Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on February 3, 2004
In this world, there are some highly, um, "unique" individuals dedicated to the pursuit of the most godawful, obscure, unintentionally comedic films ever made. These people (the demented folks found at jabootu.com number among them) seek out these paragons of epochal cheesiness and morbid stupidity and turn them into objects of cult worship for their unintentional badness. From silly low-budget B-films to massive Hollywood failures, no target is safe from these fanatics.
I mention jabootu.com in particular, for contained on their site lies an in-depth (and totally spot-on) analysis of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, absolutely the worst Star Wars film to make it to theatres. That movie was a complete vanity picture devoted to Mr. Shatner's character, Capt. James T. Kirk.
Which brings us to the topic of this review. The "Best" Of compilation dedicated to Shatner and his co-star Leonard Nimoy, appropriately titled Spaced Out is the direct musical equivalent to the aforementioned waste of cinema. Shatner and Nimoy lend their "talents" to this album, and the result is complete unintentional hilarity. From Shatner's hammy, dead-serious, overdramatic readings of Dylan and Sheakespeare to Nimoy's earnest yet completely off-key renditions of pop tunes and silly spoken-word bits (done in Vulcan mode), the discriminating conoisseur of all that is tasteless and awful will be in stitches.
Shatner's renditions are definitely the best..er, most memorable of the lot ("Mister Tambourine Man......MISTER TAMBOURINE MAN!!!!") but he doesn't get as much time as Nimoy, whose renditions of pop and soft rock standards of the day such as If I Had A Hammer, Sunny, and Ruby Don't Take Your Love To Town "benefit" from his mediocre baritone vocals. Of special note on the Nimoy side is The Ballad Of Bilbo Baggins, an abridged version of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit set to music that is wonderfully deranged, and almost as funny as Shatner's material.
I can't reccommend this guilty pleasure to everyone, as not all will have a taste for music that is almost completely without any technical merit. However, those of the "so bad it's good" persuasion (like me, I suppose) will find this gut-bustingly hiliarious. If you are such an individual, this is indispensable to your collection. Spaced Out also makes the ideal gift for, say, your inlaws. For similar badness, also seek out non-music by Yoko Ono, David Hasslehoff, and Rhino's Golden Throats compilations.
on January 24, 2001
Okay. You know 'em, you love 'em. But what are they doing singing and romping through musical mayhem? Nimoy comes off a bit worse than Shatner in my opinion because he actually sings, but with such profound mediocrity that he comes off looking amateurish. Still, it's Spock for goshsakes!
Shatner, on the other hand, does not attempt to sing at all. He is offering dramatic readings of songs, and I think this was his aim. He is not trying to get away with talking through the songs; he is interpreting the songs dramatically. In 1978, at a Sci Fi convention, he performed Elton John's "Rocket Man" in similar fashion. There was music, he was speaking, and his little oral interpretation exercise came off as just that. So my judgement of Shatner is better than my judgement of Nimoy, simply because seen as dramatic readings, they work. If you try to put them into the category of "singing" or even "music," these are not appropriate categories.
So get the CD, especially if you are a Star Trek fan. How can you live without it?
on November 29, 2010
I mainly ordered this because I wanted my girlfriend to here "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds". I was actually surprised to find some of the spoken word tracks to be interesting and Nimoy can actually hold a tune. I am not saying these tracks are under-rated. There is nothing here worthy of a Grammy, and the back up band on most of the Shatner tracks sounds like the same bunch that did the music for the original Star Trek show, but you may find yourself listening to it several times. The two stars of the show are definitely Shatner's renditions of "Lucy" and "Mr. Tambourine Man." Both of which are un-believably awful. The sample tracks provide a pretty good idea of what you are getting. Enjoy but don't expect to laugh yourself into tears of every track.
on July 15, 1999
When I heard "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" I never laughed so hard in my life. If you need a good gag gift you should buy this record.
on February 22, 2012
This partners worked well in movies and now on CD. Nimoy, surprisenly, sings. Shatner used to sing in everywhere, but Spock was something different...
on January 11, 2009
I bought the CD as a joke gift. I'm sure it's some of Kirk's and Spock's best work. I just wish they were backed by the wall of sound studios of Phil Spector. I didn't even listen to it, but I'd recommend the Spock solos - live long & prosper!
on August 29, 2015
Amusing collection. Nimbly has fairly good voice, good selection of songs. Am. Shatner should never be allowed to sing. Never
on November 13, 2006
In my humble opinion:

Spaced Out is good and worthwhile to me as it supplies the only recordings of Leonard Nimoy songs in my collection. Just owning a rendition of Mr. Nimoy singing the Hobbit song alone is worth the entire purchase price to me.

I do hope that Mr. Shatner and Mr. Nimoy enjoyed making these recordings. They have earned more than enough laurels in their long and distinguished careers entertaining us to be allow leeway in the remainder of their careers for fun and experimentation in whatever endevors they choose.