Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on September 13, 2012
I am a professional Home Theater/Stereo installer. I have a great many customers who have a home theater room, but also a few rooms that they want to run sound to. Unfortunately, most modern AVR's (audio-visual-receivers/amplifiers) do not have the connections or they make the set up exceedingly difficult for non-professionals to figure out how to achieve signal distribution to other rooms/speakers. The SS4 is one of the best and most cost-effective tools to overcome these shortcomings. For instance, if you purchase an AVR with 7.1 sound, you will be able to assign the rear surround speakers of your amplifier to another task like providing sound to other rooms. However, if you simply tap into the speaker posts on your receiver, you are likely to fry your expensive receiver by not matching the impedance of the speakers which you are trying to power. Add a jumper set of wires from the receiver to this selector and you will be able to run up to 4 additional pair of speakers throughout your house without having to buy a separate amplifier. You should use the largest gauge wire for the jumpers possible - usually 12G or 14G. Then all of your runs to your other speakers should also be given the largest gauge wire possible, at least 14G. This will minimize the diminution of volume from splitting the power from your amplifier from a single set of posts to several sets of speakers. The box (SS4) will take care of protecting your amplifier. I like this piece of equipment for it's essential protection functions, ability to turn on/off speakers on a room to room basis, its' ability to provide sound to multiple rooms from an AVR that does not have that capability, and finally its' cost which is exceptional. If you have any questions feel free to contact me for more information.
3636 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2014
Works great so far, I used it to connect the Zone 2 output of my Onkyo 605 to 2 sets of speakers in my new apartment that are in the ceilings. I was worried out the impedence being correct and overloading the amp and this takes care of it. Nice solid metal box, well built and good value. May use one of the 2 remaining outputs to run some speakers on the patio in the summer.
on December 16, 2014
I bought this and used it for a year or two connected to a small Realistic 60W/channel receiver. I used it to switch between speakers inside the house and another pair mounted under the eaves on my back porch. It worked flawlessly. I have moved since I bought it and it is still packed up. I am considering using it in my studio to run the output of my stereo Ampeg guitar amp into one or more 4x12's (stereo) for easy switching of cabinets when recording.
on June 11, 2013
This is great quality for the price but i also have a 6 speaker selector from monoprice which looks identical except for the painted finish (dayton is textured, monoprice is smooth) The monoprice is cheaper.
on October 23, 2013
Works well for me for directing off 3 sets of speakers (it will work up to 4 pairs).
But the back of the unit and how it routes incoming and outgoing speakers is very confusing!
So setup was a bit of a pain, but it works perfectly after a little bit of setup confusion :)
on April 2, 2012
The SS4 Speaker selector arrived quickly and without issues, looked and performed as expected. Easy to set-up and use. For the price, an excellent item - would recommend this item.
on September 27, 2013
Installing a new cabinet, had to redo our sound setup. The old Speaker Selector we had in place required unscrewing tiny screws and fitting the wires into an equally tiny space. It was even difficult disconnecting the old one. This unit is more compact, better looking, and it has pressure switches to catch the speaker wire. Much easier to setup, and it works just fine. There is an impedance switch, and you have to be sure that you are matching the output from your tuner to the appropriate impedance for your speakers.
on March 25, 2014
I was a little concerned that connecting three sets of speakers would result in a massive loss of volume or sound quality. I have this connected to two pairs of ceiling speakers in the house and one pair outside. The sound is great regardless of which pair of speakers and I noticed no massive loss of power. Each pair still puts out a lot of volume.
on March 27, 2015
This unit sparked once I turned everthing on and destroyed itself and my $1000 Nad amp. I hope this vendor is going to fix my equipment, otherwise avoid at all cost. I will keep you updated and I will share the results
on November 17, 2013
I got this to control speakers I put in my ceiling to play our Serius Radio thought the house. But wanted to be able to turn some of them off when listening to something else or watching TV. It words great.