5.0 out of 5 stars Great case
This is a great case. It looks good, fits perfectly, has cutouts in all the right places, has its own buttons that line up exactly with the power and volume buttons, adds a lip so the iPhone doesn't rest directly on its face when put face down and has a kickstand that works for both portrait and landscape modes.

Other cases with kickstands fall down when the...
Published on October 12, 2012 by Daniel Howard

This case has a nice kickstand.

And It adds a little protection from scuffs and drops.

But its sides are too slippery. I helped that situation some by spraying epoxy grit on the sides. That helps a lot, and the grit doesn't seem to be rubbing off-- but only time will tell how well the spray on grit will stay on.

Also, when you are...
Published 13 months ago by Micah

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case, October 12, 2012
Daniel Howard (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Speck Products SmartFlex View Case for iPhone 5 & 5S - Retail Packaging - Black/Black/Slate Grey (Wireless Phone Accessory)

Other cases with kickstands fall down when the iPhone or the table is bumped; the "rubber band" effect causes those kickstands to fold away when bumped. By design, the kickstand on this case stays out until you put it away. No amount of bumping will allow this kickstand to accidentally fold up.

The kickstand's weakness is that its viewing angle isn't adjustable. When I use the kickstand in portrait mode for Facetime, the iPhone is always angled at 75 degrees or so. This means that I have to sit close to and above the iPhone so people can see me in the camera. It also means that the view is a little awkward because the background behind me is pretty far up the wall which looks odd to the viewer. It'd be nicer if I could adjust it to a steeper angle, like 80 or 85 degrees or so. My workaround is to put an Post-It notepad under the kickstand or find something else to wedge behind it for a closer-to-90-degree angle. It's not a deal killer but it's a minor drawback.

It doesn't have a cutout for the Apple logo on the back of the iPhone; some people like having that.

The case is rubbery plastic. It was protect from scuffs and most drops. But it isn't a "candy shell".

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, November 3, 2012
DB from NC (SouthEast, US) - See all my reviews
My last case was a leather Case Mate that was pretty torn up after 3.5 years, but provided terrific protection most of that time. With my new iPhone 5, I needed a new one and preferred to have the built in kick-stand. The Speck offers a unique solution to this and overall consider this a decent buy.

PROS:

-Good design concept
-Doesn't add unwanted bulk (in fact, I wanted something that made the iPhone 5 fatter for easier grip)
-Good materials and decent grip

CONS:

-The bottom cross bar that goes underneath the Home button is weak a point as it is loose already. My expectation is that after being pulled out of my pocket 100-200 times, it will pull and begin to sag - becoming both unattractive and a liability.
-While the stand is novel in it's design, it seems very fragile. If it lasts a couple of years, it's genius.
-The stand is too vertical, standing at about 80 degrees in both portrait and landscape mode. This makes viewing close up difficult (as on an airplane)

2.0 out of 5 stars Slippery and a little uncomfortable, but has a nice kickstand, September 25, 2013
This case has a nice kickstand.

And It adds a little protection from scuffs and drops.

Also, when you are holding the phone to your ear, you will likely notice a "sharp" edge surround the back of the phone. This is because the back of this case is made with hard plastic that sticks out farther than the soft sides. Speck put a bezel on the back plastic piece, but it is an angle instead of a rounded edge, and since it is wider than the sides, you can easily feel that edge. A lot of people might not notice or care, but I bet they would prefer one with a softer not "sharp" back edge. I will likely take some sand paper and see if I can smooth out the edge some.

This is my first case with a kickstand, and I really wanted a kickstand. Maybe all cases with kickstands have these or other problems. And maybe this is the best kickstand case out there. And if it is, then maybe this deservers more stars, but it seems like Speck could have made a few small design changes to fix the slipper sides and the "sharp" back edge issues-- and if they took the time to do that, then I would have been happy to give this 5 stars regardless of what other kickstand phones are out there.

