4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, especially for those who read her blog
Published 18 months ago by mindibz

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny, but not quite there.
This book made me snort and chortle, I loved the references to motherhood and its often ugliness. Who doesn't love a good breast pump joke?

Published 18 months ago by Robert Fawson

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, especially for those who read her blog, February 14, 2013
This review is from: Sparkly Green Earrings: Catching the Light at Every Turn (Paperback)
I have read Melanie's blog for years so I knew I would like this book. I enjoy her style of writing (witty and mindless is how I would describe it). And I don't say mindless in a bad way, but rather mean that I can usually read it without having to think too much and get lost in the story (which is usually about nothing at all, as she'll often start the story by warning you) and still walk away having laughed and being glad I took the time to read it. I felt the same about the book. It offered some background and additional stories for those of us who know her through the blog, but it didn't really go deeper than the blog does. I would love to visit with someone who read it who had never read her blog. I would be interested to know what it was like to read with none of that context, and if they were able to connect as much. I was secretly hoping for a little more depth with the book because occasionally she posts with depth, and I enjoy that side of her as well, but it's easy to understand that the book was intended to showcase the writing style for which she gained her current following.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delight for a Mommy's Heart, February 10, 2013
I have anxiously awaited this book since the first I heard of it being in progress, since the Big Mama blog is one of my daily moments of me-time. Melanie's writing style is a breath of fresh air in a world of pretension. The chapters are fluid and the book is organized perfectly. I found myself continually wanting to read portions of the book out loud to whomever would listen. Green Sparkly Earrings did for me what the best books do-- it made me laugh, cry, recognize myself in its pages, and close the back cover with a sense of sadness that it ended. Motherhood is a challenging task at worst, a joy every moment at best, and it is wonderful to know that women like Melanie Shankle are documenting the journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, February 8, 2013
Ever read something and then feel like "man,I think I could be friends with this girl?" That's how you feel reading her blog and this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brought Back Memories ... with a Smile, February 18, 2013
Deborah Porter (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
I had not read anything by Melanie before this, so Sparkly Green Earrings was a very pleasant surprise. So much of what Melanie shared brought back memories of my own parenting experiences. That made it an enjoyable read straight away. The humour was just the icing on the cake.

I felt the book lost momentum a little as it reached the end. Although Melanie wrapped things up in a very positive and quite lovely way, it lost a little of that special spark contained in the rest of the book. Even so, for anyone who is planning a family, has a child, or has been through the whole experience, this is well worth the read. Quite delightful at times.

The book does relate the author's Christian faith, but not in an overly heavy way. In fact, Melanie managed to balance communicating her faith while still being very real. She has a style of communication that relates very well to the reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Big Mama Blog, February 12, 2013
As a daily reader of The Big Mama Blog, I eagerly anticipated Melanie Shankle's book and, as predicted, read it in less than 24 hours. I love her writing style and her ability to say what a lot of us are thinking, but in a more interesting way. If you're not familiar with her blog, I consider this a "best of" collection of her stories with a little more insight into some private parts of her world. If you are familiar with her blog, it's a great reminder of the fun "we've" shared over the years, and it's a nice way to support someone who has provided so many of us with free daily laughs for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, February 8, 2013
Never to disappoint, again she does a fantastic job of making me want to be her best friend...just don't want to be a stalker! READ THIS BOOK!

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny, but not quite there., February 25, 2013

But there was something essential missing. The blogging format was evident here, and an overarching storyline was sorely missed, the narrative felt choppy and sporadic. She's a great writer, but I found her experiences underwhelming.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for moms of young children!, May 15, 2013
This is a great book and relates well to moms of young children. Although childless women and moms with older children will laugh at Shankle's antics, too, they may not connect as much with it. And even though I enjoyed the book and laughed quite a bit, I got bored after a while as it was mommy story after mommy story. I would have enjoyed it so much more if it had been cut shorter and gotten to the purpose of the Sparkly Green Earrings title much sooner.

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever turns of phrase, but lacking substance, February 20, 2013
The author is a popular blogger whose writing has improved over the years, and she does have some very funny insights. If you approach this book wanting to enjoy her wit and genuine love for her daughter, you won't be disappointed; however, holding her up as a parenting expert, a brilliant writer (her editor should have reined in her use of sentence fragments,) or even as one whose opinions are a model of mothering is a different story. I understand the appeal of "keeping it real," but as a teacher and as a mom who worked very hard for the PTA, I somewhat resented Mrs. Shankle's flippant condescension. I appreciate her gift for humor, but think the reviews for the book thus far are a bit effusive for the quality of the work. Hopefully her future books will show a bit more perspective and maturity.

1.0 out of 5 stars not what I expected, June 12, 2014
umm...this was not as great as some people said. Her writing style was OK, but the whole book was boring and honestly, giving an excuse to lazy parenting was unsettling. I am not an overachiever, but I'd like to compare myself to someone better and be inspired to do more and not sit around and make fun of other moms who are working their tales off on personal growth. Will not recommend this book to anyone. sorry

Sparkly Green Earrings: Catching the Light at Every Turn
Sparkly Green Earrings: Catching the Light at Every Turn by Melanie Shankle (Paperback - February 8, 2013)
$14.99 $11.18