1,752
Color Name: Black GreyProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$29.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 4, 2012
Color Name: Black GreyProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I have owned every iphone since the 3G, and have used dozens of cases.
I've always been using "safer" cases, since I'm a klutz, and I regularly drop my phone.
Anyway, this is the best case I have seen or used yet.

First, functionality. The case is a perfect blend of a soft inner shell, and hard plastic molded on top of that. This is a great combo, which really offers protection from everything except water. My wife had used a Speck CandyShell on her iPhone4, while I used an Otterbox Defender on my iPhone4S (I was really scared of the glass back). Well, 1.5 years and many drops later, both phones survived in the same condition. I was nicely surprised, since my wife had quite a few nasty drops. Also worth noting is that on Otterbox cases, the soft and hard shells are not molded together. Not only is that bulkier, the soft shell stretches over time and doesn't fit well. I also prefer a hard outer shell, because soft ones are hard to put in your pocket. The grips on this Candyshell case did not make it harder to put in my pocket than your average hard case. Just what I wanted.

Second, the rubber "grips" are superb. The previous Speck Candyshell Grips (for iphone 4/4S) had a horrible grip pad that was glued on, and was deep enough to get much lint stuck in there all the time. Lotsa bad reviews on Amazon. On this updated model, the grips are glued on, but they each sit in their own precisely cut recess in the hard plastic. Great Design. They are also shallow enough to provide excellent grip and not attract too much lint. Also, the rubber grips keep the case elevated, so far PREVENTING SCRATCHES to the external hard plastic shell, a common complaint about the regular Candyshell (NON-Grip)Case.

Third, size. This case leaves the iPhone 5 nice and slim, and still fairly light. It appears that Speck used better materials for these new Candyshell versions, and because of this was actually able to slim down the case itself as well. Even the lip protruding from the front edge of the device has been lowered, while not effecting its ability to keep the phone above a table surface when face-down.

Fourth, finish quality. I have to praise Speck's design team for the attention to details.
-The new case materials look and feel great. The new inner-shell "rubber" is harder, and look like will surely last a while.
-The camera cutout looks to be a perfect size.
-The lip protruding from the front edge of the device has not only been lowered in comparison to the old Candyshell. -Its now also about 1mm lower directly near the sides of the screen. Yes, 1mm lower lips on the sides of the iPhone, than the top and bottom lips. The result is much more comfortable to use the iPhone in landscape mode. It barely raises your thumbs above the screen, while providing a perfect height to rest your fingers.
-The buttons are all perfectly cut and protected with rubber (except home button).
-The cut outs look just right. The speaker/mic grill does not look like a perfect fit, but it also doesn't sit flat on the iPhone5's grill. Testing revealed no sound problems with the mic or speaker.

Fifth, a bonus feature is surprisingly BETTER sound from the iPhone5's speaker. I am a bit of an audio enthusiast, and have even made some music with Cubase/Ableton. Without a doubt, the case improves the mid-range (and a bit of bass), and balances it with the high treble on the iPhone5's naked speaker. I believe that this is due to the extra space between the phone's speaker grill and the case's grill, which gives room for the sound to amplify and breathe better. Hard to tell if this was designed for this intentionally, but a closer look shows that this "space" was intentionally cut into the inside of the case.

Please note, large headphone plugs will NOT fit with this case on. I have had no problems with what I tried: the apple earpods, JVC Marshmallows, and even a pair of cheap headphones with the old "L" shaped plug. A stero extension cable I have, with plugs about as big as Radio Shacks', did not fit. Honestly, the iPhone5 is so thin, I am not sure how this can be solved with any case. Whether or not this is a problem, is for you to decide.

I am happy I pre-ordered 2 of these (for me and my wife), and I would recommend it to anyone needing a good iPhone case, if not a bit tough too. I feel very safe with this case on because of its protection and excellent grip. Speck designed a winner, with great attention to detail. For a device I use so much every day, this is very important.

-------------------------------------------
UPDATE

One of the smaller grip strips that I frequently pull when removing the phone from my pocket had begun coming loose. I didn't have time to glue it, and eventually it ripped off. I hardly notice it functionally or aesthetically, but it remains to be seen if this continues.

From what I can see, it wouldn't be so bad. The recess strips in the plastic would simply be the new grips, though not rubbery.
But now I know that they grips are not attached to the inner rubber lining.
I will keep the rating at 5 stars unless this trend accelerates, as I still love the case.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 4, 2012
Color Name: White BlackProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I bought this case from Speck (white/black) and it pretty much addresses every design flaw that has been associated with the Candyshells for other iPhones. The grips seem to be well made this time, not lint traps. The case fits perfectly and has a nice slim profile. The rubber covering the buttons give good tactile feedback and the buttons are easy to push. One big upgrade is at the bottom of the case where the lightning connector is located. The small strip of case rubber/plastic that bridges around the connector port is much smaller than before which means a much less chance of breaking off like on practically all other Candyshells of the past.

Great case and the white/black looks slick on a black iPhone5.

UPDATE (5 months in):

The case has held up well. The strip of plastic around the lightnight port is showing no signs of coming apart. The only wear&tear sign is on the rubber grip strips that are on the rounded edge of the phone where they rub against my pocket when taking my phone out. I expected this to happen and it is pretty minor. Unless I have my phone about 8" from my face I can't even tell the rubber strips are worn down a little.

UPDATE 2:

My case is starting to fall apart so I'm taking some stars away. The rubber edge around face of the case is peeling off in some areas, the rubber grips on the curved parts are loose from being taken in and out of my pocket, and there are cracks on the speaker cover. Great case while it is new but does now hold up to wear and tear.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 10, 2012
Color Name: White BlackProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I consistently buy either speck or otterbox. This case feels really good in the hand, it adds minimal bulk to the phone and the grips make it nice to hold. I would still get some type of screen protector since the case does leave the screen exposed.
review image review image
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 14, 2012
Color Name: White BlueProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I have owned a LOT of iPhone cases over the years. This is my 6th case fro the iPhone 5 and I finally found the ONE.

It fits the phone perfectly, provides screen protection without getting in the way of touching the screen.

My FAVORITE aspect of this case is the ROUNDED corners of the back. I have not liked the sharp edges of the back of the iPhone since the 4, this case softens this edge very nicely without adding too much size.

The "grippy" lines on the back are my only 1/100th of a negative. They feel fine in your hand, but can be just a bit too grippy into and out of a pocket.

Other than that this case is amazing. By far the best iPhone 5 case out there.

BTW: I also have the CandyShell without the grips, but I don't think it will ever get on the phone.
on December 7, 2012
Color Name: White BlackProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
After purchasing a new iPhone 5, I wanted to ensure it was adequately protected. The way I use my phone was a key concern for the type of case I needed. I am an early 30's, professional male who works in law, real estate, and construction. I am frequently away from my desk, and am constantly receiving emails and phone calls. A regular day involves me removing and replacing my phone from my front pants pocket A LOT. As a result, the thickness of the case was a primary factor.

I initially considered purchasing a heavy duty case like an Otterbox. However, after researching specifications, I concluded that a heavy duty case would be too thick for my needs. The thickness of an iPhone 5 is 7.6mm. Within the Otterbox line, the Defender is 16.18mm thick, the Commuter is 14.1mm thick, and the Prefix is 14.4mm thick. While these cases have a reputation of being the toughest on the market, I did not want to deal with the discomfort (and potential awkwardness) of a constant rectangular bulge in my pants.

Although prone to clumsiness, I do not regularly handle my phone in a way that requires extreme protection. I need to guard my phone from occasional falls off of my desk on to a hardwood floor, or out of my pocket from a seated position.

The CandyShell Grip is a well-constructed case that will provide me with the protection I need. It's made out of a combination of hard and soft plastic that feels strong. The case fits snug and has a raised edge on the front to provide moderate protection to the already durable Gorilla Glass 2. I like that the backside creates a buffer between surfaces and the camera bezel, which should keep my camera lens unscratched throughout the life of this phone. I appreciate that this case allows me to retain the benefits of a thin phone while adding decent protection. I was unable to find official specs on the thickness of the case, but it appears to be about 9.6mm. The case has a good balance between grip and smoothness; it's easy to take out of my front pocket, but won't fall out by itself while I'm seated in my car. The speakers and the microphone are covered (protecting from dust), but it does not affect sound quality. The headphone port opening is large enough to accommodate my earphones. Visually the phone and case look great together.

For a day-to-day case, I am very pleased. The CandyShell Grip case for the iPhone 5 is well-built, affordable, good-looking, and compliments the slender design that makes the iPhone so enjoyable to use. I give it a 5/5.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 19, 2012
Color Name: White BlackProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I looked all over for a case for my iphone 5. I wanted something sleek that would let the beauty of the phone shine through. I also love the grips, I tend to drop my stuff a lot so hopefully this will help. Good construction and looks like it will wear well. Very happy with my purchase!

Edit-my toddler just threw my phone across the room and it doesn't have a scratch!
on October 13, 2012
Color Name: White BlackProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I was looking for a smart looking case to keep my new iPhone 5 in perfect condition and this case fits the bill. After a quick snap to install the phone, this case provides a secure grip on the phone so it is less likely you will drop your phone. All of the cutouts are positioned correctly and the volume/on off button covers do not restrict there operation. This cover does not provide protection for the front glass other that the raised bumper, so you may want to purchase a film protector. The size of the cover will not prevent carrying the phone in your front pants pocket. I am very pleased with my purchase.
on October 19, 2012
Color Name: Black GreyProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I like the look and especially the tactile, non-skid feel of the case, and the $24 Amazon price was far better than those elsewhere. But I just discovered a fault: Although the Lightning connector works fine through it, that is not the case with the Lightning to 30-pin adapters. In order for the connection to lock, I must undo the bottom of the case. Perhaps the designers can come up with a 2.0 version of the case that would solve that problem.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 28, 2012
Color Name: White BlackProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I had an speck candyshell for my iphone 3gs and was very happy with it. I liked the concept and look of this case and it had largely positive reviews. It fits the phone very well and it feels solid. However, I've only had the case for a week and some of the rubber grip ribs are already wearing/peeling away. It appears as if the rubber ribs are connected to the rubber on the inside of the case, which was a wise choice, however the quality of the rubber just doesn't seem to be up to par, I've probably put it in and out of my pocket maybe 30 times, and to me the case should still look brand new... it doesn't. Also, the vibrate toggle on the side of the phone isn't particularly easy to flip.
on February 26, 2013
Color Name: Black GreyProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
This product is terrible. First, the little rubber strips that help with grip have been slowly getting rubbed off. Within 3 months the grip material was rubbed off on 75% of the corners. Second, the plastic shell of the case broke/decintigrated in two areas where the plastic was very thin. The first area was at the lightening connector. Just below where the home button is, there is a very thin strip of plastic that is covered with the rubberized material. The plastic broken within two months, and now every time I pull it out of my pocket and hit the home button the sharp plastic pokes at me. The same thing happened just above the mute button.

All in all, I feel like I wasted my money on this case. It is not worth my time or money to go to a post office and pay the return shipping in an attempt to get a warranty claim. I bought a different and cheaper case made by Khomo instead, and so far it has held up and looks like it will continue to hold up much better than this piece of junk.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations