5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!!
I loved this book. I couldn't put it down. I have been very impressed with this author, just wish there were more by her.
Published 3 months ago by Holly J. Kloepfer

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute. Clean. Fun.
Audience: Adult (Clean)

Audience: Adult (Clean)
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Length: 201

Rating: ***+

Review: I love the premise of this book and how Riley's resolution really snowballs. There's lots of fun characters, and right off when I met Paul, I knew he'd be someone Riley needed to keep an eye on. I love the way their relationship slowly develops and also the flashbacks that show how much "change" means to Riley. Her ex-fiance seems to pop up out of nowhere and the setup until we meet her true love interest (we're introduced to a guy named James first) seem to lag and can get confusing. Still, Aubrey is an author I will come back to and read more from.

Disclaimer: Nothing.

For more reviews stop by: [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars A cute book with a great idea!, June 25, 2012
This review is from: Spare Change (Paperback)
Spare Change is a cute story with a likeable heroine, Riley. The story is told entirely from Riley's point of view, which gets you inside her head to see her thoughts and ideas, many of which are rather amusing. Her "voice" is entertaining and very easy to read.

I liked how most of the story centered around doing something to help others. Collecting pennies may not seem like much, but when lots of people get involved it's surprising how much a few pennies can add up to. Of course Riley's personal life is also a big part of the story, but I just really appreciated the selfless attitude that the entire penny idea conveyed.

For those wondering about content, I'm happy to say that this book is extremely clean. No uncomfortable situations, and the language stays clean as well.

At 200 pages, Spare Change is a fairly quick read. It's light and fun, and while I'm not sure it will stick with me extremely long, I did enjoy the story. This is a book that I feel would make a great Hallmark movie, it has all the right ingredients! Anyway, if you're looking for something fun and light, this would be a good choice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book!, March 14, 2011
This review is from: Spare Change (Paperback)
I read this book last week and loved it so much that I may read it again this week! Just the fact that it is all about a girl who decides that she wants to save her pennies to do something at the end of the year and turns it into a service project to help those with cancer. Awesome! I also liked the fact that there was a little conflict before they ended up together. I always hope for sequels to awesome books and this is another one! Please, a sequel?

4.0 out of 5 stars Super cute and lovely!!, August 10, 2010
This review is from: Spare Change (Paperback)
I needed another cute fast sweet and light read, so I picked this book to read.

I wasn't very impressed by the beginning of the book, seeing the Paul was no where to be found and I started to wonder if the book would have any cute romance, I had to re-read the synopsis from the back cover. Luckily, I continued the book, phew!

I would prefer Paul to appear sooner, but that's fine. Then again, it wouldn't make much sense to let him appear that soon, as before he appears, it was mostly about how she got the idea.

Also, probably because I was impatient and didn't make an effort, I couldn't relate or understand Riley at first, but as I got pulled into the novel, I found myself understanding and know Riley much better. The random scenes from her past gave her more depth and more real, I love getting to know Riley.

I love Riley. She's very likable. She's funny, fun, sweet, and normal-flawed. I could see where she's coming from when she gets angry. Her family is just really fun and interesting. Her best friend and colleagues are awesome. Did I mention I love Paul?

Other than surprising me with how this novel turned out to be really awesome, there were a lot events in the book that really surprised me and I did not see them coming. I really love the surprises thrown in though! At some points, I was extremely careful not to accidentally-on-purpose read the next line/paragraph to spoil. Aubrey Mace balanced Riley's life with work, family and love pretty great in this novel!

I don't know if it sounds like I didn't like this much, but I like this a lot! A loooooooooooot!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a sweet read!, September 29, 2009
This review is from: Spare Change (Paperback)
Awww! What a sweet book! I can definitely see why Spare Change won the Whitney for best Romance in 2008. Aubrey Mace has the cutest writing style. Her narrator, Riley, had the quirkiest little voice--but not annoying! In fact the girl had applaudable streaks of sarcasm that I could not do without.

The story is about a 23-year-old girl with a fantastic New Year's resolution: to save all her pennies and then donate them to Cancer Research. But a grumpy yet handsome banker and a secret admirer pepper this story with wonderfully romantic episodes.

There were several times I laughed out loud, one of my favorites being at the end of her first date with the banker, Paul. Everyone knows how awkward that part of the date is, and author Aubrey Mace, I swear to you, related that awkwardness in the most perfect paragraph that could ever be written on the topic. I seriously felt like I was listening to a professional stand up comedian. But I cannot betray her secret lines, so you have to buy this book!

I also found the protagonist to be extremely relatable. I loved that she was terrible at sports, was addicted to ice cream, and was terrified of horses. She felt very real to me and I feel as though we could be friends--especially when she envied the "cool" looking girl on the motorcycle.

If you want a clean read with top of the class writing and several out loud laughing moments... (yes, I'll admit it, and I know my husband thinks I'm insane) then you need to read this book! Oh, and you'll love her quotes at the beginnings of every chapter! They were perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spare Change, May 25, 2009
This review is from: Spare Change (Paperback)
I really needed a quick, easy, fun read and this was it. Once I started reading I couldn't put it down. Definitely a "chick" story. Look forward to reading more from Aubrey Mace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Easy Reading!, December 2, 2008
This review is from: Spare Change (Paperback)
I found this book, Spare Change, to be a fun & easy book to read. I enjoyed the story of Riley, a 23 year old secretary at a cancer care center. Her new year's resolution is to save all of her pennies for one year, & then buy herself something fun at the end of the year, maybe she'll have enough to go on a trip! As time goes on, she sees that she's not going to get rich from this quest, & decides to donate her pennies to cancer research. The nurses that she works with hear of her resolution & decide to help by giving her their pennies. What started out as a small project, soon becomes a major fundraising effort. Along the way, she meets Paul, a teller at the bank, who thinks that she's just bringing in the pennies to irritate him! I enjoyed this book a lot! It was a nice & easy, fun book to read, that kept my interest thru out the entire story. I had a hard time putting it down at times. It's a nice Chick Lit type story that includes romance without disgusting sex scenes. I enjoyed this story & I think anyone else who takes a chance on it will to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, May 9, 2008
P. Bohling (Riverton, UT USA) - See all my reviews
I could hardly put the book down. I felt like I was part of the story. Good reading for all ages!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spare Change, May 9, 2008
This book is thoroughly enjoyable reading with the author drawing a vivid portrait of her characters. It was a delightful story that even my husband was interested in when I shared little quips, resulting in him reading his first "chick book" ever!. I highly recommend this for all ages, it is good, clean fun.

Spare Change
Spare Change by Aubrey Mace (Paperback - April 30, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.08