Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

90%
10%

on December 19, 1999
I was first exposed to Richard Shindell through my sister Joanie who guests on a couple of flute tracks on the record. I hadn't heard of Richard at the time, but boy was I sure glad she gave me a copy. It blew me away and I've picked up every Shindell album since. I'm never disappointed with a Shindell album, but this just may be his best. The lyrics on this album come to life in a way that you feel you're a character in each song and his vocal style is as pleasant as any I've heard. You won't be disappointed!
on February 22, 1999
Great record! I've been wondering for ages who this guy was. I'd heard a Dar Williams cover and a song on a compilation, but it wasn't until the CRY CRY CRY cd that I finally put it all together. This guy is something special.Incredible writer. Voice that makes you weep.A great addition to the list of introspective male singers.If you like David Wilcox or John Gorka(or Jackson Brown or James Taylor for that matter)you'll love this guy.
on November 1, 1998
If there was a law that you could only own 1 cd forever, this would be my choice. Richard Shindell tells stories of places and times that stay with you. His voice and guitar playing are phenominal! In one word, awesome! Per a dictionary....An emotion of mingled reverence dread and wonder inspired by something majestic or sublime. Awesome is truly the correct word!
on March 10, 2001
This album contains the greatest break-up song ever recorded: "Are you happy now". It is a song at once funny, dry, and ultimately heart-breaking... much like John Prine, Shindell has the ability to crack a joke that will both make you laugh, and totally bring the whole emotional weight of song crushing down on you. The idea of someone walking out of a relationship on Halloween and taking all the candy with them... brilliant! To me, the rest of the album is a bit of a mixed bag... quite literally. It seems like a sampler or a calling-card... stylistically all over the map, country-western truck driving songs, english-folk style ballads, depression-era ballads, religious paeans... it jumps around a lot and ultimately lacks the cohesion that binds his later works ("somewhere near paterson" is great example)together as whole pieces. This CD seems like a great songwriter, intent on showing everyone how many styles he is proficent with. In all fairness, the results are always musically and emotionally satisfying, rather than academic, but it's worth noting. Wow, tell me it doen't have the lamest cover art ever, though? bad photo, cheesy looking type-face. Ugh. Don't judge this one by its cover. An amazing debut, all things considered, and "are you happy now" is probably still his best song.
on February 11, 2000
If you've come upon "Sparrow's Point" "accidently" in the intentions of finding a very talented folk singer with a good accoutstic guitar and great lyrics, then you're very lucky to have found Richard Shindell. Being able to listen (on-line) to all the tracks of this cd is really good too, I mean, if you've listened to all these "bits of tracks" above and you've liked them, well then I suggest you buy this CD because what you've liked so far is only a third of what you will once you can listen to every (incredible and melodic) whole song on "Sparrow's Point" Enjoy! =)
on July 2, 1998
Richard Shindell manages to paint a picture in my mind with almost every song here. Some appear dark and mysterious, ("By Now, You Again"), and some not as much so, ("Are You Happy Now" and "Kenworth of My Dreams"). Listening to this CD is like watching a series of videos in my imagination, and great ones at that.
on April 19, 2000
I have never owned or listened to a folk album in my life. My main musical interests are nowhere near what Richard Shindell does. But one day I heard some of Sparrows Point and I was hooked. The guy is just a great singer/songwriter. I have picked up all of his CD's and he continues to be one of my favorite artists. It doesn't matter if you like or don't like folk. If you love great songwriting then you will definantly love Shindells work.
0Comment9 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2003
I have only recently become a fan of the so called "contemporary Folk" genre. I am so grateful for the internet and amazon.com for providing a venue for us to share our musical tastes, and lesser known talents. You won't hear Richard Shindell on the radio unless you live in one of the very few cities that has a Folk Radio Station, but if you do happen along one of his songs you will be hooked like me for life. Regardless of whether you like Folk, Rock, Soul, Americana, Country, you will undoubtedly like Shindell. He is a master of his song writing craft,and he has a beautifully rich voice that dances perfectly with his poignant songs. He writes music and songs that you never quite get sick of. He is a true gem of a musician and songwriter. The song Sparrows Point sends shivers down my spine. And if you are looking for more, he's got it. His music knows no boundaries. It is just plain good music.
on April 11, 2008
I first heard Richard Shindell while listening to an NPR station in Minnesota (I think) many years ago. I was listening via the web. I was immediately drawn to his music. And his VOICE... simply amazing! I spent quite a while tracking down that station's playlist to find out who he was. I finally did... then immediately went to Amazon to order Sparrow's Point. After falling in love with the CD, I ordered three more CD's of his and have been a diehard fan ever since. I guess "folk" music is his genre, but somehow his music transends that label. I find his voice hauntingly beautiful. This is not Peter, Paul, and Mary here folks (not that there's anything wrong with them!) I highly recommend Richard Shindell.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2006
"The Courier" Listen Listen Listen This is a little better live, but a powerful song nonetheless. "Sparrows Point" is a melancholy song that Richard rarely plays in concert. I guess the masses want more upbeat songs. It's a gem though. "Memory Of You" and "You Again" Listen Listen Listen is a masterpiece about the haunting of a lost love. "Nora" is along the same lines. "Howling At The Trouble" and "By Now" tell amazing stories and will attract our souls and emotions.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse