5.0 out of 5 stars a fantastic *introduction* to the language
I know from reading other reviews of Pimsleur language programs that people are sometimes taken aback by the rather basic vocabulary the program leaves you with and the lack of written material. Bear in mind, the Pimsleur program is an excellent *introduction* to a language. It can't be beat for helping you with pronunciation and with learning the "core" of a...
Published on May 9, 2001 by Fred Schultz

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't do business with Pimsleur
I thought I would try the "Pimsleur $9.95 + Free S&H - Best Pimsleur offer ever‎". For $9.95, I thought I would see what is was like.

Published 8 months ago by Don Kreher

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't do business with Pimsleur, October 30, 2013
This review is from: Spanish I - 1st Rev. Ed. (Pimsleur Language Program) (Audio Cassette)

The sign up website said it would send me in addition a free trial of the gold version, which I declined, I was not interested in it. But they sent it anyway and will start charging me $60 per installment if I don't return it. Now it is a nightmare and an inconvenience trying to get it returned so that there are no additional charges on my credit card. First I had to get a routing number from them, which only is active for 10 days. Then I have to wait for a shipping label which takes 3 to 5 days to arrive by e-mail. Then when and if I get it I have to drive to the UPS store. This is ridiculous business practice. I've made two phone calls to them so far. When will it end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Painless way to learn another language, April 25, 2002
By A Customer
This is learning a language the way it was meant to be. The way we learn our own primary language...by hearing it. I have studied three other languages the "conventional" way, by learning to read and write, conjugating verbs and learning vocabulary with little thought to actual conversation. I can only speak a few words in these languages with much difficulty and pause to "translate". The Pimsleur tapes take the logical approach. I found that I could "get by" after just a few lessons. I hear Spanish now and can actually understand much of it as if I were listening to English. I did need to review each lesson at least one additional time, but that could just be my brain. I have purchased the Spanish II program, and plan to get the Spanish III when the time comes. I highly recommend this course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spanish I: Pimsleur Comprehensive, April 12, 2000
The Pimsleur language tapes are the best language audio tapes that I've found. I have tried several different kinds in the past, but the Pimsleur language program is by far the best around. I listen to the tapes while I'm driving to work. The comprehension level is amazing. And the one thing that is so great about it is that you don't need to study a book. If I don't feel like I learned the lesson well enought the first time, I just listen to it again. If your time is very limited or if you don't like reading a manual, the Pimsleur language tapes are definitely for you. Even if you do prefer visual learning, you would benefit greatly from this system.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great program, and ..., October 27, 2004
Pimsleur programs may be most valuable for people who are having hard time pronouncing words correctly - and when you're learning languages with which you are completely unfamiliar.

Pimsleur program will make it practically an effortless experience.

In this basic Pismleur program you learn some basic sentence structures, how to tell the time, how to count, how to find your way around and how to meet some of your very basic needs.

On the other hand, if you'd like to learn more and faster, you may also consider Platiquemos program - it is less expensive and will get you much further.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spanish I: Pimsleur Comprehensive Program, March 28, 2004
By A Customer
We have had excellent results with Pimsleur's Spanish course. We tried several curriculums and we were not happy with what our children were learning, nor their retention of it. Many of the programs prices were way above what we could afford. We tried Learnables, Berlitz, and a few others. Our children are remembering and understanding much more with Pimsleur's course. We tried it for a month and then took 2 weeks off, to see if they would remember what they had learned and they remembered almost everthing they had learned. Our children are 6th and 11th grade. My youngest listens along with her brother and is able to keep up with him without any problem. It teaches Spanish conversationally, with some short reading lessons. Check with your public library, that is were we found ours. We borrow the tapes and when it is time for the tapes to go back we check out the CD version. That way we don't have to buy it, but we can use it continuously. If you decide to buy it make sure you get the whole 30 lesson program. We also use Usborne's Internet Linked Latin American Dictionary. It is very colorful and is theme based, and the linked website pronounces the words for you. Our former Spanish teacher, (a retired missionary that lived, and taught, in Argentina for 20 years), recommended it and it has worked well for memorizing everyday words. We are also using Practice Makes Perfect Spanish Verb Tenses and Practice Makes Perfect Spanish Pronouns and Prepositions, also recommended by our former Spanish teacher. My youngest is working slower through it than my oldest, but they are both doing very well with them. These workbooks teach the necessary Spanish grammar, reading practice, and help them to put what they are learning into practice. They get practice writing and reading in Spanish and translating both to English and Spanish. It has also been a great refresher course for me. I have learned words that I was never taught in high school Spanish, and I am actually able to speak it and remember it now. A year out of high school I couldn't remember much of what I learned. You don't have to have a back ground in Spanish to teach this either, you can learn as you go along. Both of the workbooks have answer keys in the back of them and the Pimsleur course does the teaching for you and the lessons are short, 30 min. each. My kids made a concentration game, on their own, to study their words, and they converse in Spanish, just for fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spped Spanish, July 1, 2000
This program is excellent. After approx 2 weeks, I can Understand conversations in basic spanish. I can get the jist of what someone is saying without a translator, and can call on the phone and commuincate. After I am done, I will try the comprehensive, cause this is great. I wish I would have got this program before going to Columbia. I got other programs, but this is the fastest and best even though it is more money.

