a good man. Paul has a good singing voice and his guitar playing is no pun intended out of this world. If you are knew to Paul you might not want to start here, but this isn't a bad place to start at all. I love all of Paul's music, but out of his singing albums this is the second best. You might want to listen to just his guitar chops or start with Burning Organ.

Space Ship One
Space Ship One by Paul Gilbert (Audio CD - 2005)
Rate and Discover Movies