4.0 out of 5 stars Changed my mind...actually love these!
Published on February 20, 2012 by Carlotta Latte

1.0 out of 5 stars review of five types of leggings
Published on November 20, 2012 by DisneyDenizen

1.0 out of 5 stars review of five types of leggings, November 20, 2012
DisneyDenizen (Celebration, FL USA) - See all my reviews
Finding the "right" leggings is almost as difficult as finding the right bra or swimsuit or pair of jeans! The price of my favorite leggings shot up to $29.95 since the last time I bought them, so this time I bought four different kinds to test. Herein, I shall review all five options. As a point of reference, I am 5'7" and weight 137 pounds. Black leggings are a staple in my wardrobe; I wear them all the time.

1. Athletica "City Lights" ***** (five stars)
Hands down, my favorites. Length, cut, and fit are all absolutely perfect. But as of this writing, the price is $29.95 for a pair. Leggings just shouldn't cost $30!

2. Moontree "Cotton Spandex Jersey Legging" ****
The length is good. The waist is in the right place. The cut is good. But something about these leggings makes me feel like "this is what wearing Spanx must feel like". They are snug, but not in a way that makes me feel like I'm wearing the wrong size. It feels like the snugness is part of the design, like in control-top pantyhose. (Remember those?) Only the snugness is in the entire pair of leggings, calf to waist. They look great, but frankly they are almost a relief to peel off at the end of the day. And leggings just shouldn't feel that way. To me, one of the huge advantages of leggings is their comfort; it's like wearing a second skin. Still at $12.99 the price is right and they do look good.

3. Anne Klein "Women's Cotton Leggings" ****
I expected less from these leggings because the waist band is nearly twice as wide as what I'm used to. It turned out not to bother me at all! The fit is perfect. Length and waist are great. But the leggings started pilling almost immediately! Usually, if I run my hands over my leggings, everything feels smooth. Within an hour of the first wearing (I washed them first), these leggings had pervasive pilling. Still, they look great, feel good, and they are only $15.

4. Doublju "Women's Stylish Casual Ankle Cotton Span Leggings" *
The name of these leggings makes me wonder if there's such a thing as formal leggings! The waist is low. No, thanks. I want my leggings to stay put. I returned this pair.

5. Spalding "Women's Ankle Legging" *
I returned this pair also. The waist band was about two inches wide (!), yet the elastic inside the waist band was only about one centimeter wide. Picture that! Anyway, because of the thin waistband which only looked seriously oversized, as I moved around the waistband pretty much went wherever it wanted. Thanks, but I like my leggings to stay put!

ADDITION 3/30/14: After writing the original review, I continued my never-ending quest for the perfect leggings. I now find that I can highly recommend American Apparel. As I write, they cost only $19.60 on Amazon; shipping is directly from American Apparel for $5 but free if you spend $50. Available in multiple colors and sizes, the fit is exactly PERFECT. I own 3 pair and I'm about to buy 5 more... I have also found that Victoria's Secret leggings for daily wear aren't half bad, although the waist is just a touch lower than I'd like, so I find myself tugging on them to keep them up! That said, the waist band is also looser than on other leggings, which is good for those days when you might find yourself carrying a few extra pounds and don't want to feel like your leggings are cutting off your circulation... :) I should also add that I was never again able to buy the right size in Anne Klein leggings. They literally sent me the wrong size repeatedly. I contacted the Anne Klein people. They told me they license out the product and have nothing to do with it. I waited a while, tried again, was sent the correct size, but even the L turned out to be very small. ... Also, Athletica City Lights leggings apparently no longer exist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Changed my mind...actually love these!, February 20, 2012
My initial review back in 2012 was 3 stars. I thought they were not good for exercise. Now that I am on my second pair (yes, I gave them another chance), I am convinced they are made better than they were 2 years ago. I live in them...at the gym, hanging out, at work. I hand wash them, let them drip-dry. I think that retains their elasticity & has them last longer. The waistline is comfortable & flattering. Well worth the $ at <$20.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, February 4, 2013
Honestly, I ordered these leggings for workout purposes, and was worried because I am so tall (6'2) and I didn't think they were going to fit me once they got here. They were a perfect fit! Not to mention fairly priced! I will most definitely be ordering more of these!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sporty pants, April 27, 2012
Friend in NYC (Greenwich Village, NYC) - See all my reviews
Very comfortable and opaque. No oddly placed leg-seams. The white Spaulding logo placed on left front hip is pretty prominent if you don't wear long tee-shirts. True to size. Not shiny, I hate shiny leggings, but with enough stretch to make them improve your body and behave like leggings. A little bit of a low-rise waistline. Took one or two wearings to feel comfortable with that but now I prefer it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, September 4, 2013
They're a perfect fit! I just have to roll them up a bit because of my height. I' got a small, I'm 4'11 & weight 120

3.0 out of 5 stars Not made for the gym!, May 9, 2013
I bought these to wear as running tights. The material was way too thin and see thru. They will only work for me when I wear longer shirts to the gym. Bummer!

3.0 out of 5 stars loose, October 27, 2012
The spading Women's Ankle, when i first arrived, it fit nice but after a few washing, it doesn't hold it own very well.

1.0 out of 5 stars So diappointed, October 25, 2012
I bought a legging with the same brand a month ago. That one is pretty good. But this one is very poor quality. Very thin and loose. When I bent my leg, I can even see my knees.

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible quality, December 22, 2012
Sheena (Tucson, AZ, United States) - See all my reviews
unfortunately I purchased 2 of these. One pair that I wore & washed once are rubbed and horrible looking already. The 2nd pair came out of the bag with the seams coming adrift. I would send them back except my working hours are the same as the post office...

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Price & Comfortable, December 21, 2012
Excellent fit ! loved the material, the color can be combined with any other, good quality, super comfortable, long enough, and the price is awesome

Spalding Women's Ankle Legging, Charcoal, Medium