Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
[UPDATED] asked by BWX on May 9, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 answers
A
You're not losing all that space to any "formatting", you're just prey to marketing and confusing computer lingo. Hard drive manufacturers dictate a 1GB as 1,000,000,000,000 bytes whereas Windows calculates 1GB it as 1,073,741,824. Technically speaking, windows version of GB really should be referred to as GiB rather than GB. A 500GB hard drive sold by Maxtor/WD/Seagate etc. will show in windows as 465.5 GB. Just as these 8GB cards show as 7.44GB. For simplifying, you can pretty much divide the stated capacity by 1.074 to see what you're actually going to get.
SEC answered on January 2, 2010
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
"Pawel says: just format and u get empty card "

I did format (on my PC) and I got 7.31 and 7.46 GB on those cards as I said in original post. By "empty" do you mean 8GB? That's what I was wondering..
BWX answered on May 18, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Formatting a Flash Drive (like formatting a hard drive on a PC) does two things: (1) removes the index to all files and (2) removes references to bad sectors. In all likelihood, this is why one of the memory cards reports a smaller size
J. Ajzenman answered on June 3, 2010
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I never gave it much thought so I checked mine. I have an 8GB Kingston elite pro card which actually has a 7.49GB capacity.
Will answered on May 19, 2009

A
Morlok says: "I never gave it much thought so I checked mine. I have an 8GB Kingston elite pro card which actually has a 7.49GB capacity."

Yup, that makes sense. I checked out my third one and it has the same as the other one, 7.46GB- so it must just be the space needed to format. It must be like regular Fat32 HD in a PC, (or NTFS for that matter), they both take up quite a bit of space just for the format.
BWX answered on May 20, 2009

A
that doesn't explain the difference between the two identical cards, read OP........
BWX answered on January 3, 2010

A
bump?
BWX answered on May 11, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
just format and u get empty card
Pawel answered on May 18, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
[Deleted by the author on May 18, 2009 9:36:00 PM PDT]