UPDATE: Most of the spray grit wore off in a week. But the texture that is left seems like it will stay and that it is more than it had out of box. I took a knife and carved off a bit of the back edge. On closer inspection, I think the "sharp" edge was a bead of leftover product when they melted/joined the sides together with the back. It is much more comfortable to hold now, but it is not nearly as nice as other cases. But then again, this case has a kickstand. With my modifications, I am happy with this case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, January 25, 2013
This is the best iphone case I've ever had and the stand is awesome! It is lightweight and doesn't add too much bulk to the phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good case but portrait stand orientation is flawed, January 16, 2013
First off, this is a good case that is, in my opinion, solidly built. The stand mechanism is surprisingly sturdy especially considering that its first impression is that it would be pretty flimsy. Everything on the iphone 5 is well accessible with the case on, no issues connecting cables/headphones or pressing any of the buttons. The slightly raised bevel does well for protecting the phone when placed face down.

My only ding on this case is that the stand, in my opinion, was placed incorrectly. The stand works perfectly for landscape view. However, if you want to want to use the stand in the portrait orientation you cannot have headphones or the lightning cable plugged in. Most of the time this is not a huge deal because most of what you would watch is landscape, but for certain apps like Pandora (which for some reason dropped landscape support) it makes things a bit awkward.

I gave the overall case 4 stars but I would give the stand 5 stars in landscape and 1 star in portrait.

5.0 out of 5 stars In Comparison, BEST Stand Case, February 5, 2013
I purchased this case along with the Moshi iGlaze Kameleon and the Incipio Dual Pro to determine if I could make a stand case work. Thanks to Speck, the answer is a resounding yes. The Moshi is basically a stand only offering no protection. The Incipio is a great product, equal in its feel, coverage, protection and quality, except for the fact that its stand is a standalone product which you'd have to carry separately. Not an option for me.

The SmartFlex is an excellent full coverage case. The case completely wraps the phone and allows you to set your phone face down without making contact with the surface. The speaker and headphone cutouts work well. The volume buttons are extremely crisp. As noted by other reviews, the top On/Off button does feel slightly softened or muted but I've had no issues with getting it to engage. This case is not bulky. Its bigger than the slim cases, but nowhere near the size of the Ballistic or Otterbox style hockey pucks for your pocket.

The stand is slick! It slides and clicks in-and-out of place with ease and can be used in either Landscape or Portrait positions. If you're looking for a full coverage case, that isn't too bulky and has a stand ideal for Facetime, Skype, Sonos, or any type of "active" control/app, then this is your case. There simply isn't another comparable product on the market that combines all of these features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent case, January 22, 2013
This case is slim, and does not increase the bulk of the iPhone 5 much.
The phone fits well in my holster with the case on, and feels good in my hand.
The stand works well, as described.

5.0 out of 5 stars All Pros, No Cons!!!, November 15, 2013
Shane Barnes (Santa Rosa, Ca) - See all my reviews
Over the years I've searched high and low for an iPhone case that fits well and isn't flimsy, a case that's simple, stylish and maintains the elegant form factor of the device without adding unnecessary bulk. A case that provides adequate protection from the inevitable fumbles. Though I was once a huge fan of Otterbox products, their line of iPhone 5 cases are either too bulky or don't fit well and after reaching the point where I was about to give up, along came this case. It's offers all of the aforementioned pros, without any of the implied cons.

5.0 out of 5 stars tough and functional, November 8, 2013
Mack (Redmond, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I have this case for my iPhone 5. I rarely drop my phone but it happens... November 2013 I pulled my phone out of my pocket, my hand snags my jacket, and the phone goes sailing out and lands on asphalt. There are no marks on the case so I can't even tell where it hit.

The on/off and volume buttons work fine. I bought this case for the stand and have used it with FaceTime. I saw some reviewers complain that the angle wasn't adjustable - just move the phone and it's not a concern.

My big concern was the durability of the stand. It pulls out and then bends. I thought it would wear out over time but it hasn't. I've had the case for 1 year and it still looks and works great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bulky, October 7, 2013
GREAT protection (have practically thrown this phone multiple times on accident and you'd never know it), but a bit bulky. If you use the stand part quite a bit, you'll be pleased. If you think you'll only use that once in a while, probably only put this case on when you'll use it for the stand. I found it pretty easy to take off and put on. Overall, great case, just bulky.