Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on October 4, 2012
I have owned every iphone since the 3G, and have used dozens of cases.
I've always been using "safer" cases, since I'm a klutz, and I regularly drop my phone.
Anyway, this is the best case I have seen or used yet.

First, functionality. The case is a perfect blend of a soft inner shell, and hard plastic molded on top of that. This is a great combo, which really offers protection from everything except water. My wife had used a Speck CandyShell on her iPhone4, while I used an Otterbox Defender on my iPhone4S (I was really scared of the glass back). Well, 1.5 years and many drops later, both phones survived in the same condition. I was nicely surprised, since my wife had quite a few nasty drops. Also worth noting is that on Otterbox cases, the soft and hard shells are not molded together. Not only is that bulkier, the soft shell stretches over time and doesn't fit well. I also prefer a hard outer shell, because soft ones are hard to put in your pocket. Just what I wanted.

Second, size. This case leaves the iPhone 5 nice and slim, and still fairly light. It appears that Speck used better materials for these new Candyshell versions, and because of this was actually able to slim down the case itself as well. Even the lip protruding from the front edge of the device has been lowered, while not effecting its ability to keep the phone above a table surface when face-down.

Third, finish quality. I have to praise Speck's design team for the attention to details.
-The new case materials look and feel great. The new inner-shell "rubber" is harder, and look like will surely last a while.
-The camera cutout looks to be a perfect size.
-The lip protruding from the front edge of the device has not only been lowered in comparison to the old Candyshell. -Its now also about 1mm lower directly near the sides of the screen. Yes, 1mm lower lips on the sides of the iPhone, than the top and bottom lips. The result is much more comfortable to use the iPhone in landscape mode. It barely raises your thumbs above the screen, while providing a perfect height to rest your fingers.
-The buttons are all perfectly cut and protected with rubber (except home button).
-The cut outs look just right. The speaker/mic grill does not look like a perfect fit, but it also doesn't sit flat on the iPhone5's grill. Testing revealed no sound problems with the mic or speaker.

Fourth, a bonus feature is surprisingly BETTER sound from the iPhone5's speaker. I am a bit of an audio enthusiast, and have even made some music with Cubase/Ableton. Without a doubt, the case improves the mid-range (and a bit of bass), and balances it with the high treble on the iPhone5's naked speaker. I believe that this is due to the extra space between the phone's speaker grill and the case's grill, which gives room for the sound to amplify and breathe better. Hard to tell if this was designed for this intentionally, but a closer look shows that this "space" was intentionally cut into the inside of the case.

I gave this case 4 stars because of a few small issues. The hard plastic will scratch over time, but its not as bad as some hipsters make it. Any plastic android scratches just as bad. Also, this case is a bit slippery to the touch, especially if your hands are moist. Also, it is a bit expensive, though still an investment that makes sense to save your phone.

Please note, large headphone plugs will NOT fit with this case on. I have had no problems with what I tried: the apple earpods, JVC Marshmallows, and even a pair of cheap headphones with the old "L" shaped plug. A stero extension cable I have, with plugs about as big as Radio Shacks', did not fit. Honestly, the iPhone5 is so thin, I am not sure how this can be solved with any case. Whether or not this is a problem, is for you to decide.

I would recommend it to anyone needing a good iPhone case, if not a bit tough too. I feel very safe with this case on because of its protection. Speck designed a winner, with great attention to detail. For a device I use so much every day, this is very important.

FOR BETTER GRIP:
I recommend the Candyshell Grip:
The rubber "grips" are superb. The previous Speck Candyshell Grips (for iphone 4/4S) had a horrible grip pad that was glued on, and was deep enough to get much lint stuck in there all the time. Lotsa bad reviews on Amazon. On this updated model, the grips are now thin strips that each sit in precise recess in the plastic shell. They are also shallow enough to provide excellent grip and not attract too much lint.
77 comments| 280 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2012
I purchased this case directly from Speck Products the day the iPhone 5 was released and it arrived 3 days later. I got the case in Pebble (Grey)/Peacock (Blue) and it looks great.