5.0 out of 5 stars great basic instruction, April 5, 2001
This is the course if you're one of those people(like me) who have difficulty learning language or who can learn to write and read but are always stymied in trying to speak. You won't learn a lot of vocabulary or all the verb tenses, but what you learn you will really understand, both in understanding and being able to express yourself. If language comes easily to you - don't get this course, you'll be dissapointed. If you had Spanish 20 years ago and only remember a few words, go ahead. It's the first time I've felt that I don't have to struggle to say what I know how to say. Now, I don't know how to say much, but what I know, I know. I'm getting the French course next. I've had 2 years college French, but cannot speak worth anything. With Pimsleur, I know I'll be able to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Filling the Gap in the Commute, April 13, 2002
By A Customer
I have always wanted to learn Spanish. After getting frustrated with other so called 'language programs', boring context and less than expected return for the dollars spent, I purchased an introductory set of 10 CDs by Pimsleurs. I was hooked; I bought the full Spanish I set. I couldn't wait to get in my car for the commute to work knowing that I was learning the language I had so long wanted to speak. Within weeks I was carrying on simple conversations with my spanish speaking employees and they were amazed at the correctness of my grammar and my proper pronunciation of words. I am purchasing set II and when completed will buy III. I don't have time for classes with my busy schedule and I enjoy learning Spanish on my long commute to and from work rather than listening to the prattle on the radio. I highly recomend Pimsleurs courses to any one who wants to learn a language. I found it well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST way to learn Spanish, October 28, 1999
By A Customer
After trying tons of other methods, this is without a doubt the only way to actually learn to speak spanish. The method causes you to actually start rearranging the words in your head to form practically any sentence, which is what people do who are native to any language. This is the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for learning a new language, August 7, 2001
By A Customer
I was a little hesitant about the effectiveness of learning a new language through CDs rather than going to classes, but I have found this to be a very effective way of learning. I agree with one of the earlier reviewers that after using these CDs (Spanish 1 anyway) you probably will not be able to understand Spanish soap operas or gather what native speakers are saying at a normal speed very easily. (Maybe after the other 2 levels that will improve.) That being said I have found that when using these CDs, I am easily able to recall whatever I have learned and can understand simple conversations (and, at least, understand parts of longer conversations, though my vocabulary is pretty limited after just one level). One thing that I have found especially useful is that after using the CDs for some time, one should try and be around (or listen to) Spanish speakers as then you will be better able to understand what you have learned when spoken at a normal converstational speed by a native speaker. The method of teaching (conversational) is effective and the CDs do help considerably in one's pronounciation. I have tried speaking what I have learned to some of my friends who are native speakers and they assure me that my pronounciation is good. I highly recommend these CDs and will be getting the other 2 levels of courses.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Spanish I - 1st Rev. Ed. (Pimsleur Language Program)
Spanish I - 1st Rev. Ed. (Pimsleur Language Program) by Paul Pimsleur (Audio Cassette - February 1, 1995)
Used & New from: $42.50