on April 12, 2006
Format: Paperback
At the beginning of the book Hill writes, "I did not choose the issue of sexual harassment, it chose me." And that is undoubtedly true. Anita Hill is a household name and her name immediately brings to mind the issue of sexual harassment. Hill describes how the issue chose her in this book.

You can tell just how truthful this book is by the way in which it was written. This is not the best written book. But, Anita Hill puts on no airs, she just tells the truth and the way she saw it in a simple, understandable voice.

And the truth is, she was put through the ringer by people in power who did not want to a) acknowledge that sexual harassment is a problem, and b) change the current widespread problem of sexual harassment and thus change our current power structure.

It is interesting to note how Hill relates the problem of sexual harassment to other crimes committed against women which are also motivated by power and control. These comparisons ring a bell of truth.

Hill also writes about how at times, when one is a ethnic minority and a woman, one has to choose between honoring their gender and honoring their race. Her analysis of this is enough to read the book.

I recommend this book to those who are interested in getting to know the real Anita Hill, those who are interested in insider politics especially when it concerns problems unique to women, and those who are interested in the way that different minority groups bisect each other.

The reason I didn't give this book a higher rating is because, as I mentioned, it's not the most well written book. I feel that at times the writing was circular and repetitive. The words don't leap off the page. However, also, at times the writing is very direct and potent and say the truth in a manner that is clear and concise. At those times, ideas leap off the page.
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
What a lovely, lovely woman and with what class does she tell her story! How unfortunate that we live in a country where sexual harassment is so difficult for men to understand, and yet so pervasively cruel and persistent! And how very unfortunate that such a man as Clarence Thomas now has so much power in our government, power that we know he can not be trusted with. But how surprising is that really, today? Respect for women is hardly a qualification for office in the US Government, and it may never be if we don't all work together to make that difference -- and it's going to be a lot harder than it should be.
Anita Hill is a clear, calm, concise writer with a powerful story to tell. It is not easy to speak Truth to Power, but it is an essential element of making a difference. I honor all those who take the risk. I know how difficult it can be. I also know how very important it is. Anita Hill did not choose to be harassed, and she did not choose to be a weapon, but when called, she responed, and she told the truth, as awkward as it was for her. For those who would ridicule her ordeal, I can only say that no one should have to tolerate the inappropriate sexual behavior that exists in the workplace. We know it exists on the highest level. We know better than to say it couldn't be true. And we know Anita Hill got no pleasure from answering such personal, humiliating questions. She did what was expected of her, and it was *her* integrity that suffered, *her* career that wobbled while Clarence Thomas triumphed. His judgement leaves a lot to be desired, IMHO. I honor the efforts of Ms. Hill to honor the truth of her experience.
on May 31, 2002
Format: Hardcover
I am so glad I read this book - it gave me insight into what a wonderful woman Anita Hill is in explaining the ordeal she went through in testifying at "the hearings." I must admit that at the time, I didn't believe Hill's testaments; she appeared nervous and uncertain whereas Thomas appeared very sure of himself, was outraged, and even went so far as to cry before the Senate Committee and television cameras. Of course, I now realize that was just an act.
Anyhow, I thought that after the hearings were over, Anita Hill went back home to Oklahoma and went on with her life, the ordeal forgotten. After reading this book, I had no idea that Hill endured further harassment from students at the university where she taught, faculty, the media, and people who never knew her nor she them. It was downright outrageous and disgusting.
Hill writes eloquently about her roots, her upbringing in Oklahoma, her years at Yale Univ. Law School, and her job at the EEOC where she worked under Clarence Thomas and the harassment she endured from him, her subsequent career change all the way up until the hearings. It's all interesting and worth reading.
Anita Hill is the catalyst for which the laws of sexual harassment have changed and claims for which are now taken very seriously. It is very unfortunate that she had to take such torment and emotional brutality as a result of it, as if harassment from Thomas wasn't enough in and of itself.
That Thomas is now sitting on the highest court in the land for life, knowing the content of his character and demeanor, is indeed disturbing. But I hope that deep inside he is sorry and feels the utmost remorse and guilt for his mistreatment of Anita Hill and all his other victims.
The truth always come out - maybe not today or tomorrow - but eventually it does. Thomas knows what he did, and the world knows what he did despite his "categorical" denials.
It is my hope that Anita Hill finds the peace and happiness she deserves. Her life will never be the same, as she herself admits, but unfortunately almost all movers and shakers's lives were and are forever changed.
An insightful and honest book, I recommend it highly.
on March 25, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
This is an otherwise excellent book, that is hurt by an excess of feminist and racial theory. Otherwise it deals with Thomas in a forthright way as Anita Hill defends herself from the many attacks to which she has been subjected. It's worth reading anyway.

The reader might prefer reading "Strange Justice" to find a well researched and objective account of Hill v. Thomas.
on September 2, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
A clear-eyed account of the controversy surrounding her, and the social and political context as she experienced it both personally and intellectually. In addition to relating her individual experience as a lone outsider pulled into a Washington maelstrom, she follows the threads of the larger story with detailed and precise logic. As a companion to this, I urge you also to read "Blinded by the Right: The Conscience of an Ex-Conservative" by David Brock, which includes a chilling, behind-the-scenes account of the same episode — from the other side — by one of Hill's most ferocious detractors at the time.
Format: Hardcover
The first 70 pages of this book Hill talks about her family and her upbringing.

Hill says that Thomas offered her the job at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) as he could not guarantee her job at the Department of Education. The EEOC handles job discrimination cases.

Hill talks briefly about working with Thomas.

I never really fully understood, and I don’t think she addressed it head on, as to why she waited 10 years to say she was sexually harassed by Thomas. She says it was because she felt it was important for the information to be made public before Thomas was elected to his life-long position as a Supreme Court Judge.

A majority of the book is about the details of the giving of her statement and the media’s participation. This portion of the book seems to be written very much like a diary, documenting the weather, her clothes, and what she ate, what she thought and what she said, etc. Since this book was written several years later, I wonder if she did have a diary of sorts to reflect back on. I can’t imagine ones memory being that good.

It’s sad to hear of what she went through at her job as a Professor at Oklahoma University, which eventually lead to her resignation.

Her testimony was ground-breaking as it brought sexual harassment, in the work place, to light. Since her testimony there have been laws and protocol put into place, regarding sexual harassment, that were not there previously.

The book is not a fast read (as there is a ton of detail) but is truly an interesting read.
on May 15, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I watched the hearings on TV and this brought back a lot of memories. Anita Hill really went through a lot to Speak Truth to Power.
on October 2, 2014
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I have always admired Anita Hill and I loved this book. I will never forget her testimony against Clarence Thomas. Too bad she wasn't believed.
on May 6, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Anita Hill's recount of the events that transpired in 1991 is nothing short of remarkable. She is a role model to all those who've faced scrutiny after coming forward as a victim of sexual harassment. It disappoints me to no end that our elected officials not only treated Ms. Hill as if she were on trial, but then went on to confirm a likely perjurer to the nation's highest court. The saving grace in all of it is that her experience has brought much-needed awareness to the issue of sexual harassment.
on February 26, 2015
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Kind of long and tedious story. I thought it could have been done in less pages. Received quickly and in great condition.