Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Special K Cereal, Protein 13.5-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 4)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on August 22, 2012
I have been enjoyng the Special K Protein cereal for at least a year but Kellogs decided to "improve" it, and I say, Yuk. The "Extra" means they've added extra sugar! Now it does taste like cardboard, but cardboard that is sickly sweet. Another case where corporate America is determined to keep America's sweet-tooth in high gear. Thanks Kellogs, for making a good product bad.

Update: A good, less sugary low-carb, high-protein substitute for this cereal is Hi-Lo Low Carb Cereal by Organic Milling, which is also available on Amazon. Hi-Lo has 1/7 the sugar of the Special K, more protein and more fiber. And it tastes better.
on January 7, 2011
** This review was done for the old formula - see update below for review of the "improved" formula ** Last year, I stumbled across a website that evaluates your current breakfast cereal for nutrition, satiety, etc. and this cereal was at the top of the recommended list as an alternative to my former option. I've always found that original Special K left me more hungry and the suggested serving size was laughable. The artificial chocolate pieces in Choco. Delight were vile, so with those strikes, I was a bit reluctant to try Protein Plus. It didn't help that some reviewers didn't like the taste - ordering 4 boxes that I'd be stuck with was uncomfortable, but I went for it.

That was nearly a year ago and this has been my "go to" cereal ever since. I think it tastes pretty good, so I advise that you decide for yourself on taste. It has a light and sweet cinnamon flavor, I love the added protein and it's very low in sugar (2 g's per .75 cup serving). The flakes are sturdy (great crunch) and dense - not airy at all - holds up well in skim milk or yogurt, but I typically eat it straight up - out of my handy measuring cup. I don't need to sweeten it at all and a serving size, or just over, leaves me satisfied (really hard to do) and a box seems to last me awhile - another huge plus. I even carry a bag as a snack - especially when I travel - so that I'm not tempted to make less healthy choices. While I can't give all the credit to Protein Plus, as part of an overall reduced calorie daily intake attempt, I've lost 20 lbs in the past year - and although near my goal - have no intention of taking this off my grocery list.

**Update 8.5.12** - the formula and stats have indeed changed, and significantly IMO. I am not thrilled and I wish they left well enough alone. Examples: Calories from 100 to 120, Sugar (now the 3rd ingredient) from 2-3 to 7 grams (double - really?!), fiber and protein same, but the old box claims 5 grams of fiber when the fine print says 3. The new box just has 3. Other stats have changed too, I just don't have the old box available to refer to. I am eating the new boxes since I have 4 from Subscribe and Save, but I got no warning of the change and there is a huge difference in texture, sweetness, etc. Overall, it tastes okay, but it lost its edge. I have cancelled this S&S and I am going to look locally to see if I can still find the old formula and stock up. Big fat BOO to Kellogg's - other than the easier opening inner sack,this was a stupid move. If I could choose no stars - I would. I have found the old formula locally and I am stocking up!
1515 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2012
Boo to this. I was SO happy with it when I had finally found a low-carb cereal in which I could add my own sweetener to control how sweet I wanted it, and safely - with Stevia or something else. Even just a couple of sliced strawberries. This was the only one to fit into a reasonable daily carb allowance.

Then they changed it to be sweeter and loaded up on more sugar and carbs. I complained to Kellogg and they replied that they did a taste test and found people wanted it to be sweeter. A TASTE TEST. On people that probably had no interest in its intended purpose to be a healthier option for people that actually need to watch their diets closely - they evidently didn't test for value when it came to its health benefits, they tested purely for flavor. Shouldn't this have been tested on people that WERE concerned with health...? It's that essentially the goal demographic? The general public has TONS of sugary cereals to choose from. Can't we just have ONE?

You've lost my business, Kellogg, as well as many others that follow a low-carb/keto diet. I was once recommending this cereal to everyone that was trying to be more healthy so they didn't have to give up all the types of food they love--those on Atkins, Protein Power, the huge following of low-carbers on reddit, to name a few. Now we're back to pretty much no cereal options once again.
on August 18, 2012
This used to be one of the healthiest cereals available. As an almost vegetarian it was one of the only ways I could get enough iron and protein, plus it had loads of fiber. Now it has less fiber, way more sugar, and more carbs.

