5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect
Published on October 17, 2011 by noregrets

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Case but holds heat
I got this case based on multiple reviews and recommendations. It looks and feels great. It protects the laptop well.

Published on November 13, 2011 by Amanda L. Mcclure

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Case but holds heat, November 13, 2011
This review is from: Speck Products See Thru Satin Case for MacBook Pro 13-Inch Aluminum Unibody Only (SPK-A0448) (Personal Computers)

The only problem that I have is that it seems to hold the heat in the computer. If I start watching netflix, it warms up quickly and stays hot. Yes, I realize that graphics and processor intensive tasks will build up heat, but this was crazy. The fans would kick on and run near maximum. This would drain the battery pretty quickly. I could barely get a movie done on full charge and my battery has less than 100 cycles on it.

I pulled the case off for a few weeks to see if made a difference. I have my macbook pro back. No overheating. No fan noise. My battery performance has doubled.

The case protects like it is supposed to and it is very good looking, but the performance issues are not worth it for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, October 17, 2011
I purchased this one after seeing the same one and it lead me to this link saying it was a "newer" version. Doubt theres a difference but it was $5 cheaper so I went with it. I had read previous reviews for the other style that had mostly positive reviews except that one pesky "most helpful critical" review that leaves doubt in your mind. So after some thought I decided to just go with it. I tend to do intense research on things before I purchase them and I never ever write the reviews but I'm so happy with this case I had to put all of the doubts out of anyones mind. Nothing is perfect so there are a couple concerns I've had so far (note that I've only had it a couple days)

First off, I have pets and because the case is satiny the hair doesn't just breeze past it. I have to wipe it off every so often along with the other fuzzes that show up, maybe because I got the purple (which is the most beautiful rich deep purple I might add) so these things show up more than say a lighter color. The one thing about another review I read was that there was a bit of gapping between the case and actual computer and yes that is true but if you follow the directions of taking it off and wiping it out once a month I don't see that being a super issue. Other reviews also commented on the case making it heavier, I don't notice a huge difference and it doesn't impede the screen hinge at all, it's not falling up or down, it stays where I want it. And to address the scratching and markings of the case concerns, I plan on using this to supplement an actual sleeve, it's easier to replace a scratched case, not so easy to fix a scratched up MacBook.

Ultimately these minor details are a small price to pay for protection of such an expensive investment. I love it. End of story. Don't hesitate, its a good case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Color is not the same as pictures posted above!, October 31, 2011
cesar (LA, California) - See all my reviews
The pictures above of the case make it seem as if the case was a light smooth purple color but it is not. I knew this since I had seen the case in person on a friends macbook pro. The true color of the case is a really dark, dark purple. Even in direct sunlight it still looks like a dark purple. I love the color but just letting people know before they buy the case thinking its a soft light purple. Its a soft case on the outside but its sturdy plastic on the inside. The case can easily get scratched but thats what its for, right? to protect your macbook. Anyways, it looks cool and doesnt add weight or size to the mac. Still looks pretty compact. Im glad I purchased this case. My one and only negative would be that the box the case came in was kinda dusty and made the case look like it was old and used, even though it was new. It has vents on the bottom and the apple logo is still clearly visible through the case when the computer is on. The instructions say you need to remove the whole case once a month and clean it so the dirt that gets inside wont scratch up your mac. Thats pretty much it. Just be wary of the actual color. The same can be said for the other speck satin cases. The colors for the red, green and orange all look soft and light but theyre all darker.. Ive seen these colors in person as well. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best way to protect your MBP, 24x7x365, January 8, 2012
Ed (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Speck Products was founded in 2001 and have primarily focused on building cases and accessories for Apple products, though they've ventured out to include cases for some other smartphones, tablets and eReaders. The SeeThru Satin case is a form-fitting, two-piece case, like the kind you'd buy for an iPhone. Does it work as well on a lapotp, as it does on a phone?

PROS:

- Good protection against dings and scratches
- Easy to install
- Attractive appearance
- Satin coating is soft and easy to grip

CONS:

- May hinder the use of a laptop lock

Most case companies don't bother making form-fitting cases for laptops because PC laptops come in so many different shapes and sizes; it just wouldn't make sense. For those laptops, padded sleeves are the best solutions for protection outside of a laptop bag. MacBooks on the other hand, usually maintain their design and dimensions long enough for it to be worth making a snap-on case for them. That gives MacBook users an option that most PC users don't have--a permanent protective case around their laptop.

