1,994
Color Name: White/Charcoal GreyProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$29.74 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 4, 2012
Color Name: White/Peacock BlueProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
I have owned every iphone since the 3G, and have used dozens of cases.
I've always been using "safer" cases, since I'm a klutz, and I regularly drop my phone.
Anyway, this is the best case I have seen or used yet.

First, functionality. The case is a perfect blend of a soft inner shell, and hard plastic molded on top of that. This is a great combo, which really offers protection from everything except water. My wife had used a Speck CandyShell on her iPhone4, while I used an Otterbox Defender on my iPhone4S (I was really scared of the glass back). Well, 1.5 years and many drops later, both phones survived in the same condition. I was nicely surprised, since my wife had quite a few nasty drops. Also worth noting is that on Otterbox cases, the soft and hard shells are not molded together. Not only is that bulkier, the soft shell stretches over time and doesn't fit well. I also prefer a hard outer shell, because soft ones are hard to put in your pocket. Just what I wanted.

Second, size. This case leaves the iPhone 5 nice and slim, and still fairly light. It appears that Speck used better materials for these new Candyshell versions, and because of this was actually able to slim down the case itself as well. Even the lip protruding from the front edge of the device has been lowered, while not effecting its ability to keep the phone above a table surface when face-down.

Third, finish quality. I have to praise Speck's design team for the attention to details.
-The new case materials look and feel great. The new inner-shell "rubber" is harder, and look like will surely last a while.
-The camera cutout looks to be a perfect size.
-The lip protruding from the front edge of the device has not only been lowered in comparison to the old Candyshell. -Its now also about 1mm lower directly near the sides of the screen. Yes, 1mm lower lips on the sides of the iPhone, than the top and bottom lips. The result is much more comfortable to use the iPhone in landscape mode. It barely raises your thumbs above the screen, while providing a perfect height to rest your fingers.
-The buttons are all perfectly cut and protected with rubber (except home button).
-The cut outs look just right. The speaker/mic grill does not look like a perfect fit, but it also doesn't sit flat on the iPhone5's grill. Testing revealed no sound problems with the mic or speaker.

Fourth, a bonus feature is surprisingly BETTER sound from the iPhone5's speaker. I am a bit of an audio enthusiast, and have even made some music with Cubase/Ableton. Without a doubt, the case improves the mid-range (and a bit of bass), and balances it with the high treble on the iPhone5's naked speaker. I believe that this is due to the extra space between the phone's speaker grill and the case's grill, which gives room for the sound to amplify and breathe better. Hard to tell if this was designed for this intentionally, but a closer look shows that this "space" was intentionally cut into the inside of the case.

I gave this case 4 stars because of a few small issues. The hard plastic will scratch over time, but its not as bad as some hipsters make it. Any plastic android scratches just as bad. Also, this case is a bit slippery to the touch, especially if your hands are moist. Also, it is a bit expensive, though still an investment that makes sense to save your phone.

Please note, large headphone plugs will NOT fit with this case on. I have had no problems with what I tried: the apple earpods, JVC Marshmallows, and even a pair of cheap headphones with the old "L" shaped plug. A stero extension cable I have, with plugs about as big as Radio Shacks', did not fit. Honestly, the iPhone5 is so thin, I am not sure how this can be solved with any case. Whether or not this is a problem, is for you to decide.

I would recommend it to anyone needing a good iPhone case, if not a bit tough too. I feel very safe with this case on because of its protection. Speck designed a winner, with great attention to detail. For a device I use so much every day, this is very important.

FOR BETTER GRIP:
I recommend the Candyshell Grip:
The rubber "grips" are superb. The previous Speck Candyshell Grips (for iphone 4/4S) had a horrible grip pad that was glued on, and was deep enough to get much lint stuck in there all the time. Lotsa bad reviews on Amazon. On this updated model, the grips are now thin strips that each sit in precise recess in the plastic shell. They are also shallow enough to provide excellent grip and not attract too much lint.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 21, 2013
Color Name: Black/Slate GreyProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
Many of these cases sold under this listing are fake! Only purchase from Amazon as the seller. See the pictures for descriptions and how to spot a fake. If you received a fake, report it to Amazon and get your money back.

Look at the user posted photos. Look at the picture with two cases side by side. The black case is fake, white is real.
review image review image review image review image review image
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 25, 2012
Color Name: White/Peacock BlueProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
I purchased this case directly from Speck Products the day the iPhone 5 was released and it arrived 3 days later. I got the case in Pebble (Grey)/Peacock (Blue) and it looks great.

The case does not add too much bulk to the phone, but with the hard outside shell coupled with the soft inside shell to absorb shock it provides the necessary protection. The case also does not take up unnecessary space on the screen. It will provide some protection for a fall on the face, but almost all 4 inches of the screen is available for use.

