Industrial Deals GG Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Ty Dolla Sign egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on December 27, 2011
This will be a two-part review ... the product, and the installation.

It's the best portable system I've seen (and I've seen several). I'd give it a 10 on a scale of 1-10 for portable systems (most of the portable systems, including our old one, I would give a 2 or 3).

But to help you compare it to a high school or college gym system, if a college hoop system with a glass backboard was a 10, I'd probably give this an 8. There is still some movement and vibration in play, but not much.

I'd rate it better than most outdoor court backboards and better than many of the indoor courts (grade school and middle school) my son has played on that use metal or plexiglas backboards. Bottomline, it's not perfect, but if you need (and can afford) this portable system, I think you'll be pleased.

Let me throw out a real plus for Amazon. We had problems with the freight company that delivered it. Won't bore you with the details, but Amazon made it right ... and I'd say went beyond what was necessary. I'm a fan of Amazon for sure.

Now for the installation:

First, it took me about 4 hours. If I were doing it again, it would probably take two or two and 1/2. I personally think the instructions are very good. And in my case, all the hardware was well packed in individual packages for each of the major installation steps. And it was all there. But there were no extra parts, so don't lose washers or bolts, etc..

Let me give some setup hints that might be helpful that I haven't seen in other reviews.

First, of course, read the instructions carefully. All warnings and important notes are there for a reason. I read the instructions online couple times before the shipment arrived, and still missed a few important details as I went through the setup. And make sure you look at the pictures carefully to ensure you have the right part alignment. Bottomline, read the instructions.

The main pole assembly - this takes two people for sure. I used a ladder (some use the back end of a pick up truck to stand on. Bottomline, I stood up high, my son down low, and at my call, we raised it about 1 1/2 to 2 feet vertical (I lifted from up high, my son from down low), and then dropped it on the wood. Took us about four or five drops to get it fully seated. Much easier than I expected (about 5 minutes total). We did use WD-40, but not sure whether that mattered or not. As a caution, I reminded my son everytime, before each drop to keep his feet clear. Trust me, you would do some serious damage if you dropped the pole on someone's foot.

When you install the main pole on the base, get nine inch socket extender. I happened to have 3-three inch extenders that I linked together, and it saved me a phenomenal amount of time tightening the nuts that hold the pole to the base. You need the extenders to have maneuver room.

Believe it or not, with just the pole installed on the base, it doesn't tip over. That surprised me, but was good for installing the side braces.

One little gotcha installing the wheel assembly ... on step 4 in the instructions, it shows a cutout of parts 14/15 and W7. Make sure you put bolt W7 through the hole in 14/15 before you install that part on the wheel axel. I didn't, and I had to undo it and reinstall. Just some wasted time.

It's important to lean the pole on a sawhorse like they tell you. However, my sawhorse was actually to low, as I suspect most standard size sawhorses are. When you install the elevator tubes, make sure they are at least about six inches above the ground, as you'll need that when you install the backboard. Bottomline, the pictures show the pole leaning on a sawhorse with a lot of ground clearance. You need that ground clearance (and I didn't have it at first).

I found installing the backboard to be my hardest step. Largely, because I didn't have a tall enough sawhorse so I didn't have eough ground clearance. I almost thought one time I was going to puncture the glass with one of the elevator tubes (fortunately I didn't). But you need two people for this at least. I'd recommend anchoring the lower elevator tubes to the backboard first, and then the upper (and freely moving) ones second. It may seem simple, but one of the tricky steps is trying to properly fit the plastic washer (part A4) betwen the elevator tube arm and the backboard frame. With my fumble fingers, it was a bit challenging with not much space to work.

On the backboard assembly, I had to tighten the bolts just a little bit tighter than they recommended (they say flush, I had to go a turn or so further). You can play that one as your assembly dictates.

Don't forget to fill the base about half way before you try to stand up the goal assembly (I did forget). Trust me, with an empty base, and the backboard installed, it will tip forward very easily. I almost lost it a couple times at this point. Would not have been cool to see it come crashing down.

I found that it actually rolls pretty easily on asphalt or concrete. When you pull the gray front piece forward, it actually lowers the front wheels in place, letting it roll freely. It's real heavy (probably somewhere around 600 pounds when full of water/sand), but it rolls pretty well. But it will not roll at all on grass (didn't try it on dirt). It's simply too heavy and will sink in. I actually had to use some plywood ramps to get mine to it's final location.

Installing the rim and fascia pieces was pretty straight forward (though again you need some coordinated fingers to get the rim bolts in the right place).

All in all, I had a lot of fun putting it together, and my son is having a lot of fun practicing on it.

Hope this helps a bit.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2011

I'm not alien to home handyman projects but this product became a challenge to assemble.

