Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes

Format: Audio CDChange

on March 26, 2010
I use this in the car I wanted an audio set that would let me learn Spanish while driving. This set is OK but the editing could have been better. The set has a female speaker giving the word or phrase in English and a male speaker giving it in Spanish. The Male speaker gives the word or phrase twice with a pause between allowing you enough time to practice. However I found that many of the words are repeated on all 3 disks they also give you a phrase to say before giving some of the words to learn. They do not mention any thing on how phrases are formed in Spanish or that there are male & female words in Spanish. This is going to be confusing for anyone just starting to speak Spanish. I only paid $11.00 for the set and I would not recommend paying any more for it.
on July 24, 2008
This is an excellent way to learn Spanish. The CD's were easy to follow and to understand. Great to listen to while driving. After listening to them a few times, I went to the Dominican and was able to converse quite well with the staff at our Spanish-speaking resort.
on September 8, 2010
What this is, is pages and pages of phrases and word lists. There is absolutely no grammar and no explanation (just translation). If what you're looking to do is learn off by heart loads of words and phrases like a parrot, this is the book for you. (If that works for you I'm happy for you, but personally I would find it the slowest and most difficult possible way to learn a language.)

If you want dialogues, listening practice, grammar explanation, and some idea of how to put together new sentences then choose any other course! For example "Bueno Entonces" (By "General Linguistics") (as fun as watching a movie) or the "Living Language" books (which also has English/Spanish CDs to listen to in your car) (the older editions are quite good and reasonably priced). The Hugo "In three months" series is also good and reasonably priced (though you need to sit down with your book in order to use it).
on October 2, 2008
These cds and the book that goes along are for the most part, very good. There are some markdowns though. First thing I noticed, parts of the book don't go along with the audio. The book with either have extra words or they book will have words that the audio doesn't say. So that can be a little confusing at times. There are also some (in my opinion) very useless words/phrases.

Its not all bad though....I think its a great starting point.
on April 8, 2009
Pretty good for those of us who studied Spanish in junior high and high schools. It will help you make small talk with your Spanish speaking friends and customers.
on August 17, 2009
Great place to start and refresh your Beginning Spanish. You will need to get an advanced spanish cd to learn more and start speaking sentences, etc. Good for the price.
on May 17, 2010
I live in Miami and took 3 years of Spanish in high school (5 years ago), but started to forget some of it, so I thought I would buy this to help me practice and remember. If you live in an area where you hear basic spanish words often like store, mother, father, cousin, and already know how to say how are you or ask how much is something, etc. then don't buy this item. I bought it based on the reviews of others, but this audiobook is very basic and for me it was a waste of money. I don't recommend it if you already have a really basic knowledge of spanish. It doesn't help you with the grammer of spanish either, for example some of the words that you practice are gender oriented, and depending who you talk to, the word would have a different ending, but the audiobook doesn't really teach you that.
on September 15, 2008
This is a great learning tool. I took a trip to Puerto Rico in May. My Spanish skills were okay, but I knew enough to get around thanks to the audio book. Great buy.
on February 10, 2011
Spanish For Dummies Audio Set is divided into three lessons which are subsectioned into thirteen topics for lesson one, fifteen topics for lessons two, and twelve topics for lesson three. Lesson one provides the basics, which is broken down into topics such as personal pronouns and formalities, saying "hello" and "goodbye", saying and replying to "how are you?", introducing yourself and talking about where you're from, and indispensable words. While, lessons two and three cover topics on the nitty gritty: language structure and real-world situations respectively. Each lesson is assigned to an hour-long CD which can be conveniently taken around and played in your CD player, car, home stereo, or on your computer.

This audio set is accompanied by a booklet with lesson numbers that correspond to the track numbers on each CD. The introduction on each CD is track one. The narrator of the CDs presents words and phrases in English, followed by a native Spanish speaker who does the Spanish version. There is a pause provided for the listener to say the word or phrase himself, followed by the repetition of the same word or phrase by the Spanish speaker, and another pause to provide the listener with another opportunity to practice saying the word or phrase. Listeners are expected to repeat these steps for CDs one, two and three. The supplemental booklet is divided into four parts. The first three are in direct association to the three lessons on the CDs, while section four presents a mini Spanish-English dictionary.

I give this product 3 stars. It really isn't that bad but when compared to other methods of learning Spanish, this is not something that I would recommend.

Some other products that I recommend for Spanish language learners are Visual Link Spanish. This is the best learning Spanish software program for the visual learner. Before I discovered Visual Link Spanish - Level I, in all of my reviews I had recommended another Spanish software product. The one that is heavily marketed in all of mass media, including radio and television. But after using Visual Link, it is clear to me that this software is a much better alternative.

In order to speak Spanish fluently, you must also learn lots of new words. For increasing Spanish vocabulary, I recommend Quick Study-Spanish Vocabulary Flash Cards-1000 cards You get 1,000 of these cards at an excellent price.

To speak Spanish fluently besides having a stand alone course as your base and a method to learn new Spanish words, you will also need to master conjugating Spanish verbs. The best product for that is the Verbarrator Version 1.1 (Windows Version) software. The Verbarrator software does a great job of replacing the boring Spanish verb conjugation books and makes learning Spanish verbs enough fun that you will want to use the software every day. And the more you use the tool the quicker that you will learn how to conjugate Spanish verbs and reach fluency. The Verbarrator is probably the best investment that I have made in my journey to learn Spanish because it is a product that I will use it almost daily.

The last product that I recommend for anyone who is really serious about learning Spanish is The Ultimate Spanish Review and Practice w/CD-ROM (UItimate Review & Reference Series). This Spanish grammar book covers every aspect of Spanish grammar
on May 9, 2012
I have many audio CD products for learning Spanish, so I can compare this with other products. This product is suprisingly very poor compared with other "for Dummies" products I have seen. I have two major problems with this Audio CD set. First, it is probably not the best way to learn a language. The product is too simple for people who have studied Spanish for one year. However, for those who need beginner's Spanish, this is not the best way to start. Frankly, word lists are not a good way to learn vocabulary, period. The second beef is that there are several mistakes on the audio. For example, as noted by another reviewer, fui and fue are switched around. This can be very disturbing for a beginner, especially when we consider that it involves two verbs (ser and ir). So I do not recommend this product. If you are new to Spanish, I recommend the Michel Thomas series. There is something about the way Michel Thomas taught that is impressive, gradually building on previous knowledge without requiring boring memory work. Not everyone likes Michel's voice and manner, but I think there is no better way to get started in the language. His accent is far from perfect, but for a beginner, this is not a big issue. Have a look at "So you'd like to"..."be fluent in Spanish in 3 years" for some ideas.