5.0 out of 5 stars Review from a Professional Mediator
Published on February 1, 2006 by Jim Manske

2.0 out of 5 stars Please read "Nonviolent Communication" instead.
I want to highly recommend that you read Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life
instead of this book.

"Speak Peace" is essentially a watered down version of "Nonviolent Communication",
which contains more of the same anecdotal stories about Marshall's experiences;
and very few of those are finished
and/or don't include the details on...
Published on October 13, 2011 by Curious Reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from a Professional Mediator, February 1, 2006
Jim Manske (La Crescenta, CA and Albuquerque, NM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Speak Peace in a World of Conflict: What You Say Next Will Change Your World (Paperback)
Reading Marshall Rosenberg's newly released book, Speak Peace in a World of Conflict helped me to deepen my understanding of the "heart of mediation" and inspired hope that positive social change was achievable. Rosenberg reveals an abundance of practical strategies that can transform your conflict resolution practice against a background of profound insight into his theory of human conflict and violence.

Marshall Rosenberg has tirelessly traveled the globe mediating disputes and training practitioners in Nonviolent Communication for more than forty years. In this new work, he offers an overview of the "mechanics" of the NVC process interwoven with a tapestry of tales illustrating the "consciousness" of NVC and its real world application. Rosenberg also adds theory concerning the roots of violence, the role of language, "domination systems" and "enemy images", while offering unique strategies for dispute resolution used by everyone from Israeli kindergartners to African tribal chieftains.

Three themes delineate the book's structure. The first section of the book covers the "Mechanics of Speaking Peace", including an overview of the Nonviolent Communication process developed by Rosenberg. Featured throughout this section are exercises that invite the reader to have a direct experience of the potential of the process to deepen self-awareness and open to new possibilities for how we interact with one another.

In Part 2, Rosenberg focuses on "Applying Nonviolent Communication". First, he shows how the NVC process can be utilized for working on oneself to deepen a connection to "divine energy", a phrase Rosenberg uses to describe the "spiritual basis" of NVC. He defines this divine energy as "our natural life-serving energy", and asserts, "this divine energy is manifest in the joy we feel in giving to one another."

Rosenberg continues, "Unfortunately, many of us are blocked from that divine

energy by the way we've been taught to think". He offers Nonviolent Communication as a process for connecting with this divine energy, first in oneself, and then within the context of interpersonal relationships and social change. He covers the practice of empathy, a skillful process required to sustain connection in a mediation context. Rosenberg also explains the roots of violence contained in the language we have all been educated to speak.

Finally, in "Speaking Peace for Social Change", he focuses on effective strategies for facilitating social change. Including examples from the fields of education and intertribal conflict, he highlights our habitual tendency to manufacture "enemy images" which limit our capacity to be effective agents of social change. He shows how the NVC process can be used to dismantle these enemy images and build a bridge of connection, human to human. He also gives explicit ideas for how to use the NVC process in mediating disputes at all levels of human interaction, including a powerful and unique strategy to employ when one or more disputants resist coming to mediation.

Rosenberg offers practices for dealing with the burnout and despair common for

agents of social change, including the power of gratitude for building internal resources to sustain one's efforts in a world filled with pain and suffering.

Although some of the material in Speak Peace will be familiar to readers of Rosenberg's previous books, this book contains a depth and breadth not available there. Rosenberg conveys his material in a light-hearted yet deeply touching manner. Reading the book, I both laughed out loud and was moved to tears.

This book will be valuable to both new and veteran practitioners because it offers a rare insight and clarity into the nature of human conflict and its resolution, while offering specific exercises and practices designed to immediately implement the theory and make it practical.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good followup to NVC, January 4, 2007
"Speak Peace In A World Of Conflict" is a necessary book in these challenging times. There is so much tension in the world that it is difficult to think positive, much less speak in a manner that is compassionate. You may be familiar with Rosenberg's other book, "Non-Violent Communication". Well, that book transformed my thinking about how I communicated with others, especially with my family. I always prided myself on my 'clear communication' but I didn't realize that my communication was filled with sarcasm, aggression and control. After reading that book, I learned how to LISTEN emphatically and to realize that we are all basically trying to 'get our needs met' when we communicate. This created a paradigm shift in myself and I learned to listen also to my own needs, which helped me to be more clear, more kind and less abrasive.

"Speak Peace" is a great follow-up book to "Non Violent Communication". It gives real life examples and more depth to the whole concept. If you are uncertain about NVC, this book will clarify it further. I am continuing to apply the principles and I have noticed a new warmth and joy in my family relationships. Recently, we had a very trying situation that brought out a lot of anger, hard feelings and misunderstandings - by following NVC, I was able to reduce the negativity and diffuse the conflict. Very healing stuff. I recommend any of Rosenberg's books.

2.0 out of 5 stars Please read "Nonviolent Communication" instead., October 13, 2011
instead of this book.

which contains more of the same anecdotal stories about Marshall's experiences;
and very few of those are finished
and/or don't include the details on how he resolved the issue.
Half of the time it reads like a sales pitch for taking a course,
or buying the book I'm recommending.
A direct example:
"Sadly, very few people have much of a feelings vocabulary,
and I see the cost of that quite often in my work.
If you would like to see an extensive list of feelings,
see the chapter on identifying and expressing feelings in my book
'Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life'."