INSTALLATION
Installing the hardshell SeeThru Satin case couldn't be simpler. Just line up the top part to the MacBook Pro lid and snap it on, then repeat for the bottom.

Figuring out the best way to remove it is a little tricky at first, but gets easier after doing it a couple of times. Basically, you just push the tabs off the edges and gently pull away the covers. And you'll want to know how to remove it, because Speck recommends taking it off about once a month to clean out any debris and dust that may have built up inside the case.

USAGE
Using the the SeeThru Satin case is really a pleasure because it's like not having a case at all. It doesn't get in the way of using it on a day-to-day basis. All the ports are accessible, while your beautiful MacBook Pro is protected from dings and scratches. It doesn't add too much bulk, but with the case on, my MacBook Pro wouldn't fit inside a laptop sleeve that fit easily without the case.

It also has a vent on the bottom piece, allowing proper ventilation of your MacBook Pro. The rubber feet also keep your MBP gripped securely to your desk.

The only drawback to the SeeThru Satin case applies to people that use laptop locks. When I tried to insert my Kensington laptop lock onto the MacBook Pro, the lock pushed up against the top piece of the case and popped that portion of the case off of the MBP. It's still usable and some locks may not interfere with the case, but I didn't have any other locks to test with.

CONCLUSION
The Speck Products SeeThru Satin case is the perfect case for those who don't want to fumble with a sleeve and prefer a permanent protective solution. Design touches like the rubber, non-skid feet and ventilation, add to the appeal of the case. The finish is soft, easy to hold, and attractive. If you can't bear the thought of accidentally denting or scratching your MacBook Pro, the SeeThru Satin case is probably your best bet for 24x7x365 protection.

*Review unit provided by Speck Products

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!!, December 27, 2011
I have had this case since I first bought my computer (about 3 years). I am not one for writing reviews, but I just dropped my computer for the very fist time. This wasn't just any drop, either. This was the dreaded, oh my god, please let it be okay, that was a reallly bad fall, kind of drop.

Well, thanks to this wonderful case, my computer doesn't have one ding, crack, or scratch on it. And, yes, it still works without and problems.

I highly recommend this case!!! My boyfriend has a macbook without the unibody. He has dropped it twice without a case. I can tell you that his computer has been through some pretty sad stories.

I also had a friend with the incase hard shell. My personal preference is the speck version. It is soft to the touch and grips well. It is see through, so you are able to see the apple lit up. Last, I can attest for its wonderful durability. I am very thankful for this purchase. I bought for $50 at the time (now $30). It certainly is worth the $50 I paid for it, so it is a steal at $30!

4.0 out of 5 stars SO PRETTY, but Specks, November 2, 2011
I didn't really like the peacock color in the picture, but I brought it anyways because it was cheaper than the others at the time and I just wanted to protect my laptop and throw it into my bag and go without worrying about scratching my mac. I knew that the color might be different from the pictures since in reviews some of the other cases had differing colors from their pictures, but I just can't seem to find a picture that showed the real color. I wanted to go with satin since I heard that the clear case scratches more easily.

I got my case this morning, and I am pleased to say that I LOVE the color, which is more of a deeper greenish-blue than the actual pic. However, if I put my laptop + case directly under my lamp, it looks more like the color in the picture. So more light = more blue; less light = more greenish (but overall greenish-blue). Unlike the pictures, the case is also transparent, so you can see the apple logo through it even when the laptop is turned off. It has a very nice slightly rubbery feel, and the way the light hits the case makes the shadows and color sooooo pretty. I can bend the screen all the way back. Like other speck macbook pro models, there is a vent on the bottom (but the actual vent hole is a third of the lines that look like vent holes). The actual vent hole isn't very big but it's probably like that so that not much debris will get in. If you don't know, if debris gets between the case and laptop the debris will cause scratches on the mac over time, so remember to take off the case and wipe any debris off time to time!

