5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product
I used this book as a primer for my medical missions trip to Colombia. It was excellent for me, a complete non-Spanish speaker. I was able to get my points across and listen to medical concerns that patients had. I highly recommend this for beginners with very little background in Spanish.

The book also has very handy hints and idioms for those who know...
Published on August 3, 2012 by ChanMan2013

I've review quite a few spanish cd's so I'm not new to this. In general, my reviews have been fair. I will update this as I get around to using the book more.

Published on May 17, 2008 by Just another reviewer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Get the Book..Stay away from the CD package...cuz of annoying *BEEP* after every word, May 17, 2008

Packaging: Nothing fancy. Book w/ sleeve inside w/ 3 audio cd's. The 3rd ed of Harvey book is twice the length and with of 2nd w/o out addition of much more info...so that's it's roughly the size of 8.5x11 sheet of paper. This change makes the book no longer pocketable and makes putting it into a labcoat/whitecoat impossible. They should have just kept the size as small as before.

Book iself: I think it has more useful medical content in specific clinical situations than it's competitor, "Spanish for Healthcare Provider by Rios/McGraw-Hill" book. The Harvey book doens't have frivilous idioms/expression that the rios book has. Very focused.

Audio CD content: I'll be frank. The CD is a disaster. First CD has basic intro to spanish (nothing very medical related). I would have rather they devoted all 3 to medical spanish since I bought the package to listen in car. 2nd and 3rd CD has some medical terms, vocab, etc. Unlike the Rios CD in which the CD contents adhere to sections w/in the Rios book, I didn't quite see a clear correlation between the Harvey chapters and the cd. Negative side of Rios book is that it only says english word and then spanish word once...but the pauses between english/spanish is appropriate. Good thing about Harvey book is it read the english word. Then reads the spanish word, and repeats the spanish word.

Now the most ANNOYING thing about the Harvey book...which makes me not recommend annoyone buy it until the publisher makes a change, is that it'll say:
1. ENGLISH WORD
***SILENCE*** (anyone between 3-10 s...way too long)
2. SPANISH WORD
***B-E-E-P** (sounds like a Tele monitor beep, or IV pole beep)
3. and then repeat the SPANISH WORD.

What genius thought of the "BEEP"? It's almost the same annoying beep u'd hear in a Tele bed in the ICU or if an an IV pole was clogged and beeping. That 3-10s pause is one end of the extreme. On 2nd half of CD3, there's a vocab section in which narrator reads english and spanish word once. However, interval between the words is now only 1s...yikes..I couldn't even keep up w/ the speed. Talk about extremes. Totally ruins the CD. Whoever was the producer of the CD totally overlooked the format of other language CD's where it's usually:

1. English word 2. Silence for about 2s 3. Spanish word. 4. Silence for about another 2s. 5. Repeat spanish word.

One good thing is that Itunes recognizes the CD and automatically titles the tracks.

I'd give the book a 4 star...and the CD a 0 star...so my 2 star rating stands. The production side of the CD really tarnished Harvey's good book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for those that already have a grasp of the spanish language, November 26, 2008
This review is from: Spanish for Health Care Professionals (Paperback)
I was dissapointed to find that this book had very little medical terminolgy. I already am proficient in the language and just needed some medical terms and vocabulary to help me in my work. I definitely don't recommend this book for those that aren't starting from the very beginning (alphabet, numbers, etc...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, August 3, 2012
This review is from: Spanish for Health Care Professionals (Paperback)

The book also has very handy hints and idioms for those who know Spanish, but not medical Spanish.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly what I needed, September 1, 2008
This review is from: Spanish for Health Care Professionals (Paperback)
I work in labor and delivery and was hoping for more Spanish terms to teach my patient proper pushing techniques, all of the required admitting questions, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful for those in the medical field, February 19, 2011
Peter K. Schaffer (Oklahoma City, OK USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spanish for Health Care Professionals (Paperback)
It seems I've been studying Spanish most of my life--and I'm a senior citizen. This book is particularly helpful for medical "situations" such as "Where does it hurt?" "What is the intensity of the pain?" and the like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for Beginners, April 17, 2010
C. Mao (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spanish for Health Care Professionals (Paperback)
Workbook for active learning of Spanish. This book is ordered very well beginning with commonly used greetings for building rapport with patients. Then moves on to the basics. Very easy to understand and learn with this book.

Basics of grammar included in bits and pieces through the chapters so you learn when you need to learn to start using Spanish immediately and are not overwhelmed. Also helps with pronounciation basics so you can learn to speak any word you see in Spanish correctly.

No complaints about this book so far. Am using it and learning with it. It would be improved by an audio CD, but not completely necessary.

Bottom line: Highly recommended for the beginner and even for Spanish speakers needing a touch up as the glossary in the back is very good as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful for doctors/nurses, December 22, 2013
Soccer Coach (Penrose, CO, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spanish for Health Care Professionals (Paperback)
I have bought this book twice and completed it twice. It is a workbook, with great exercises, and the anwers in the back. I have used my medical Spanish in Peru over the past 6 years, and review this book before every trip.

4.0 out of 5 stars Content was rich, August 27, 2013
This review is from: Spanish for Health Care Professionals (Paperback)
The content of this book was rich for those who have a minimum experience with Spanish. It was very helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for any medical professional, August 18, 2013
This review is from: Spanish for Health Care Professionals (Paperback)
Especially if you're a doctor, nurse, or front desk receptionist. It really goes into detail on how to handle situations during an emergency. It's a very useful book.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little hard to follow, June 17, 2013
This review is from: Spanish for Health Care Professionals (Paperback)
If you are just trying to learn a little for work, it's OK, but I wanted more medical terms and words that I could then use in my "spanglish"

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Spanish for Health Care Professionals
Spanish for Health Care Professionals by William C. Harvey M.S. (Paperback - June 1, 2008)
$14.99 $10.08