5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Ever
Published on November 28, 2006 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm actually not sure what I think of this one.
I'm oscillating wildly between giving it 5 stars and giving it 2. 3 seemed like a nice compromise :)

This is a book about... words and poetry, but not really. (I'm aware that's clear as mud, but bear with me here.) The author is seeking, I think, to define language and ideas without actually giving definitions. As an example, the first page runs:...
Published on April 9, 2010 by Ulyyf

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Ever, November 28, 2006
This review is from: Sparkle and Spin: A Book About Words (Hardcover)
I grew up with this book in the 60s. It was originally published in 1957 -- which shows how incredibly cutting-edge this mid-century modern book was. Through the years later the lessons of the book about language and imagery remained in my mind, and as an adult I finally managed to locate an out-of-print copy. I'm glad it's been republished -- it's true classic by two masters of the era.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read for all ages, November 10, 2007
This review is from: Sparkle and Spin: A Book About Words (Hardcover)
I chose this one for my 5 year old son, but our entire family enjoys reading it. I can't believe it was published so long ago! If you would like to articulate tintinabulate, then BUY THIS BOOK!

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm actually not sure what I think of this one., April 9, 2010

What are words?
Words are how what you think inside
comes out
and how to remember what you might
forget about.

The book goes on like this until the end. And honestly, I'm not sure if I like it or not. The author has a gift of putting together language in a way that's friendly and makes the whole concept of "language" clear... but I'm not sure if she goes above the head of her audience or, conversely, is well too easy for them!

The illustrations are cheerfully retro (well, they were modern when this was first in print), no complaints there.

Check this book out of the library before you buy it. And you know what? If you like it, try Margaret Wise Brown's The Important Book. These two have similar styles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book on explaining words, January 29, 2007
D. Renaud (Northborough, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sparkle and Spin: A Book About Words (Hardcover)
It's fun, it's easy for kids to understand. My twin boys love it, we talk about what is being read and it illustrates through pictures and words how things come together. And then the "why" questions just keep on coming!! Enjoy

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for all ages!, July 9, 2011
This review is from: Sparkle and Spin: A Book About Words (Hardcover)
I'm totally smitten with this book and I plan on getting more reprints by the Rands. My son is about 8 months now and certainly doesn't understand the meaning behind this book but it still keeps him entertained (as well as myself!). He draws his hands around the illustrations and is content while listening to what I am reading. I read this so often that I think he recognizes it when I pull it out!

The illustrations are wonderful and I absolutely love the midcentury modern aesthetic. The words are poetic but I feel that they can still be understood by young children. I've read it to a 4 year old and she had a lot of questions as I read but I think that is what makes this book great! How can a book that tries to articulate the word tintinnabulate not be a good book!

I am not sure about the original, but this book has glitter on the front of the book. This is my only complaint. I have never been a fan of glitter because I'll find it on my clothing and skin for days after. I think they took the term "sparkle" too literally when they designed the cover of the book. Really, this is just a minor complaint though. It will never keep me from reading this book to my son almost every evening!

I can't wait until my son is old enough to understand the words in this book because I think he will love it even more!

5.0 out of 5 stars yet another chance to own the work of a master, January 11, 2007
This review is from: Sparkle and Spin: A Book About Words (Hardcover)
It is a great chance to own a peice work of a master, reprint after so many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 7, 2014
Very cool ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, an inspiration, June 13, 2014
This review is from: Sparkle and Spin: A Book About Words (Hardcover)
The illustrations are a wonderful way to expose young readers to the power of simple abstract imagery. If you love Paul Rand it's a must have. If you don't know who Paul Rand is, this will start you on your way to admiring one of the most influential graphic designers of all time.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, October 21, 2013
This review is from: Sparkle and Spin: A Book About Words (Hardcover)
not my daughters favorite book. Not mine either. I expected it to be a lot cuter. hardly any words in the book

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of my daughter's favorite books, March 1, 2013
This review is from: Sparkle and Spin: A Book About Words (Hardcover)
My daughter is three. I'm sure she doesn't understand everything about the book but she loves it. She loves the words Sparkle and Spin. She loves repeating the phrase, "The day is fine the sun will shine!" It is a really wonderful book with outstanding illustrations.

Sparkle and Spin: A Book About Words
Sparkle and Spin: A Book About Words by Paul Rand (Hardcover - August 3, 2006)
$16.99 $12.67