The case fits pretty well on the mac. On the screen, there are five little tabs to hold the top part in place: two on both sides, and one in the middle. When you open your laptop the top part does not come off but sometimes the tab does come off (most of the time it does not); just push down the tab to keep the top part from gapping. If you try to push the edges of the case off it does not come off. If you press on the apple logo you can tell there is a slight gap, but the top part is pretty securely fastened on and there is a little bump in each corner to help secure the part on. On the bottom, there are four tabs: two on the sides near the front and two on the sides near the bottom. There are four holes with blue rubberized feet, where the mac's actual feet can fit in. There are holes for the ports and a button for the power button.

It's very easy to install; just clean the inside and the outside of the laptop and just snap the parts in. However, they didn't provide instructions on how to properly take it off, and the parts are on pretty tightly on the mac, but there are tutorials on youtube on how to take off the parts right. You can close the mac all the way. I think the case attracts dust and fingerprints, but overall it's still very pretty. When I first put it on I could tell a difference in weight. It is also bulkier, but that's the price for some protection for my mac. I will update my review after a few weeks of using this, but for now I recommend this product.

EDIT 4/20/12 - I took off one star because you have to clean the inside pretty enough to prevent dirt from scratching the inside. If there's ANY dirt inside, even if you clean it once a week, there's a chance that that little piece of dirt will make a 'speck' on your laptop. The cover makes my laptop overheat faster but if I put something under like a folded napkin to lift up the laptop a little it helps with the overheating. The tabs on the sides scare me sometimes when I take the cover on and off. Still a good product, but took one star off.

Edit 11/9/13:

The little plastic things that help fasten the case to the computer are starting to break apart. It may be because I take the case on and off to clean the inside. It still makes a few specks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, October 15, 2011
I love this case, I have it in aqua and my kids have it in orange. It stands up to the kids' abuse, it wipes clean easily, and unlike in some of the pictures, you CAN see the illuminated apple on your laptop through the case. I recommend it! You can protect and personalize your Mac a bit while still showing off that you have a Mac. ;o)

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks Great, Cracks Very Easily, January 20, 2012
I really wanted this case and Amazon had it for a good price. It looks beautiful and fits very well.

However, I have had the cover for only four months and it started showing cracks within the first couple of months. Last week, one of the clips that holds it on just broke completely off and today, I realized there are several cracks in several places. I am not rough on my computer. I don't take it out daily. It leaves my home once, possibly twice a month and is well cared for. It certainly has not been dropped. At any rate, it wasn't so cheap that the cracks are excusable. I was actually on the Amazon site looking for another cover and decided I should write a review. Because I would've appreciated someone telling me what I'm writing here. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Black 13.3" Spec Satin See-thru cover., March 30, 2012
First impression: It is amazing!

The cover feels so nice. It makes me just want to sit and hold my Macbook Pro while rubbing and say "My precious!" (New to Mac so I am currently obsessed with it.) I have tried other regular plastic covers but the quality of the mCover doesn't even come close. I know it is about $14 more expensive than the iPearl mCover's ($20) but so far I find it to be worth it. I have opened and closed the laptop to see if the 'lip' that goes over where the Mac is opened would cause issues (like others have reviewed negatively) but it hasn't moved at all. I think my favorite thing about the case (other than the texture) is how well it fits my Macbook, no wiggle room!

The only thing I am concerned about right now is heat issues. My last case caused my computer to run a few degrees hotter but the 'bare' feeling is just too risky in my environment. I am constantly going from class to class or class to work, so I need something to absorb the scratches. This is the first day of owning this wonderful case and I will respond back at a later date to keep you all updated!

P.S. The black case DOES still show the glowing Apple symbol through the case, I was worried that it wouldn't. I couldn't find a review that specifically said that the black one does do this. ALSO this case does come in a labeled SPECK box and does have the Speck imprint on the back of the top cover. Another review I had read stated that this comes in a clear package without any markings (making them think it was a knock off), which in my case is untrue.

3.0 out of 5 stars What's the difference from the previous model?, September 23, 2011
P. Chaves (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I had the previous version (MB13AUSAT-BLK-D) of this shell and loved it. When I looked the pictures of this presumably newer model (SPK-A0448) I liked it even better because on the CD/DVD drive side you will see that the shell protects the upper side of the drive. I thought, "Excellent!". But when the product arrived, to my dismay the newer version is identical to the previous one. Disappointed.

Rate and Discover Movies