Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 1 X Spam Musubi Sushi Rice Press #K5SPS by KH
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 28, 2009
This is a great product, but I just can't recommend buying it here.

I recently purchased this exact sushi press from a local Japanese market (Mitsuwa). This store chain is known for having a great selection of imported Asian foods and products, but their prices tend to be a bit high. It was $4.99 there. That's why I'm just baffled that these sellers have the nerve to sell this item for $6.00 PLUS another $6.00 for shipping. You'll end up spending about $12 for a simple plastic mold (this particular one was made in Taiwan, by the way).

Again, it is a great product that works EXACTLY as advertised - It really makes PERFECT spam musubis. But at least check out your local Asian/Japanese store first to see if they have any available. You have to go there for seaweed anyways, don't you? You might even be able to find yours for cheaper than $5. Of course, if you have absolutely no resources available in your area and you've been dying to make your own musubis, by all means - order this product here.

I'm not against the idea of a seller making a profit, but you have to know that they got this sushi press for maybe a dollar, and their actual shipping cost is another couple bucks at most. So charging $12 or more is just unreasonable. It always bugs me when sellers pad the shipping costs in an attempt to hide how much more money they're charging you. Ordering items on Amazon is always going to be a balancing between convenience and price. Just be aware that the TOTAL price here is quite high.

***UPDATE*** It seems more recent sellers have begun lowering their prices and shipping charges (Due to my complaining maybe? I swear, they were $6.99 + $6.50 shipping before). While the total cost is still far from cheap, it's nice to see things heading the right direction. I'll leave my original review up for the benefit of those who are reading this later on.
44 comments| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2010
Works great. I placed this over a half sheet of nori, spooned some rice in the bottom, and pressed it down with the lid. Added some seasoning and the spam, then more rice. Another quick press, only this time left lid down while removed frame over all. A slight twist to loosen the lid, and perfectly formed result. Then it was easy to finish wrapping the nori around the whole thing. Do keep the plastic clean between each musubi, and leave just slightly damp to completely reduce any sticking from the rice.
on January 26, 2011
This is indeed the little beauty you use to make Spam musubi! Nicely made, simple and elegant. Cooked Spam fits perfectly, and the clear walls let you know when you have just the right thickness of rice at the bottom and top. It is identical to the one I later bought at the Hawaiian Cultural Center in Midvale, Utah... and they would know! The latter one was just $4.25 plus tax, but I was happy to pay a little extra to the House of Rice because I could not find it anywhere else. Make yourself some Spam musubi (it is very easy, if you remember to keep the press wet) and take them to work or school. Leave the press sitting out on your kitchen counter to make visitors curious. The reactions you get are well worth the small cost of the press and ingredients.
review image
on April 25, 2011
For its price, this a great buy. It comes with 2 pieces: 1 presser and 1 rectangular shaper (hollow). It's clear plastic also permits you to see how much rice is added and judge the size of the final musubi during production. We had made spam musubi before with a jimmyrigged musubi maker and we ended up having to ditch the maker and use the sushi roller, which is not great for holding the traditional rectangular shape of spam musubi.

It's very easy to use. Just cut the nori to the width of the rectangular shaper and lay the center of the strip inside of the shaper. Place rice on top of the nori inside of the shaper and press. This compresses the rice adequately while allowing the sushi to keep a rectangular shape. Place the spam on top of that layer. Then add more rice and use the presser the top layer down. We found that to remove the shaper, we had to hold the presser on top while lifting the shaper up from the sushi. Finally, seal the nori on top.

The only other addition would be ideal nori length dimensions if you wanted to fill the entire shaper with rice/span/goodies. Of note is that you must wash the presser between each application as it retains rice, which is inherently sticky and the layer of water acts as a natural rice "repellent," allowing you to press another layer of rice without grabbing more when releasing.
on April 8, 2009
Well..."party time" is a bit of an exaggeration...BUT if you love spam musubi as much as my family (which is mega lots)...then this is well worth the price. I tried making musubi manually AND with the Spam can...way too much trouble. With this rice press...no more burned fingers or malformed, loose musubis. Easy enough for my children to operate...they say it's fun...I say it's less of a chore. Now if only someone can invent a lumpia roller...hmmm.
on December 30, 2012
Before I started using the musubi press, my musubi was floppy and baggy. Now the musubi is like a beautiful brick of spammy goodness. I love you, musubi press.
on May 24, 2011
Happy that I got it. Price should have been lower but its all good now that I can make some Spam musubi.
on July 25, 2016
Have you ever had a Musubi? If you haven't, you need to!!! This little devise is the key to a perfect Musubi. Quality is terrific and the price is even better. Thank you for providing such an exemplary kitchen too without breaking the bank. Love my Musubi press!!! So easy to use and clean up is a cinch!
on July 22, 2014
I had a hankering for spam musubi and was convinced that I needed this press to make the best tasting spam musubi the world has ever seen.

This shipped to me quickly and promptly. It's made of a thick, clear, and hardy acrylic. The size is perfect for your delicious pan-fried slice of spam. The presser on top makes it super easy to press the most beautiful, compact, rectangular "slices" of rice your eyes have ever seen. The process was so easy and so quick, and my spam musubi looked super professional.

This sushi rice press is also wonderful for non-spam eaters, too. It makes wonderful, portable sushi rolls that make an excellent snack if you're on the road or doing outdoors activity (like hikes, day at the beach/pool, at the park).

For $6 with prime shipping, I couldn't ask for more. If you're wondering if you need this, the answer is yes. Go forth and show off your spam musubi churning self!
on March 2, 2016
YES! I'm a huge fan of Spam Musubi and since I actually possess the culinary skills to prepare them; I actually do so. This little contraption makes the presentation easy and satisfying. I'm really glad I found this on Amazon.

See 1 answered question