After 7+ years of this being a staple in my diet I will no longer be purchasing this. Such a shame.

I am SO disappointed and I know others are, as well. So, I created a petition in the hope that if enough people sign they might eventually return the original formula.

That said, since I've found Hi-Lo cereal which is even better (carb, sugar, and fiber-wise) than the original formula of special k low carb I kind of don't care what Kellogg's does.
on August 8, 2012
Two Words = "New Coke"
You took a product that had more protein than net carbs and had a great branny flavor and ruined it, Kellogg's.
Why would I buy this cereal anymore? I'll just stick to your other brand, kashi.
How stupid do you think the average cereal shopper is- "now tastes even better" - what garbage.
I could go on but I'll just stick to voting with my wallet.
on August 1, 2012
I tried the new formula other day and its terrible. I tried two days in a row and its like someone poured a box of fake sugar sweetener on the cereal and not a good kind. I had the worst after taste for hours even after i brushed my teeth. Anyway i emailed them and complained and asked why fiber was reduced to. I told them i would be taking it back to the store and buying a different cereal now. I am so disappointed. Here is the email response i got from them below. And there was no coupons attached either. WHATEVER.

I'm happy to hear you've enjoyed them for many years! Thank you for your comments regarding Kellogg's® Special K® Low Carb Lifestyle Protein Plus cereal. We are sorry you did not enjoy the reformulated product.

As you might imagine, we conduct extensive consumer tests to determine consumer acceptance before introducing a food into the national market. Reformulated products are of special concern to us, so we use panels of regular product users across the country to ensure acceptability. Tests on this reformulated product showed that most consumers preferred the new product to the old. However, we realize that taste preferences do differ and can certainly understand your feelings.

I've compiled a list of cereals with high fiber counts. You may wish to try:

Kellogg's FiberPlus® Berry Yogurt Crunch cereal
Kellogg's FiberPlus® Caramel Pecan Crunch cereal
Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal< BR>Kell ogg's® All-Bran® Bran Buds® cereal

We appreciate your comments and will share them with the appropriate company officials. We have enclosed some coupons which we hope you will use to purchase other products that you enjoy.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts!

Sincerely,

Ruben R.
Consumer Specialist
Consumer Affairs

TLXRXR01/cl
025968680A
on July 27, 2012
BUYER BEWARE! I have been enjoying this cereal for quite some time. I was so disappointed when I received the "Now Tastes Even Better" boxes of this cereal. I guess Kelloggs' idea of "better" is adding sugar and reducing the fiber. Sugar is now listed as the 3rd most prominent ingredient. REALLY??? Had I wanted more sugar I could just add that myself. The description of the cereal I bought from Amazon reads:
Product Features - 100 calories
"4 boxes of 13.5 ounce Special K Protein Plus Cereal
Protein-rich combination of tasty, low-carb wheat, soy, and rice flakes
10 grams of protein with just 2 grams of sugar and 3 grams of fat in each serving
Lightly sweetened and deliciously crunchy for a great breakfast or snack
Good source of fiber for overall dietary wellbeing and sense of satisfaction"

The new numbers are 120 calories, 7 grams of sugar, just 3 grams of fiber and at least the one positive of only 1 gram of fat, reduced from 3. It may taste better to some, but to me it was fine just the way it was. I would have appreciated knowing about the change before I purchased this cereal again.
on August 26, 2012
The new formulation of this product does taste better. Kellogs accomplished this by more than doubling the sugar and halving the fiber. The thing is, I wasn't buying it for the taste, and now it has as much sugar per serving as some kids cereals.
on August 22, 2012
Used to love this cereal. Low sugar, high protein, and actually tasted pretty good. Sadly, as others have pointed out, the "new improved formula" ruins this cereal. It has changed from 2g of sugar to 7g of sugar without even improving the taste, unless you prefer to eat sugar for breakfast; I do not. Guess I'll have to scour the local stores for the old recipe version and eventually find a new breakfast option. Big letdown Kellogg's.
on August 12, 2012
I used to buy Special K Protein Plus all the time, but now that it "tastes even better" (read: now that they added sugar as one of the main ingredients), I won't be buying it anymore. More calories, more sugar, less fiber- but alas, now it is supposed to taste better. Maybe it does, but I won't be finding out.

See 1 answered question