Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro STEM

on June 22, 2010
I bought this mounting bracket to install my Huffy backboard. The backboard company, Huffy, recommended the installation bracket. No big shock since they are both the same company (which I found out later). Anyhow, right away I could tell this wasn't going to be easy or fun. The holes in the mounting bracket were drilled wrong so I had to re-drill new holes, through metal (yay), just to put the bracket together. But then I discover, after drilling the holes, that the assembly requires 14 of a particular nut/bolt/washer set, and the package only comes with twelve. When you read the parts manifest it even says it comes with 12. But when you put it together, it instructs you to use 14, and shows 14 in the diagrams. Nice.

Okay, moving on. When you get to page 13 of the instruction manual and you are realizing that they've (The Chinese) screwed you out of the essential tools and parts which render this mounting bracket obsolete, you discover a little note on the bottom of the page which states: The hardware required to mount this bracket to the wall is NOT included. What? What did I buy then? Where's the hardware set for the hardware? How is this universal?! You mean to tell me that you can assemble the whole thing (if you're a freaking mechanical engineer, that is), only to discover that you have to prop the thing against the wall because you can't hang it on the wall of the garage?! And then, the whole time you're trying not to lose your mind, you have your kids there saying over and over again in some nightmare of a litany, "Dad, when will it be ready? Dad, when will it be ready?"

So what do you do? You call customer service and guess what? An answering machine. Always an answering machine. They NEVER answer the phone. Evidently they screen their calls. So by the time you've called them three times, and they can tell you're a bit peeved, forget about getting a call back. Never gonna happen, chap.

My advice. Go to the Salvation Army, buy some rusty old rim, and screw that hoop directly to the wall. That way, at least, the only screwing that will have been done is by you, and not to you.
88 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2011
The bolt that are included with the mounting kit aresub standard. Everytime I tightened a bolt to the hardware the bolt snapped off. I ended up buying stronger nuts and bolts from Home Depot to complte the job.
on May 25, 2007
this seemed like an easy job but was a little confusing using the directions - there are 2 booklets. definitely two (moderately strong) people to actually put up the hoop with this, and 2 ladders. seems very sturdy once all the directions are figured out.
on October 5, 2009
This bracket kit is very well made, and the instructions are good. We needed to mount it on the garage roof, we have a very small yard and cannot keep moving a pole mounted set up. We decided to mount it on the garage roof. First I called Spalding to be sure it was the right bracket, they recommended another model that looks very large and it pops off the roof a lot, We did not think it was very sturdy, so we opted for this one. The picture at Amazon does not match the photo on the box, we had a gutter coming off the roof, so we had to purchase 2 sets of this bracket since the ones that come on one kit did not fit properly on the roof, not enough clearance (not long enough). After buying both kits we salvage enough parts from each to securely mount the rig on the roof at the correct pitch and angle; with enough clearance. This turned out to be cheaper and better than buying a more expensive rig. We will post the final photos soon. If you are mounting on a roof you need at least 2 people, several power tools and you must buy the long screws and nuts to secure it to the roof properly. We used several pieces of 1x2s with washers on the inside of the roof for security. We also bought some roofing cement to cover any gaps on the roof. You can opt to have a professional mount it for you if you do not want to climb on the roof with ladders to secure this thing. We recommend you figure out the rig before mounting it on the roof. The rim is relatively painless to mount once you have the backboard mounted on the roof. The kids are playing for an hour everyday after school. See my other review of the rim and backing board we bought with these brackets.
on January 27, 2009
Bought this to hang my daughter's Lifetime back board. The installation went pretty smoothly, but the spacing between the upper and lower mounting point on the backboard is bigger on the Lifetime than what is allowed by the arm connecting the upper and lower bracket. I substituted the arm that is supposed to be for roof mounting, and everything worked out.
on May 27, 2009
This is the proper installation kit for this backboard. But the instructions are confusing.
And some of the holes are drilled wrong. I had to cut one of the braces and re-drill a hole.
It is almost impossible to install alone.
on August 27, 2012
There are two things wrong with this item

1.) Universal is a very loose term here. If you have excellent spatial intelligence you MAY be able to figure out ways to mount your backboard to your pole after several hours of trying various things. When you do see the solution it will be less than ideal. I had supplement my own parts to make my backboard fit in the end.

2.) There are not enough parts or bolts to do what you likely need to do. You may have to buy another mount set to get more of the parts you need or do what I did and find parts in your garage and from the original backboard mount you had.

POOR POOR value for what you get.
on March 28, 2011
If you're trying to mount a backboard on a low pitch roof and over a rain gutter, you will need lots more parts. Being a retired mechanical engineer with 40 years product design I headed to my nearest hardware store and purchased 18" long angles and drilled them to fit. I used the included short angles to extend the support arms so they could reach my 3 pitch roof and hold the backboard vertically. Unless your roof is steep and there is no rain gutter, I suggest you don't buy this kit and head to your nearest hardware store (not a big box home improvement store) and ask for advice to complete this job.
on April 29, 2013
On the box it says universal. Only when you open the box, in the tiniest print on page 7 of the instructions does it define universal as 'fits all Spaulding hoops'. That's right folks, it's universal for Spaulding only. Just in case my sarcasm isn't coming through, that is NOT universal. False advertising.
on March 4, 2015
Really like this board & basket. So far we feel great quality & sturdy. We placed in on the north side of our home & so it is protected from sun & other harsh effects of weather here in Southern California.