Published on September 10, 2007 by S. Janis

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as "Adentro y Afuero"
I purchased this video at the same time as "Adentro y Afuero". The two are similar in look, feel and sound. Both feature the effervescent "Maria" speaking solely in Spanish, along with catchy music and bright, attractive visuals. In my opinion, however, "Adentro" is a much better video and is a better choice to start with.

This video focuses primarily on...
Published on May 27, 2011 by Dienne

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with more quality learning than many other Spanish language kids programs!, September 10, 2007
I've been purchasing Spanish educational DVD's for my 3 year old since she was born. Most of them are extremely boring and repetitive. My daughter would watch but with little to no interaction. I recently brought home Whistlefritz: Vamos a Jugar and was astounded when she started answering questions and singing songs after the first viewing. This is a full immersion DVD and my daughter is not bilingual. Whistlefritz arranged the program in such a way that my daughter truly understands what they are saying. She has now been viewing this DVD on and off for about 3 weeks and is actually using the words throughout her day! I would highly recommend this DVD over titles such as Boca Beth, Brainy Baby or Plaza Sesamo. The Spanish to English translations used by Boca Beth only confused my daughter. Brainy Baby won't hold your child's interest much past 12 months and Plaza Sesamo uses far too many slang words and is not a good language learning tool. My only complaint with Whistlefritz is that the play time is too short. It is only about 23 minutes long and I felt that once my child was really getting in-to the program it ended. I think 30 to 40 minutes would be a better running time. Regardless, those 23 minutes are packed with more quality learning than many other programs that run much longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Welcome Addition, July 29, 2007
"Vamos a Jugar" is an extremely welcome addition to the set of (suprisingly limited) tools available for parents who wish to teach their kids Spanish. While efforts by shows like "Dora" and "Dragon Tales" to include Spanish language content are positive, the occasional word or phrase does little beyond letting kids know that other languages exist. The immersion philosophy behind the Whistlefritz videos is a quantum leap forward. The genius is in the simplicity of the concept -- take characters, skits, games and songs largely familiar to kids and present them purely in Spanish rather than English, guessing (correctly) that kids will be able to follow the storylines and pick up the vocabulary quickly. Perhaps just as importantly, the entertainment, novelty and challenge levels are more than high enough to keep our 3 and 5 years olds fully engaged. "Los Animales" (the first video) has been part of the permanent rotation in our DVD player for months with no signs of displacement anytime soon; very happy to see a second video added to the mix and looking forward to more. Highly recommend this great new product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than their other DVD, Los Animales!, July 15, 2007
Vamos a Jugar (Let's Play):Beginning Spanish for Kids is the second DVD in this series and I believe it is even better than the first one, Los Animales (Animals): Spanish for Beginners as there is more interaction with the kids. You really can't tell from the cover however it is all done with real people and not animation (and the kids are all cute and very entertaining). This DVD covers the parts of the body (head, face, hands, knees....) and they even do the song "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" (in Spanish of course). It is a wonderful alternative to Dora, Diego or Dragon Tails. It comes with a guide to help with translations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastico-Fantastic!!, January 13, 2009
This review is from: Spanish for Kids: Vamos a Jugar (DVD)
My first language is Spanish and my husband only speaks English. It is VERY important to me that my baby learns Spanish. I bought Vamos a Jugar, Los Animales and the Vamos a Bailar CD for my 20 month old baby. I also have 2 Cantarima DVDs, Brainy Baby Spanish and 123 Cuentame un Cuento. The Whistlefritz DVDs and music CD are BY FAR THE BEST ONES. They are wonderful to watch, even for us parents. They are extremely well produced. Every moment is filled with words and lessons. No time is wasted on useless images. And there are no mistakes, at least that I have noticed. All the participants appear to be native speakers. These are full immersion productions, which in my opinion is the only way a child or adult will learn the language. My baby loves to watch the DVDs and requests them every day. She is starting to say some of the words and imitates Maria's dances. She also loves to play the music CD. All the songs are wonderful and I have not gotten tired of them at all. I highly recommend that you purchase this collection for your children and other friends that might be looking for DVDs/CDs in Spanish for their children. I wish I would have bought these a long time ago! ¡Los disfrutaran mucho!

