5.0 out of 5 stars A useful lesson for kids
Published on August 17, 2008 by M. Rutledge

3.0 out of 5 stars Great premise, but just ok
Published on November 28, 2011 by P. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful lesson for kids, August 17, 2008
It's so hard for kids to be who they really are - with the media and harsh 'cool kids' at school dictating what's 'right' and 'wrong' - Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun helps drive home the message that being different is what's actually cool. And being mean - isn't! I love this book and wish all kids (and many adults actually!), had the chance to read it. It's a life lesson that'll carry them through some tough times. The illustrations are really cute, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from Books That Heal Kids, December 22, 2010
The title sure grabs you and so will the story. As an elementary school counselor it's got everything I need to talk to students about differences and bullying. But here's what I really drove home with the kids when reading the story - it can be difficult to show respect to someone who is mistreating you. I see this in my school ALL the time. Kids (and adults by the way) see this as a way to protect and defend themselves.

Enter Lucy. More like, enter KIND CHILD, who does what is right and shows kids you don't have to bully back to win. We need to make kindness more popular than bullying! I'm so passionate about this...okay anyways.....she is taunted and teased by Ralph, but doesn't give in to the temptation to bully back. She rises above because of her grandfather's words in the first few pages, "Remember, when you treat others with love and kindness, you are doing the right thing."

Okay, call me crazy but I still believe in the magic of smothering 'mean' people with kindness. Essentially this lets them know they can't push your buttons. This doesn't mean we want our kids to turn into a bunch of door mats. But we want them to use the BEST PART of who they are and not join in on the 'back and forth' bully game. Lately, I'm teaching more about empathy, compassion, and being your best self. Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun has reminded me of one of the ultimate strategies to combat bullying - respect, kindness, and be your best self. Recently, I had a student report to me at recess that she had just received a put down. When I asked how she responded, her response was, "I said - I'm sorry you are having a bad day. And then I just walked away." And I just stood there with my mouth hanging open. (i love my job!) This was one of the role plays the kids and I worked on. Don't doubt the power of assertive kindness ever! Maria's books are making a DAILY difference in my school. Kids are learning how to WIN when it comes to bullying - and sometimes it comes in the form of kindness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book for Kids, April 1, 2010
L. Hunt (White Lake, MI) - See all my reviews
I wanted to find a special book to read to my daughter's first grade class that addressed bullying a bit, but also that words hurt. This book covered that as well as delivering the message to always be the best person you can be even though kids around you are being mean. Be true to yourself. The teacher loved the book and the message. I would definitely recommend this book. The kids enjoyed it very much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish all children were like Lucy!, August 17, 2008
Book Worm Wange (Orchard Lake, MI USA) - See all my reviews
As a kid, I was seldomly picked on in school. Reading this book, reminded me of how mean some kids can truly be. Being a bully isn't a cool thing at all. This is a wonderful book for children of all ages! A critical lesson is learned on how to help make this world a happier place with less bully's!

Beautiful artwork compliments this heartfelt story!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great premise, but just ok, November 28, 2011
I was looking for a book with a message about it being OK to be different or to be yourself no matter what. This book had tons of good reviews and the cover illustration looked great so I bought it and gave it to my kindergartner for Christmas. He liked the picture on the front and wanted to read it, but after the first time, he never asked for it again. He had some questions when we were reading it, like "why would someone eat spaghetti in a hot dog bun?" And "why would someone else tease them about it?" And he's completely familiar with big curly hair - that's what I have. Nothing odd or funny about it to him. So, the whole premise was sort of lost on him. He didn't really see the "different-ness" of the main character. And I agreed. I mean, I got the point and all, but for a child that truly knows what it's like to be different, that spaghetti in a hot dog bun thing was sort of minor and a little meaningless. There's nothing even odd to most children in the U.S. about spaghetti or hot dog buns. Yeah, it's a weird combination, but not THAT weird. And it's likely that most children know another child with curly hair. Those are not the types of things most kids get picked on for. Doing odd, "different", things - yes. But eating spaghetti in a hot dog bun wasn't a good example. And looking different? Again, yes! But not so much just for curly hair. The story just doesn't seem real or plausible.

So, for the premise and the effort and the cute picture and the ability to start a conversation, I think it's an OK book. But I think there are books out there that do a better job. For a picture book about a child who feels picked on for what she eats try Rosemary Well's "Yoko" or even "A Bad Case of Stripes [BAD CASE OF STRIPES] [Hardcover]" by David Shannon. And for picture books about other "different-nesses" try "Chrysanthemum Big Book" by Kevin Henkes or "Chocolate Me!" by Taye Diggs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, February 4, 2011
This is a cute book with a good message - but that message is not about "having the courage to be who you are". Its really more about being kind and treating everybody with respect- no matter how they treat you. Again - a cute book, but it is not serving the purpose that I intended it to when I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching Both Head and Heart, January 14, 2011
This book offers a simple story with a powerful message couched in lovely illustrations. Anyone who has ever felt 'less than okay' - and who of us hasn't - can empathize with this little girl who is struggling to be true to herself. This story helps children understand that feelings may be hurt, but that knowing who you are and seeking to understand the needs of others makes all the difference.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute illustrations, but a little lacking in the story line., September 4, 2011
This review is from: Spaghetti in A Hot Dog Bun: Having the Courage to Be Who You Are (Paperback)
It was okay. Thought I could use it in my classroom for older elementary students, but cannot.
Will give it to a small child who will enjoy the pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars great story and values, February 26, 2011
I read this story to my Pre-K class and they were very attentive and thoughtful about it. I appreciate that it taught children the golden rule "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." A great example of how things can work out when we choose to act according to our conscience and not our emotion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sweet, January 1, 2014
I chose this book first because it was affordable, secondly because we have had bully issues around my home. I think it was a good way to show that kindness can penetrate even a bullys heart

Spaghetti in A Hot Dog Bun: Having the Courage to Be Who You Are
Spaghetti in A Hot Dog Bun: Having the Courage to Be Who You Are by Maria Dismondy (Paperback - August 15, 2008)
$9.95 $6.00