It definitely requires two people at times to assemble it safely. The main pole comes in two pieces and is joined by fitting one inside the flange of the other, and impacting them on a scrap piece of wood while holding them vertical. I stood on a ladder to "pile drive" the poles together while my helper guided the poles.
The bolts that hold the pole to the base are deep inside the base cut-out and required TWO SOCKET WRENCH EXTENSIONS connected to reach (approx 16" extension). I would still be tightening those nuts if I tried to use an open end wrench in that limited work space.

We opted to use sand instead of water after reading that it makes for a more stable base and it not as likely to leak out of any small hole that might develop.
After the assembly was 2/3 complete we tipped the unit upright to find that the backboard was not perpendicular to the ground, in fact it was at a 45 degree down angle. I contacted Spaulding (Huffy Sports) and sent digital pictures. We determined that the TOP POLE HAD BEEN INCORRECTLY LABELED AT THE FACTORY and as a result we installed it backwards. There is no way to separate the pole sections once they are together. Spaulding shipped us a new pole and no cost and it arrived in about 4 days.

Disassembly of the unit to install the new pole required that I build a support out of 2x4's for the vertically positioned base. It was a pain to disassemble and reassembly the components but we got it done in an hour or so. Trying to get all the recommended SAND into the 2" hole of the base was somewhat of a challenge. Make sure the sand you use is fine AND DRY. I USED A MODIFIED CAR RADIATOR FUNNEL which helped a great deal. The sand is easier to install when the base was vertical, once the base is flat we had to finesse the sand into the bases using a stick to pack it in. It was a TEDIOUS AND TIME CONSUMING process. WE HAVE ABOUT 120lbs REMAINING OF THE RECOMMENDED AMOUNT OF SAND THAT WOULD NOT FIT INTO THE BASES.

I suspect the total assembly time, including the new pole and sand installation, was about 8 hours.

My only fear now is that someday some neighborhood kid will throw a small hard object and break the glass backboard. Replacing that backboard would be a challenge.

on May 31, 2009
Great hoop system. The 60" glass backboard feel like you are shooting at an indoor hoop on your drive way! My kids wouldn't stop playing after we got it setup.

I was debating to hire someone to come out and assemble the system. So when I received the shipment, it sat in my garage for 5 days. Then after getting a ridicules quote to have someone come and assembly it, I decided to do it myself with.

So my 9 year old daughter and I ripped open the box Friday afternoon after work and started to assemble it. If you take few minutes to read the directions, the steps are very easy to understand and not very hard. We were done by night fall, about 3.5 hours. Probably faster if I had another adult to help.

When you get your shipment (it comes on a wood pallet in 3 big boxes) - kind of intimidating - open it up and check for any damages. We had one of the smaller water reservoir that had a crack in it so it won't hold water (or sand). Thought about requesting for a replacement part but that would have meant that we had to wait another week or two. And I would have to reassembly the whole system to get water reservoir replaced. So I am using couple of sand bags to give it more weight.

One last suggestion, be sure to have the right tools. Make sure you have all the tools suggested in the setup guide. They aren't anything special, just things like socket wrench, saw horse, etc. It will make your setup much faster and smoother!!
on May 17, 2013
The Beast.. That is exactly what it is.

1) Installation:

Took about 3 hours to assemble with my father. Unless you're superman or don't mind taking a very long time to assemble, I suggest you have at least 1 other helping.

The instruction manuals are pretty straightforward and very well organized with diagrams.

As many reviewers mentioned regarding the difficulty of installation, I can confirm that some parts need tweaking.

I expected attaching the poles to be difficult as many people have indicated earlier. The approach I took was to use an electrical saw to cut down the 4 corners of the inner pole (V shape cuts on corners) and hammer down the 4 sides. Then it fit perfectly. Not so tight that I couldn't join the poles, but not too loose where the poles slide in and out by itself. Then without even standing up the poles as many people do and drop the poles on the floor few times to get them fitted, I just had to hammer one end while the other end was held down by someone else.

Another part of assembly with a mild degree of difficulty was attaching the 4 struts to the main pole from the base. They're supposed to join at the middle of the pole but the holes do not appear to line up correctly. With enough effort, they will line up, but need to use a lot of force.

Now, the most delicate part of the assembly is attaching the adjustment levers to the glass backboard. While we rested the hoop sideways on a wooden platform to act as a sawhorse, it takes careful planning to make sure whatever you're using to support the weight of the hoop sideways, MAKE SURE that it will be sturdy support. The last thing you want happening is the support to fall out from under the pole and the end of the adjustment metal levers to come crashing down on the glass backboard. ALSO, do not take the styrofoams out of the edges of the glass backboard until it's securely fastened to the adjustment lever so the backboard doesn't touch the ground surface.

2) Review on the hoop

Now the fun part. This basketball hoop once completed, is a thing of beauty. I submitted a photo of it on the amazon product photo section. I was just staring at the hoop for a good 10 minutes at how beautiful and professional it looked. Definitely worth the price tag because you would pay more for less at stores like Dick's.

When you actually shoot against the backboard, I was so surprised at how firm the backboard is. I thought at this price, there'd be some amount of shake but it almost feels like playing on a backboard at a college gym. The rebound off the backboard is so tight, it's tight.

