Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

Flavor: Chocolate Peanut Butter|Size: 3 Pack|Change

on July 15, 2014
I am a longtime buyer of the Special K Protein Meal Chocolate Peanut Butter bars. I use Amazon's subscribe and save option to have them delivered every month because I have one of them for breakfast everyday. That said, I took a bite of my most recent delivery and realized something was different. The taste was slightly off. I compared my newest box to my previous shipment and realized that Special K had changed the formula! (The packaging is also slightly different: useby date is in red on top of the box, red 'good source of antioxidant vitamins C & E' added to front, now labeled 'naturally flavored' instead of 'naturally & artificially flavored' and '170 calories, 3.5g sat fat, 250mg sodium, 15g sugars' now prominently on box front.)

The bars went from 180 calories to 170. Carbohydrates from 25g to 23. The ingredients have also appeared to change. I will try to add pictures of the ingredient labels to the product pictures for those interested.

Overall I did not like the taste, most likely because I've been eating the same bar for months (over a year?) and the change was startling. I loved the old bars and I am unsure if I will continue to order them now. Just an FYI to previous buyers.

Edited to add: I have added the pictures.
review image review image
I tend to have quick breakfasts on the run before work in the mornings, so I often rely on quick, easy foods like bars. However, I avoid traditional breakfast bars, which tend to be high in sugar and have little-to-no protein. Rather, I want something that is going to start my day with a better nutritional value AND contain a decent amount of protein to keep me feeling full longer. The other problem is that it's breakfast--I don't want chocolate! Maybe true chocoholics eat chocolate at any time of the day, but I prefer something a bit more appropriate to the morning hours.

So, after Slim-Fast changed their bars on me (loved their old Oatmeal Raisin Optima bars, but really don't like the new version), I decided to try these meal replacement bars by Special K in Honey Almond. First of all, when I checked out the box, these bars met my nutritional requirements. They have 10 grams of protein, which is almost as much as some bars specifically billed as protein/energy bars. They are a good source of fiber as well, with 5 grams. Also, the sugar is relatively low at 12 grams (just over 2 teaspoons). Finally, although the fat content is a bit higher than I would have liked (6 grams), these bars contain only 2.5 grams saturated fat (no trans fat), so most of the fat is probably healthy fats from the almonds.

Of course, the final test of these bars is the taste: they are yummy! They are chewy, with a pleasant almond-y flavor that is not too sweet (an unfortunately problem that I've found with so many bars I have tried). These have become one of my new breakfast staples, and I definitely recommend them.
on March 1, 2008
These bars in the peanut/chocolate or the chocolate chip are the best! They fill me up have good fiber and protein content. Whenever I can get a good deal at Amazon I stock up!
on September 12, 2010
I eat these on a daily basis, they're that good. I can go weeks of having one or two a day until I start getting burned out, and after a couple of days I'm always ready for another. Special K meal bars have just the kick to last those extra two hours at the end of the day, or replace a junky fast-food breakfast. I feel like I've had a lot less problems with fatigue and stress since I've started keeping one handy all the time; when I start to get tired and grouchy I pop one open, get a short jog around the building, and I'm good to go. I go through about 2-3 boxes a month. After hundreds of bars I'd say the taste and texture could be improved just a little, but they're the only bar I've liked so much, while costing so little, that I eat it constantly. Never had a stale one. Get the subscription, it's so worth it.
on December 24, 2015
Tastes good and provides good nutrition. The only downside is that we eventually tired of eating these. They have a not so natural consistency to them which eventually made me feel like I was eating some post apocalyptic alternative to food.
on June 29, 2011
The only downside to these for me are that they taste so good i want to eat them like candy. About as dense and filling as most other bars of the same weight, but taste a lot better. Chocolate chip flavor is good as well, but this is the best flavor.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 7, 2013
I love these meal bars. They keep me full for quite awhile. Great when you're counting calories or having to grab something quick. Love the peanut butter flavor, and the almond flavor is very nice too.

And if you're craving something sweet these have a lot less calories than a candy bar. They are not overly sweet, but enough to tide you over until mealtime. Easy enough to toss in your purse and go.
on March 31, 2016
I bought these on a whim, as I have been attempting to get my son to eat more protein based food, and I know he loves both yogurt and bars. These seemed to fit the bill and so I took a chance on them. I am so glad I did- he devoured them! We went through the entire box in two days, and now I'm back to order more. I like that they have both oats and fruit, so I feel like he's getting a more well rounded diet. They have 10 grams of protein, which is a good amount and comparable to protein 'specific' bars. They are a good source of fiber as well, with 5 grams. Yes, they do have some sugar which I know is a problem for some parents, but doesn't bother me personally, and the sugar is relatively low at 12 grams. Finally, the bars contain only 2.5 grams saturated fat (no trans fat), so most of the fat is probably healthy fats from the almonds. I wish I could say for myself how they tasted, but my son ate them all before I even had a chance! I'm make sure on the next order to swipe one for myself.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 1, 2016
I am a big fan of meal bars and eat one every morning. I eat a variety of brands and decided to try Special K's Cranberry Walnut Bars for a change from all the chocolate and peanut butter bars I eat. This bar is actually really good. It is a tad sweet but has little pieces of cranberries and nuts in it with a bottom of hard frosting and some drizzled over the top.

I like that the bars are very low in fat and quite low in calories. There are just 10 grams of protein which is low for a meal but these have a good amount of fiber in them which is a bonus and they have no artificial sweetener. Corn syrup isn't my sweetener of choice but at least it isn't aspartame.

These bars make a good breakfast on the go or even a night snack. They taste like a baked product and have a number of vitamins and minerals in them. They're also big enough to fill me up.

I like these bars and will continue to buy them. Be aware of the price though. A box should only be around $6.00 or $7.00 so, if it is way over that, wait or look elsewhere. The price seems to jump and then go down all the time and I wait until it is down and then snag a couple of boxes.
on October 16, 2015
Really a good tasting bar. Granola bars started the portable snack craze when carrying an apple went out of fashion, and they've evolved into candy bar tasting products that just don't have the same healthful intention as they did in the beginning. This bar is too high in carbs (24g, of which 15 are sugar and ) and fat (170 cal, 4g saturated fat) to be a diabetic snack (+/- 15 carbs usually) but, if the protein content (10g) is necessary, it just may justify the cheat. I compared all the bars in my house to these: Kind Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate- 120 cal, 3.5g sat fat, 17 g carbs, 9g sugar, 2.5 dietary fiber, 0g sol fiber, 7g protein; Luna Lemon Zest- 180cal, 2.5 sat fat, 27g carbs, 12g sugar, 3g dietary fiber, 0g sol fiber, 9g protein; Atkins Cherry Pecan Bar- 160 cal, 1.5 sat fat, 15g carbs, 3g sugar, 4g dietary fiber, 0g sol fiber, 5g protein; and Kashi Peanutty (sic) Dark Chocolate- 130 cal, 1g sat fat, 20g carbs, 7g sugar, 4g dietary fiber, 2g sol fiber, 4g protein. I guess we've given up truly healthy for a bit tasty.