The wake/sleep button and the volume bottons are covered and easy to use. I use Monster headphones which has a big jack and it easily works with the headphone port. The speakers are covered with the case and should help keep lint and fuzz out of them, but holes on the bottom do not hinder the speakers.

I am very happy with my purchase of this case and would recommend it to anyone else who is looking for a case for the iPhone 5.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon October 1, 2012
Color Name: Pebble Grey/Raspberry PinkProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
This Speck Candy Shell case is pretty, nice to hold and doesn't make the phone bulky. I bought the Grey/Rasberry combo (front part is lined in pink) and it looks beautiful with the White iPhone. The top part of this case if flexible so it was easy to put on and fits perfect. The power and the volume buttons are covered and the slots are very easy to access. You don't have to remove your case at all and just as well because it is a bit harder to get this off than on. It is expensive at $35 considering that this won't protect your phone from a major fall like the otter box but the quality is apparent when you hold this. I would highly recommend this case especially if you want to enjoy the beauty of the iPhone with some added protection. Love it!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 21, 2012
Color Name: Harbor Blue/Coral PinkProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
This review is for the COUNTERFEIT Speck case I received.

I first purchased this Speck case [CandyShell Glossy Case for iPhone 5 - Retail Packaging - Harbor Blue/Coral Pink] from a seller named Hughes_Studio, but the case never came due to shipping error. so I called Amazon and they were nice enough to issue me credit and free one-day shipping for my replacement order. The replacement order was purchased from Amazon directly. It arrived the very next day and I loved the case, fits my Iphone 5 perfectly.

2 days later the first order arrived as well. It is clearly a FAKE Speck case. Though the packaging looks identical,it is cheaply made, colors are off and has an unpleasant plastic smell. You can see that the rubber edges are rough not clean cut, and the bottom of the case is just one blank space, doesnt even have separate cuts for earphone and speakers. I only knew this was a fake one because I already have the real one to compare with, if this case arrived on time, I wouldn't even know I got a fake one. I posted photos with the real and the fake side by side so you can see the difference.

Be aware and purchase from Amazon directLy.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 16, 2014
Color Name: White/Peacock BlueProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
First, I can't speak to the possible counterfeit claims noted in other reviews as I bought my Speck case straight from the Apple store. However, if it is the real deal, this case is AMAZING!

I'm a klutz and have dropped my phone nearly a hundred times, with absolutely no damage - the case allows the phone to bounce right off the floor and land safely. Great right? But the real test came a week or so ago when I inadvertently left my phone on top of my car and took off driving. Miraculously, the phone stayed up there till we had gone several blocks and reached about 30 mph. When I took a turn, the phone when flying off the top of my car and landed on pavement.

Of course I was merging on to a highway at the time and it took some time to get back to the spot where the phone fell off the car. The whole way back I was praying I could find at least a scrap of what the phone once was, knowing I could take it back to Apple and get a replacement as long as I had part of the phone. When I finally got back to the phone I was amazed to find it lying on the side of the road, completely unscathed. No scratches, no cracks, working perfectly as if nothing had ever happened. Now, the case itself suffered a crack in one corner. But who cares! Better that than replacing a whole phone. The Speck case did it's job and I couldn't be happier :-).
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 11, 2013
i bought this case to replace my White speck candyshell case, because in my line of work white gets too dirty too quick. I ordered what i thought was an original speck product, but when i recieved it today i could instantly tell it was a fake the holes for charging cable and headphone jack are cut out as opposed to being molded like my original as well as many other things which i have pictured for everyone to see above. The kicker was that i found out all speck cases have serial numbers and to look for that.....nope not even a fake serial number. Shame on amazon for letting a seller ship out a fake product to customers who pay for the safety and security of PRIME.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 11, 2013
Color Name: White/Charcoal GreyProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
The rubber around the case started to peeled off after a month. I called speck company. They ask me to send in the case for them to inspect it. If it's manufacture defect then they'll send me a new one. Tooo much of a hassle for a phone case. I have to paid for shipping. I think it's not worth it. just not by Speck again.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 6, 2012
the rubber around the case comes off in chunks, so if you plan on keeoing your phone in your pocket it will come off
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 2, 2013
I bought this case for my new iPhone 5S because I know that Speck makes a great Candyshell. I purchased a candyshell case in the past for my iPhone 5 and it was truly a great case. I dropped that iPhone several times on concrete and the candyshell case really did a great job in protecting my iPhone. I expect nothing less for this case. The black/slate grey case that I got looks beautiful and fits nice and tight on my new iPhone 5S. The quality of this case is quite noticeable upon handling it and it feels good in the hand. The glossy back will scratch over time but it will never compromise the safety of the iPhone inside. If your looking for a case with almost no bulk and great protection, the candyshell case is what your looking for.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations