4.0 out of 5 stars sturdy
this seemed like an easy job but was a little confusing using the directions - there are 2 booklets. definitely two (moderately strong) people to actually put up the hoop with this, and 2 ladders. seems very sturdy once all the directions are figured out.
Published on May 25, 2007 by E. Caraher

Published on June 22, 2010 by Uriel Cool

1.0 out of 5 stars The biggest piece of crap since actual crap (except actual crap is better because it's free)., June 22, 2010
Uriel Cool (The Great White North) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spalding 8406S Universal Mounting Bracket (Sports)
I bought this mounting bracket to install my Huffy backboard. The backboard company, Huffy, recommended the installation bracket. No big shock since they are both the same company (which I found out later). Anyhow, right away I could tell this wasn't going to be easy or fun. The holes in the mounting bracket were drilled wrong so I had to re-drill new holes, through metal (yay), just to put the bracket together. But then I discover, after drilling the holes, that the assembly requires 14 of a particular nut/bolt/washer set, and the package only comes with twelve. When you read the parts manifest it even says it comes with 12. But when you put it together, it instructs you to use 14, and shows 14 in the diagrams. Nice.

Okay, moving on. When you get to page 13 of the instruction manual and you are realizing that they've (The Chinese) screwed you out of the essential tools and parts which render this mounting bracket obsolete, you discover a little note on the bottom of the page which states: The hardware required to mount this bracket to the wall is NOT included. What? What did I buy then? Where's the hardware set for the hardware? How is this universal?! You mean to tell me that you can assemble the whole thing (if you're a freaking mechanical engineer, that is), only to discover that you have to prop the thing against the wall because you can't hang it on the wall of the garage?! And then, the whole time you're trying not to lose your mind, you have your kids there saying over and over again in some nightmare of a litany, "Dad, when will it be ready? Dad, when will it be ready?"

So what do you do? You call customer service and guess what? An answering machine. Always an answering machine. They NEVER answer the phone. Evidently they screen their calls. So by the time you've called them three times, and they can tell you're a bit peeved, forget about getting a call back. Never gonna happen, chap.

My advice. Go to the Salvation Army, buy some rusty old rim, and screw that hoop directly to the wall. That way, at least, the only screwing that will have been done is by you, and not to you.

4.0 out of 5 stars sturdy, May 25, 2007

2.0 out of 5 stars Bolts that break during assembly, March 17, 2011
This review is from: Spalding 8406S Universal Mounting Bracket (Sports)
The bolt that are included with the mounting kit aresub standard. Everytime I tightened a bolt to the hardware the bolt snapped off. I ended up buying stronger nuts and bolts from Home Depot to complte the job.

4.0 out of 5 stars You have to buy 2 for the roof mounting, October 5, 2009
This review is from: Spalding 8406S Universal Mounting Bracket (Sports)
This bracket kit is very well made, and the instructions are good. We needed to mount it on the garage roof, we have a very small yard and cannot keep moving a pole mounted set up. We decided to mount it on the garage roof. First I called Spalding to be sure it was the right bracket, they recommended another model that looks very large and it pops off the roof a lot, We did not think it was very sturdy, so we opted for this one. The picture at Amazon does not match the photo on the box, we had a gutter coming off the roof, so we had to purchase 2 sets of this bracket since the ones that come on one kit did not fit properly on the roof, not enough clearance (not long enough). After buying both kits we salvage enough parts from each to securely mount the rig on the roof at the correct pitch and angle; with enough clearance. This turned out to be cheaper and better than buying a more expensive rig. We will post the final photos soon. If you are mounting on a roof you need at least 2 people, several power tools and you must buy the long screws and nuts to secure it to the roof properly. We used several pieces of 1x2s with washers on the inside of the roof for security. We also bought some roofing cement to cover any gaps on the roof. You can opt to have a professional mount it for you if you do not want to climb on the roof with ladders to secure this thing. We recommend you figure out the rig before mounting it on the roof. The rim is relatively painless to mount once you have the backboard mounted on the roof. The kids are playing for an hour everyday after school. See my other review of the rim and backing board we bought with these brackets.

2.0 out of 5 stars Required some re-engineering., May 27, 2009
R. Rollman (Indian River, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spalding 8406S Universal Mounting Bracket (Sports)
This is the proper installation kit for this backboard. But the instructions are confusing.
And some of the holes are drilled wrong. I had to cut one of the braces and re-drill a hole.
It is almost impossible to install alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost universal, January 27, 2009
Gman (San Bruno, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spalding 8406S Universal Mounting Bracket (Sports)
Bought this to hang my daughter's Lifetime back board. The installation went pretty smoothly, but the spacing between the upper and lower mounting point on the backboard is bigger on the Lifetime than what is allowed by the arm connecting the upper and lower bracket. I substituted the arm that is supposed to be for roof mounting, and everything worked out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for my Application, August 16, 2009
This review is from: Spalding 8406S Universal Mounting Bracket (Sports)
Thought it would cover all applications but my pole set up (25 yrs old) was not compatible.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not OK for all roof mounts, March 28, 2011
This review is from: Spalding 8406S Universal Mounting Bracket (Sports)
If you're trying to mount a backboard on a low pitch roof and over a rain gutter, you will need lots more parts. Being a retired mechanical engineer with 40 years product design I headed to my nearest hardware store and purchased 18" long angles and drilled them to fit. I used the included short angles to extend the support arms so they could reach my 3 pitch roof and hold the backboard vertically. Unless your roof is steep and there is no rain gutter, I suggest you don't buy this kit and head to your nearest hardware store (not a big box home improvement store) and ask for advice to complete this job.

3.0 out of 5 stars very confusing, April 19, 2010
E. Sauer "momsauer3" (Pickerington, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spalding 8406S Universal Mounting Bracket (Sports)
The picture of this bracket being used on a garage-mounted backboard is very misleading. The universal mounting bracket does not have enough parts to mount this backboard out far enough over the gutters of a house. The picture shows it mounted as such- but with close examination of the picture, there are actually two of these mounting brackets being used. So, if you are planning on ordering this bracket for wall-mount or pole-mount you will be fine. But, if you are mounting to a roof that has gutters that project out past the roof, you will need two of these brackets to mount as the picture shows. We ended up deciding the kids will screw up the house if they miss too many shots, so we just ordered a pole to put in the ground instead of another set of brackets. Found a great spalding pole for $87 on the walmart web site.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works...sorta, September 13, 2010
Joe (BROOKLYN, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spalding 8406S Universal Mounting Bracket (Sports)
I can see this mount working very well for wall or pole mounting. Would be perfect if the pitch on the garage was steeper but I had to use some spare angle iron to replace (lengthen) some of the parts. I only used about half the parts in the kit for roof mounting. Better grade bolts could have been provided. If I were to do it again, I would have just used angle iron from the hardware store for my specific application.

Spalding 8406S Universal Mounting Bracket
$44.85 $33.98
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.
Rate and Discover Movies