The case does not add too much bulk to the phone, but with the hard outside shell coupled with the soft inside shell to absorb shock it provides the necessary protection. The case also does not take up unnecessary space on the screen. It will provide some protection for a fall on the face, but almost all 4 inches of the screen is available for use.

The wake/sleep button and the volume bottons are covered and easy to use. I use Monster headphones which has a big jack and it easily works with the headphone port. The speakers are covered with the case and should help keep lint and fuzz out of them, but holes on the bottom do not hinder the speakers.

I am very happy with my purchase of this case and would recommend it to anyone else who is looking for a case for the iPhone 5.
33 comments| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2014
First, I can't speak to the possible counterfeit claims noted in other reviews as I bought my Speck case straight from the Apple store. However, if it is the real deal, this case is AMAZING!

I'm a klutz and have dropped my phone nearly a hundred times, with absolutely no damage - the case allows the phone to bounce right off the floor and land safely. Great right? But the real test came a week or so ago when I inadvertently left my phone on top of my car and took off driving. Miraculously, the phone stayed up there till we had gone several blocks and reached about 30 mph. When I took a turn, the phone when flying off the top of my car and landed on pavement.

Of course I was merging on to a highway at the time and it took some time to get back to the spot where the phone fell off the car. The whole way back I was praying I could find at least a scrap of what the phone once was, knowing I could take it back to Apple and get a replacement as long as I had part of the phone. When I finally got back to the phone I was amazed to find it lying on the side of the road, completely unscathed. No scratches, no cracks, working perfectly as if nothing had ever happened. Now, the case itself suffered a crack in one corner. But who cares! Better that than replacing a whole phone. The Speck case did it's job and I couldn't be happier :-).
on December 4, 2012
After using over 10 cases for my iPod, iPhone 4, and now the iPhone 5, I can say this is one of the best on the market. It's a huge improvement over the last generation of Candyshells, as it's slightly thinner, and doesn't have the droopy bottom problem on the iPod touch version. It's extremely solid, and the soft rubber part is much less rubbery than previously, and easier to slip in and out of a pocket. The port openings are fairly large, especially compared to other cases. I've heard of problems with the rubber disintegrating, but mine seems good so far - I will update if anything changes. Yes the back is very susceptible to scratching, but any shiny, glossy case will scratch, and that's what the case is there for!
on November 16, 2013
I had another Speck case before this one, and this one was not that much better than the one I had before this. This case lasted me a few months, but eventually the rubber around the edges started to disintegrate and it just started to not look that great. That's probably all because I normally just keep my phone in my pocket, and all the taking it out of my pocket and putting it back in over and over again took it's toll.
on March 11, 2013
The rubber around the case started to peeled off after a month. I called speck company. They ask me to send in the case for them to inspect it. If it's manufacture defect then they'll send me a new one. Tooo much of a hassle for a phone case. I have to paid for shipping. I think it's not worth it. just not by Speck again.
on January 20, 2014
I liked this because my phone could still slip in my pocket yet had a protective case to prevent scratches when I set it down. Unfortunately, it lasted about 4-6 months and the rubber corners started separating from the slick white plastic body. I didn't buy again, if that's what you're wondering. But it might be for you.
on July 1, 2016
I have had this case for approximately 2 months and the rubber edging on the front of the case is already starting to peel off. The plastic portion of the case is pushing through on the bottom, near the iPhone button. I carry my phone in my pocket and imagine this wear and tear is just from repeated use, but I expect a well-made case to hold up better than this.
on May 27, 2014
I had Speck Candyshells for my previous iPhones and loved them, but they didn't sell them where I got my iPhone 5, so I tried another brand for a while. The other one worked fine to protect my phone (thankfully), but the color began wearing away around the edges before long, and generally looked dirty and old, so I replaced it with this Candyshell. Why I didn't just wait and get this from the beginning, I don't know! I will never have a different case again, you just can't argue with how great these are. I've dropped it from 5 feet high in the air and the phone and case are as good as new, and months later it still looks like I just bought it yesterday. There's no reason to try any other iPhone protector/case if you're looking for durability and protection for your phone. 5-stars.
on November 21, 2013
it snugs fits the phone and protect it very well. but that's a given with Speck branded cases! Especiall the Candyshell line of cases! I highly recommend it!