I genuinely hope you read Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life
I plan on reading it for a second time,
because it does include those practical details (which I think this book lacks)
in such abundance that I really need to review it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than the title says.., January 25, 2009
This book is not a 'read only' book, it is a 'do it/work on it' book. It's about making peace at three different, but so very much connected and intertwined, levels: a world of conflict; a personal relationship of conflict; a person of conflict. So many people speak of peace or about peace, but they bring no peace. And why not? Because one has to be at peace with oneself before one can truly bring peace in ones relationship or in the world. This book gives us the tools to do just that. We can make peace with ourselves and from there bring it into 'the outer world'. This is one of the most important books I have read for a long, long time. This book is learning (I am not finished yet by far..) me to be at peace with myself, which is something completely different from 'control myself' or terms like that. It gives me a milder, softer point of view about who I am, what I do, and why I did things that I did, in the way that I did them. Because of that, or together with that, it is also learning me to understand, and connect with, other people from a different, milder, softer point of view. And yet at the same time it makes me stronger. It is not about a weak 'peace' such as in 'avoiding conflict' or 'giving in'. But about a strong peace, because we can (learn to) see clearer what is happening inside ourselves and the other person(s) and act in a way that both we and our 'opponents' come out winning. This book is not only about speaking peace in a world of conflict. This is a book about finding peace within yourself and through that, being able to truly bring peace into your world, it is a book about healing and a book about 'winning together'; a book about hope for a split up and violent world. I love it and recommend it with all my heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for improving communication skills, February 22, 2008
Still Looking "Grace" (Ananda Village, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Use this book as a catalyst to improve communication and connection with everyone you know. Trade in judging and controlling relationships for understanding the needs and feelings of yourself, as well as others. Rediscover your connectedness with everyone and celebrate the peace that comes from empathy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Love Loooooove it!, July 6, 2009
Y "EssentialChi" (Cave Creek, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
I can't think of anyone who would not benefit from this book. I love Marshall Rosenberg's explanation of the philosophy of NVC (Non-Violent Communication)which is some circles is also referred to as Compassionate Communication. This book brought me back to a familiar place within me and awakened a world of possibilities. I can actually see how my words affect my immediate world and can have a ripple effect outwards. Since reading this book a few years ago for the first time, I have since purchased and gifted copies of this book to others (and I re-read it on a regular basis...)

If you are a manager/leader in a corporation or if you are a parent trying to get your kids to pick up their socks, the principles in this book can help you communicate in a peaceful way to get what you need.

So now, instead of asking the kids to clean up the kitchen, I thank them when they do it out of their own accord just because they too crave peace in their hearts. They are just born that way.

And, email exchanges at work that may have led to confrontation are handled easily by applying the language of compassion and clearly stating your needs and feelings to give the other person the opportunity to give to you from their heart.

Y

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent methodology for healing even extreme conflict, February 19, 2008
D. Dreifus (Simi Valley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Rosenberg has explored and describes his very effective methodology for healing conflicts between individuals and groups by going beyond entrenched opinion to reach the common humanity in exceptionally diverse conditions even to the extent of extreme history of recent violence between participants. For example one lady felt compelled to warn Marshall that she may try to kill him after being raped and witnessing the brutal murder of a close friend in war torn Africa, yet Rosenberg's empathic and clear procedures brought her to a place of healing and comfort where such would have seemed not possible. This just one of numerous compelling real life stories. Obviously the methods may also be used in less extreme interpersonal areas. I found the illustration of a fifteen month conflict resolved between older traditional software engineers and the younger programmers with a "better way" quite enlightening and applicable to broader usage in my own thinking and approach to interpersonal issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speak Peace in a World of Conflict, August 2, 2009
This book suggests an easy to remember formula for communicating with out judgements. I have tried it and it works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful for resolving conflicts!!!, September 18, 2011
The book teaches the readers how to communicate with others in a way that would resolve conflicts. The author, Marshall Rosenberg, describes a variety of situations where he used the principles of Nonviolent Communication to resolve conflicts. For example, he describes how he resolved conflicts that he experienced with his children. He also tells how he helped to resolve a conflict between the local government in St. Louis, MO and a street gang.

In this book, Rosenberg provides the tools for the reader to convey his or her needs in such a way that others are likely to empathize with and understand the speaker. Rosenberg highlights the importance of focusing on feelings and needs. I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in learning social skills, mediating conflicts for others, or finding better ways to fulfill his or her needs and desires.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your Daily Round that Promotes Resolution, October 30, 2008
Leanne Edwards (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
All of Marshall Rosenberg's books are life-altering, transcending, and a must-buy if you really want your life to work as you want to live it; and learn optimal communication skills, which is the primary means we human beings communicate. 99% of conflict is based on misunderstanding. Lack of emotional discipline and maturity at the heart of it all. This really and simply cuts through all of the verbal illusions and results in a win-win success in all human relationships. Period. It's just that simple. The key here is to adapt his recommendations and teachings to suit you; not vice-versa. You wear the suit, the suit doesn't wear you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Speak Peace in a World of Conflict: What You Say Next Will Change Your World
Speak Peace in a World of Conflict: What You Say Next Will Change Your World by Marshall B. Rosenberg (Paperback - October 28, 2005)
$15.95 $12.52