5.0 out of 5 stars Whistlefritz is a big hit. My 22-month old son LOVES it!, July 30, 2007
My wife and I were always impressed with how my cousin's children had excelled with picking up Spanish as a second language at such a young age. We were eager to get our son started but did not know where to begin. My cousin gave us copies of "Los Animales" and "Vamos a Jugar". He was immediately captivated. My wife and I were amazed at how quickly he seemed to be picking up Spanish while singing along and having fun. It even helped us to remember what we had learned years back in school. As soon as the DVD ends he claps, yells Yeah! and then asks for "Mo Whitlefrit".

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as "Adentro y Afuero", May 27, 2011
This review is from: Spanish for Kids: Vamos a Jugar (DVD)

This video focuses primarily on body parts such as facial features and limbs. One of the songs is a Spanish version of "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes". There is also the obligatory counting in Spanish, which seems to be a required element of every language instruction program. The video is enjoyable enough and, like "Adentro", it's easy enough to follow even for beginners because of the use of simple language, repetition and visual clues. But it's not as engaging as "Adentro" - the songs aren't as catchy and the video isn't as interesting for young children. My daughter practically has "Adentro" memorized, but I have a hard time getting her to watch this one.

It's also significantly shorter than "Adentro", which itself is plenty short (and my one complaint about the Whistlefritz series). This video is only about 25 minutes long, as compared with slightly over 30 for "Adentro".

This video is certainly a good addition to the Whistlefritz series, as it teaches a whole new set of vocabulary and expressions related to a new subject area. If you're going to get the entire series, there's no reason to skip this one. But if you're only going to get one video from the series, this is not a good one to start with.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just OK..., November 27, 2007
Brian W (Phoenix, AZ) - See all my reviews
I was excited to view this DVD based on the reviews, but it did not quite live up to expectations. I saw it together with my 4-year old and it did not hold his attention. The format consists of a narrator/teacher who speaks entirely in Spanish. She uses hand gestures and puppets to illustrate the Spanish words. This becomes somewhat repetitive after a while. The narrator was remarkably unremarkable, which may be good in that she doesn't detract from the lessons. Now for the not-so-good. Every so often a song pops up. Unfortunately the songs did not add to the video as they were reminiscent of old cowboy tunes. The accompanying "booklet" was a single fold-out with the words and phrases taught in the DVD. It would have been more useful if it were better structured with some explanation. Finally, I was surprised that the DVD only ran 20 - 21 minutes as I had expected more for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Wanted, August 22, 2009
K. Diaz (Suffolk, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spanish for Kids: Vamos a Jugar (DVD)
I love this video and, more importantly, so do my two boys (ages 2.5 yrs & 20 mos.) As another reviewer has mentioned, it has a very "Blue's Clues" feel- the hostess, Maria, is an actual person, but the background and other characters are cartoons. Maria speaks very clearly and has a very soothing voice. What I like the most is that it is very interactive. Maria asks a lot of situational questions, and the "audience" of children answer. For example, after she introduces different article of clothing she'll ask "does a sock go on my head?" and the off screen children will yell "no." Then she'll ask, "then what goes on my head?" and the children will yell "un sombrero (a hat)." It's a lot of fun and makes learning Spanish easy. It's by far the best Spanish video I've purchased.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really works!, April 9, 2008
I bought this DVD and their other one, Los Animales for my 2-year old grandson. He loves it! and he is learning fast. When his father gets home from work, Joaquin brings him the DVDs and tell him "Daddy, 'pañol" meaning, Daddy, Spanish, and he sits in front of the TV mesmerized and going along with the teacher. Yesterday, he dropped his pacifier, picked it up and told his father "lavalo" (wash it). We are delighted with how much he learns as well as with the quality of the product itself. Hope they make more!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Extreme Immersion, January 18, 2009
jaynemalt (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spanish for Kids: Vamos a Jugar (DVD)
I chose this Whistlefritz video because it was priced less than the Little Pim series. I have a 4-year-old daughter who watches Dora the Explorer and talks in her own spanish made-up language, so I wanted to try this out first.

Talk about language immersion! Whistlefritz is completely in Spanish, with no english subtitles or spoken words at all. This is great. Kids learn through complete immersion. My 4-year-old and 2-year-old girls are totally captivated by this video and have started saying a few words in spanish. Yay!

Spanish for Kids: Vamos a Jugar
Spanish for Kids: Vamos a Jugar by Oglesby (DVD - 2008)
$19.99 $17.55