5.0 out of 5 stars Great case
This is a great case. It looks good, fits perfectly, has cutouts in all the right places, has its own buttons that line up exactly with the power and volume buttons, adds a lip so the iPhone doesn't rest directly on its face when put face down and has a kickstand that works for both portrait and landscape modes.

Other cases with kickstands fall down when the...
Published 18 months ago by Daniel Howard

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Any defects inside the case will nick your phone
Published 13 months ago by Jo Chou

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case, October 12, 2012
Daniel Howard (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Speck Products SmartFlex View Case for iPhone 5 & 5S - Retail Packaging - Black/Black/Slate Grey (Wireless Phone Accessory)

Other cases with kickstands fall down when the iPhone or the table is bumped; the "rubber band" effect causes those kickstands to fold away when bumped. By design, the kickstand on this case stays out until you put it away. No amount of bumping will allow this kickstand to accidentally fold up.

The kickstand's weakness is that its viewing angle isn't adjustable. When I use the kickstand in portrait mode for Facetime, the iPhone is always angled at 75 degrees or so. This means that I have to sit close to and above the iPhone so people can see me in the camera. It also means that the view is a little awkward because the background behind me is pretty far up the wall which looks odd to the viewer. It'd be nicer if I could adjust it to a steeper angle, like 80 or 85 degrees or so. My workaround is to put an Post-It notepad under the kickstand or find something else to wedge behind it for a closer-to-90-degree angle. It's not a deal killer but it's a minor drawback.

It doesn't have a cutout for the Apple logo on the back of the iPhone; some people like having that.

The case is rubbery plastic. It was protect from scuffs and most drops. But it isn't a "candy shell".

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, November 3, 2012
DB from NC (SouthEast, US) - See all my reviews
My last case was a leather Case Mate that was pretty torn up after 3.5 years, but provided terrific protection most of that time. With my new iPhone 5, I needed a new one and preferred to have the built in kick-stand. The Speck offers a unique solution to this and overall consider this a decent buy.

PROS:

-Good design concept
-Doesn't add unwanted bulk (in fact, I wanted something that made the iPhone 5 fatter for easier grip)
-Good materials and decent grip

CONS:

-The bottom cross bar that goes underneath the Home button is weak a point as it is loose already. My expectation is that after being pulled out of my pocket 100-200 times, it will pull and begin to sag - becoming both unattractive and a liability.
-While the stand is novel in it's design, it seems very fragile. If it lasts a couple of years, it's genius.
-The stand is too vertical, standing at about 80 degrees in both portrait and landscape mode. This makes viewing close up difficult (as on an airplane)

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Any defects inside the case will nick your phone, February 21, 2013
Jo Chou (Santa Cruz, CA United States) - See all my reviews
The concept is great. Unfortunately, this is the best one out there for iPhone5 right now, and this is why I bought it. The image is deceptive. I thought that little indentation snaps out and you can adjust how far it goes. Actually, see that little tab on the bottom? That pulls out and snaps to one setting. So I usually have to put something under it if I don't want to slouch to the ~10-15 degree angle it's at. Also, the tab that pulls out feels like a toy. I'm surprised it's stayed not broken, considering how much I randomly play with it. I think the material feels flimsy, but is actually damn sturdy. You get used to it. And because the kickstand is INSIDE the case, it is rather bulky. All this is just a review, and I don't mind all this.

This is the part that I DID care about: When I took the case off, there was a tiny nick on the back of the phone. A shiny silver hole in the middle of my nice black phone. I looked at my case and noticed a tiny manufacture defect in the form of a tiny little bump of plastic. Are you kidding me?? Warning, please sand/shave off any extra bumps before using this.

PROS:
+ Best iPhone5 kickstand case available as of November 2012. I didn't have much choice, but I searched extensively for a better kickstand iphone5 case, and this was it.
+ The thickness actually makes it easy to hold
+ I've dropped my phone and banged it up several times and the phone itself still works great
+ The kickstand mechanism is actually pretty freaking genius and slick
+ The plastic is goddamn strong

CONS:
+ The plastic is goddamn strong - strong enough to nick my phone if there's any tiny manufacture defect. File those down!
+ The angle is set to a certain angle and not adjustable
+ If you like sleek cases, this isn't for you
+ The kickstand FEELS like a cheap kids toy plastic (but in actuality, it's been pretty durable)
+ The kickstand is actually INSIDE the case and not part of it...the picture is deceiving.
+ The bottom of the case is semi-flimsy

In summary, I'm getting another one as soon as a better kickstand iPhone5 case becomes available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, January 25, 2013
This is the best iphone case I've ever had and the stand is awesome! It is lightweight and doesn't add too much bulk to the phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars In Comparison, BEST Stand Case, February 5, 2013
I purchased this case along with the Moshi iGlaze Kameleon and the Incipio Dual Pro to determine if I could make a stand case work. Thanks to Speck, the answer is a resounding yes. The Moshi is basically a stand only offering no protection. The Incipio is a great product, equal in its feel, coverage, protection and quality, except for the fact that its stand is a standalone product which you'd have to carry separately. Not an option for me.

The SmartFlex is an excellent full coverage case. The case completely wraps the phone and allows you to set your phone face down without making contact with the surface. The speaker and headphone cutouts work well. The volume buttons are extremely crisp. As noted by other reviews, the top On/Off button does feel slightly softened or muted but I've had no issues with getting it to engage. This case is not bulky. Its bigger than the slim cases, but nowhere near the size of the Ballistic or Otterbox style hockey pucks for your pocket.

The stand is slick! It slides and clicks in-and-out of place with ease and can be used in either Landscape or Portrait positions. If you're looking for a full coverage case, that isn't too bulky and has a stand ideal for Facetime, Skype, Sonos, or any type of "active" control/app, then this is your case. There simply isn't another comparable product on the market that combines all of these features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent case, January 22, 2013
This case is slim, and does not increase the bulk of the iPhone 5 much.
The phone fits well in my holster with the case on, and feels good in my hand.
The stand works well, as described.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good case but portrait stand orientation is flawed, January 16, 2013
First off, this is a good case that is, in my opinion, solidly built. The stand mechanism is surprisingly sturdy especially considering that its first impression is that it would be pretty flimsy. Everything on the iphone 5 is well accessible with the case on, no issues connecting cables/headphones or pressing any of the buttons. The slightly raised bevel does well for protecting the phone when placed face down.

My only ding on this case is that the stand, in my opinion, was placed incorrectly. The stand works perfectly for landscape view. However, if you want to want to use the stand in the portrait orientation you cannot have headphones or the lightning cable plugged in. Most of the time this is not a huge deal because most of what you would watch is landscape, but for certain apps like Pandora (which for some reason dropped landscape support) it makes things a bit awkward.

I gave the overall case 4 stars but I would give the stand 5 stars in landscape and 1 star in portrait.

5.0 out of 5 stars All Pros, No Cons!!!, November 15, 2013
Shane Barnes (Santa Rosa, Ca) - See all my reviews
Over the years I've searched high and low for an iPhone case that fits well and isn't flimsy, a case that's simple, stylish and maintains the elegant form factor of the device without adding unnecessary bulk. A case that provides adequate protection from the inevitable fumbles. Though I was once a huge fan of Otterbox products, their line of iPhone 5 cases are either too bulky or don't fit well and after reaching the point where I was about to give up, along came this case. It's offers all of the aforementioned pros, without any of the implied cons.

5.0 out of 5 stars tough and functional, November 8, 2013
Mack (Redmond, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I have this case for my iPhone 5. I rarely drop my phone but it happens... November 2013 I pulled my phone out of my pocket, my hand snags my jacket, and the phone goes sailing out and lands on asphalt. There are no marks on the case so I can't even tell where it hit.

The on/off and volume buttons work fine. I bought this case for the stand and have used it with FaceTime. I saw some reviewers complain that the angle wasn't adjustable - just move the phone and it's not a concern.

My big concern was the durability of the stand. It pulls out and then bends. I thought it would wear out over time but it hasn't. I've had the case for 1 year and it still looks and works great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bulky, October 7, 2013
GREAT protection (have practically thrown this phone multiple times on accident and you'd never know it), but a bit bulky. If you use the stand part quite a bit, you'll be pleased. If you think you'll only use that once in a while, probably only put this case on when you'll use it for the stand. I found it pretty easy to take off and put on. Overall, great case, just bulky.

ARRAY(0x952bb24c)