The rim has a real soft bounce, but can be easily adjusted according to your preference.

This is a hoop I would expect to last a very long time and would buy this once over $200 hoop 5 times.

I was driving by my neighborhood this morning and came across about 10 basketball hoops on driveways and streets, and I genuinely felt bad for all 10 hoops.
review image
on May 16, 2009
This system is really the best residential portable out there BY MILES. It really is top notch quality and looks great. It is as solid as a tank. At the store, I thought it might actually look like a huge tank in my yard, but when I got it home - it was fine. It does resemble a crane but I have received complements on the look and quality.

Seriously - go to the store and bounce a ball off the backboards of the lower cost portal goals at they will jiggle around and vibrate. This thing does not.

Also, I weight 220 pounds and can hang on the rim without pulling the thing over - try that with any other portable system. It's going to take a tornado to topple this thing in a wind storm - if even possible.

If you take care of this thing - it will last 10 years. I justified the extra cost by thinking how much would a nice goal(compared to the $350 ones) cost over the next 10 years - and this came out the winner.

With this, and any outside steel structures, you should check for bare spots or rust spots in the metal and cover with "flat" black rustolium - takes 2 minutes. If you do that once or twice a summer, then this thing will last 15+ years.
on March 25, 2010
For a portable hoop, this is amazing. Took my husband and I an afternoon to assemble. That part is not easy and I would say that you need someone who is familiar with assembling things. Putting the post together was the hardest part and at some point I thought we wouldn't be able to do it. You really need someone who is strong with a good back. Make sure you have good help. Once together it is terrific and very stable. My boys and their friends have enjoyed playing basketball with it and has made our old hoop look pretty sad. I have only one rule tho, and that is no hanging off the hoop.

I would recommend this, but know going into this that you need someone with a good back to help put it together. There is a lot of pounding one piece of post into another and you need to stand on a ladder to get the height to do it. We live in an area that is quite windy and it stood thru many storms and cold weather. We have had it for almost a year.

on November 14, 2011
friend of ours had one, our boys play ball together. we did the final assembly the other night (the boys and I had done 80% of it a day earlier). as we got ready to put the water in the reservoirs he said "the reveiws are pretty good on this thing, but they're known to leak." guess what? the boys started filling with water and the thing leaked like a sieve. you pay this much money for something and it leaks right out of the box. am I goign to disassemble to get replacement? doubt it. terrible workmanship and quality. very unfortunate that you can't get quality you pay for out of Spalding or Amazon, but if you can't find another system I'd recommend taking the time to fill with water before you start assembly; you'll have to empty and refill for assembly (unless you're creative) but it may save headache.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2015
Bought one and read the manuals online a couple of times and tried to find Youtube assembly but only found one in Korean!

Took me 6 hours to assemble myself using a half ladder and a full 6ft ladder.

The half ladder when its tipped over and the 6ft ladder to pile drive the 2 large pieces of metal.

To attach using a single person i just smashed it once against a piece of wood on the ground of a wall and to make sure i had it straight i climbed onto the ladder to smash it a few more times. Use WD-40 to grease it up a bit so it joins easier. Helps if you're a strong guy who can lift 30kg using your grip.

While tipped over on the half ladder i used the A frame of my 6 ft ladder(on its side) to bolt the backboard on. Takes a bit of finesse to get the right angles and height but lifting one corner to do a bolt and repeating the process its fairly easy. Tip: Use the cardboard box on the ladder to prevent scratching of the glass.

The only mistake i had was the wheel assembly. Slowed me down for an hour while i had to redo it.

One issue is that one of the holes does not align with the top plastic cover. So now i have a spare bolt.

Spent quite a few hours practising on it and its fairly solid and manoeverable.
review image review image
on August 17, 2013
Admit it, dropping a cool grr on your spoiled kid(s) was not what you expected when you went shopping for a portable basketball hoop?
I know I didn't. But alas, here I am, 1k lighter, 13 hours older, and staring at newly assembled hoop like Gollem staring at the ring of power.
Truth be told, first thing I did was set it to 7' and went all Spud Webb on it. It stood up remarkably well to numerous tomahawk, windmill, and alley-op dunks. I then raised it to its full 10' height and immediately felt my whiteness shining through. Suddenly I was Larry Bird minus the 43% 3PT FG and golden fro.
Seriously though, great hoop. Well worth the price.
One suggestion though: Fill the base with sand. Water leaks right out. Probably because Spalding is worried more about hoop constuction as opposed to water containment.
on January 6, 2009
For a true basketball player, the only way to go is a tempered glass backboard. No other backboard offers the true bank you get on a real basketball court.

The adjustable height on the Beast is also a plus for younger player's development.

I paid for assembly and suggest buyers do the same. Just watching two big guys who assemble these courts all the time struggle with the size, weight and time to put it together made me realize that this is not a job for everyone.

I'm very happy with this purchase and recommend it highly.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse