Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on June 25, 2010
Originally, I had purchased the red version of this case, which had bad build quality problems. I went to my local Target (which stocks these), and determined that while many of the red cases exhibited similar problems, the black ones did not ... so I'd say it's safe to buy the black ones. Here's why this case is great:

1) The stand built into the cover is clever and super handy. When you're not using it, built-in velcro holds it securely in place, so that it doesn't get in the way. The kindle is very stable when using the stand - no worries of it tipping over ... allows you to sit & read while you eat.

2) The padding is thick and provides excellent protection to the Kindle. I had a Belkin sleeve briefly, and in terms of protection, this case is way better.

3) The mounting system is great - it holds the Kindle very firmly in place with virtually no wobble. It does not use the mounting holes on the side, and so it does not present the risk of cracking your Kindle that many other cases do.

4) It gives the Kindle a very book-like feel. In particular, I like holding it with the cover folded around the back, as it makes the left-hand side thicker (and more comfortable for me - I have big hands ... although I don't think that small hands would be a problem either).

5) It's really a good-looking case ... I was very sad when I had to bring my red one back (it broke), but then I saw the black ones, and determined that they didn't have the same problem.

6) You can charge the Kindle while it's in the case ... although the hole in the bottom of the case doesn't line up perfectly, and puts some pressure on the USB plug when it's fully inserted.

All in all, I strongly recommend this case. I think that it's one of the best ones available.

EDIT: Also, a note to the Speck people: You have this in the wrong category. Searching for 'speck cover' in the Kindle store yields no results.
on January 20, 2010
I bought this case about a month after getting my K2 for Christmas. When I ordered the K2, I ordered the Belkin neoprene sleeve, but I wanted a way to keep the K2 protected while reading. This case is well padded, and I LOVE that I can use it book style, or stand it up while it's still in the case. I read at lunch, so this is really handy. The inside is nice and soft, and the K2 is very secure in it. I like the system they have to hold it in place, and the option of book style reading or standing it up. They've cleverly built a stand into the inside front cover.

I have a tendency to drop things, so I wanted a case that would protect the K2 at all times. And sure enough, shortly after getting the case, I dropped the K2 on an oak floor from about waist high (oops). Not a bit of damage!

I would recommend this case highly.
on March 26, 2011
This is my second Speck cover for my Kindle. The first was destroyed when I tripped going down stairs and it hit the cement sidewalk. By the time I was able to get up a dog had picked it up and was chewing on it. Though the cover was destroyed, the Kindle was protected and unharmed.
on May 31, 2011
I bought this to provide protection for the Kindle (two, actually, one for me and one for my grandson; at this price I could probably have bought half-a-dozen but, then I'd have needed to buy a few more Kindles to go with them).
It is definitely NOT leather (to be expected at this price level, still false advertising is false advertising).
The plastic holder for the Kindle is two part - the back plate attached to the dustjacket and a front plate which holds the Kindle in place. They are cemented together at three or four (small, about 3/4in x 1/8in) attachment points along each side. The glue appears to be some form of rubber cement - not a particularly good idea. Some reviewers have noted that this "breaks" - the glue is probably just failing. It can be easily repaired using a plastic epoxy (plastic weld) - although a little more attention to construction would have removed this problem (the design would be much improved by using a locking mechanism between the two plates instead of glue).
The latching mechanism for the Kindle is substantial at the bottom, somewhat flimsy at the top; I suspect that the ultimate failure will be the top latch breaking - so refrain from putting the Kindle in and taking it out on a regular basis, and be gentle when latching/unlatching the upper tab!
The design is open (like a book) it would have been a good idea to provide a clasp to keep it closed when not in use (like some of the old hefty leather bound books) - it would have improved the protection afforded in case of the Kindle being dropped.
The use of this case as a bookstand has marginal utility IMHO. The case does not like to be laid with the front and back covers laid flat against each other (think of a book; this kind of mistreatment results in a broken spine, and/or separation of the leaves from the covers - NOT a good idea). I suspect that continued usage in this fashion will result in serious damage to the case.
For my purposes (protection) it works well and you can't beat the price with a stick.
Caveat: this is for 2nd generation Kindle (not current, 3rd generation).
on September 1, 2011
I inherited my Kindle2 (K2) from a family member that recently acquired an iPad2. The case we had was a generic neoprene sleeve that provided good protection when the Kindle wasn't in use. I wanted to get a cover/case that would protect the K2 while reading, as I already had a few close calls where the K2 almost slipped from my hands. I didn't want to get a case that used the K2 mounting slats on the side, to avoid any possibility of cracking the case. I decided to go with the DustJacket from Speck after reading the reviews for the product and am quite happy to report that I was not disappointed at all!

The case is just the right size and makes the K2 feel like a small diary. The quality of the case is quite nice. It's not leather but looks similar to leather. It has very nice stitching around the case. The case is quite versatile, you can open it up or fold id back and hold the K2 while reading or use the "easel" and stand it up like a picture frame to read without holding the K2. The "easel" is held by velcro, so you can tuck it away when not in use. The inside of the case has a fleece-like surface, so your K2 won't get scratch. The mounting system is a hard-plastic back that has a lip at the bottom where your K2 sits and a top tab to hold it in place. I uploaded a photo of the case, so you can see. It feels much more securely that I expected. If you wanted to be extra secure, you should be able to fix a double-sided velcro tape on the mounting system, which should remove any doubts that it would slip off.

I've only had it for a day, so hopefully, the case will last but so far, I'm very pleased with this purchase, great product for an excellent value!
review image review image
on March 11, 2011
This case is great for protecting your Kindle and easy to use.

Pros:
Fits snug
Looks nice
Soft
Black (Target has Red)
Stitched well
Durable/Protects well
Front cover folds back to make it easy to hold in one hand
Semi-slim; not very thick for how well it protects
Can charge Kindle while in the case
Fits well in most purses
Great for everyday use

Cons:
Fuzzy inside attracts pet hair; pet hair is very difficult to remove from the fuzzy fabric thus gets onto the screen
Plastic piece scratched my Kindle; had to file down the edges to ensure no further scratches occured
Stand leans when used
Limited colors available
No snap or magnet to hold it shut; gap on the side that exposes Kindle
'Leather' indents easily if left pushed up against another object (such as a button on a wallet)
Not good for protecting against rain

Overall: Not a bad case unless you have pets. Great for everyday use. Looks great. Very durable, and soft. I have recommended this case to people who want a good stand and durable case.
We picked up this cover for my son when he got my Kindle 2 after switching to the Kindle 3. A cover is a real necessity for my teen son who carries it everywhere.

This good looking cover fits the second generation Kindle perfectly and allows full use of the navigation buttons and the charging port. The built in stand is a nice feature that works well, but my son doesn't use it much. I also like the protection this cover provides since my son is notoriously rough on electronics.

Highly Recommended!

CFH
on June 6, 2011
I think this case is great. For those of you who have a Kindle 2, if you haven't gotten a case yet, I highly recommend this one. Nice soft leather exterior, very well padded, and it makes your Kindle feel like a book. The ability to prop it open and read while you're doing something else is nice as well. I especially like the mounting system - being able to easily put it in the case and take it out with the plastic clip - since there are times when I like to take my kindle out (such as tucking it in the side of my briefcase.) Also, as the Kindle 2 is no longer the newest one out there, these cases are a GREAT deal right now. Highly recommended.
on January 11, 2012
This cover is exactly as advertised. I was using the original cover that came with my Kindle 2. It served its purpose, but the catch was no longer reliable. This dust jacket is padded which provides more protection when traveling. The fact that I can now eat a meal while my Kindle stands upright for easy reading is the best part. I had no idea how much I would enjoy that feature. I have recommended this to several of my friends who are happy with it as well.
on August 15, 2011
Have used this for about 2 months, and I have no complaints so far. The Kindle fits nice and snug, fits perfectly. It looks nice when the case is open or closed. Some people complained that the Kindle hung partly out of the case when it was closed, but I have NO idea what they're talking about. The Kindle is at least a half inch to an inch inside the case at all times, and you really can't tell that a Kindle is even in there when its closed. It also has a stand built into it.. I haven't used the stand much, but I did use it while flying last week and it worked great as well.

Would definitely recommend this to anyone with a Kindle 2.