5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my iPad
Published on August 27, 2011 by J. Hubbs

3.0 out of 5 stars Protects, but not sturdy enough
I have had this case since December 2011 and I initially loved it. Within a few months of regular use, the case developed cracks along the back of each corner. The case is still in tact with a small chip or two, but the cracks are just going to keep getting bigger.

Published on July 26, 2012 by kfp

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my iPad, August 27, 2011
J. Hubbs (King of Prussia) - See all my reviews
Two weeks after I got this I had a stupid attack. I was getting in my car and was distracted by a phone call and drove off with the iPad in the roof. As I was getting on a curved freeway onramp at 40 MPH the iPad went flying. Skidded a ways and came to a stop in the breakdown lane. When I retrieved it the iPad was was still in perfect condition. The case had the crap beat out of it but it still works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits iPad 3rd generation, March 23, 2012
I bought this for my third-generation iPad knowing that that model was 0.6mm thicker than the iPad 2, for which this case was actually designed. Good news -- it fits! Great companion to Apple's Smart Cover, and the metal strip on the back for holding the cover in place when the iPad is in use is a must-have for this kind of case. The soft touch feel is comfortable and "grippy," and the slots for ports are precisely formed. If you don't mind adding a millimeter or so of thickness to your iPad, this is a great Smart Cover companion.

My only minor complaint is that the SmartShell makes no attempt to secure the Smart Cover hinge in place, as do some other cases of this type. While it certainly doesn't make accidental Smart Cover detachment any *more* likely, it doesn't protect against it either. And perhaps that feature wouldn't be worth the additional width it would require.

5.0 out of 5 stars SPECK-tacular Product!, November 24, 2011
This review is from: Speck Products iPad 2/3/4 SmartShell - Blue (SPK-A0435) (Personal Computers)
I got this as a gift for my mom's birthday. She loves her iPad 2 and the Apple Smart Cover is an excellent product. She has the matching blue Smart Cover and always wishes that there was a nice looking case that protected the back from scratches, as well as working with the Smart Cover. This product went above and beyond all of my expectations! It feels great, it is smooth but not too slippery. The SmartShell is thin, lightweight, and protective. The SmartShell works beautifully with the Smart Cover. I got my mom the matching light blue, and the Smart Cover and SmartShell blend flawlessly and are clearly made for each other. I highly recommend this product over any other for the IPad 2. It "snaps" on quickly and easily and can also be removed without too much effort, but would never come off on its own by mistake. Her iPad still slides easily into her InCase brand iPad sleeve even with the SmartShell and Smart Cover on it. As usual, Amazon.com has the best price and Prime shipping, so this product was the best birthday gift I have gotten my mom in years for me and her. It was exactly what she wanted and it did not break my bank! I believe the photos on Amazon of this product are highly accurate according to color, shape and size; you can see the apple logo through this color case as shown in the stock photo. I was impressed by this product when I found and ordered it, and even more impressed when I actually got it! The iPad "breathes" well in the case and does not seem to overheat. The SmartShell is made with a very high craftsmanship quality, it does not feel flimsy, I do not think that it will break or crack easily, and I truly believe that it will last for years. I have always trusted SPECK products to protect my Apple products. I also believe that the SmartShell will protect the iPad from scratches, dents, dings, drops and general wear and tear. I have instructed my mom to remove the case every so often an wipe the iPad and inner case of dust and and debris so that it will not rub and scratch on the iPad, although I do not think that it will be much of a problem due to the perfect fit on the iPad and limited holes for debris to sneak into. She can still easily plug everything into the iPad, the case does not get in the way of the headphone jack or charging plug (I used to have that issue with some other-brand early cases on my iPod...). I hope you buy and enjoy this product as much as I do (and my mom does!) this is the only review I have ever left feedback for too, so that should speak for itself! This product truly is SPECK-tacular!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product for Ipad 2 protection! Exceptional!, May 13, 2011
This is one great product that I actually got at gleemobile cause Amazon states a 4-5 week shipping date, what???? Why???

I ordered mine on Wednesday from gleemobile and had it on Friday! NOw that's service!

None the less if your looking for good solid overall protection for the back of your Ipad, look no further!

I have tried many and the only other case that comes close to this one is the Belkin Snap shield.

The Speck is a substantive protector for your Ipad's tender aluminum back, its thick, too thick, very durable, and very easy to take on and off, unlike other cases currently being marketed.

Most importantly it is also skin and screen protector friendly, so no issues there. If you already have these on don't worry about having to take them off, it fits like a charm!

All the Ipad functions are totally accessible and line up perfectly.

It just naturally adheres to the back of the Ipad so seamlessly, its evident that Speck engineers put a great deal of time and effort into the design of this product.

Also an innovative part of the design is the conductive strip that allows the Apple smart cover to hold itself in place is a real bonus, kudos to Speck on that one, no one else seems to have figured that one out.

What this protective case does is allow you to use the wonderful Apple Smart cover and not have to worry one bit about the back of the unit getting scratched and this is a GREAT thing!

I highly recommend this if your looking for a good sturdy all around protective shell for your Ipad 2 especially if you already have some sort skin protection on it.

And don't wait for Amazon go right over to gleemobile and pick it up right now, they'll ship it out priority mail for FREE!

Can't beat that!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the cover I was looking for ..., July 15, 2011
After looking at many different types of covers, I decided on the Speck because of it's thin design, compatibility with the Apple Smart Cover and the metal strip on the back to hold the Smart Cover when folded over. The Smartshell has met all these expectations. I particularly like the metal strip on the back to hold the Smart cover in place. It was becoming a little annoying having the cover flop around on the back while holding the iPad, especially since I like to have the Home button near my right thumb and volume rocker in the left corner.

A nice surprise for me was the "feel" of the cover. It has a slight "rubbery" texture which I find comfortable. It feels like I have a better hold on the iPad verses the very smooth metal back, which sometimes felt like the iPad was going to slip out of my hands. I read in another review that the back is prone to scratching, I hope this is not the case, but I will try and provide an update later. Right now, I am very pleased and would recommend this cover.

3.0 out of 5 stars Protects, but not sturdy enough, July 26, 2012

Worth it for the price on Amazon, but I would not recommend for someone who may be likely to drop their ipad a couple of times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mandatory, June 19, 2012
You need this item. The iPad is great, and slippery. If you have a smart cover you're only half way on the road to keeping a grip on the iPad. This cover for the back works in concert with the Smart Cover and protects the fine finish of the iPad to keep it from slipping from your hand. If only everythng worked as well as the SmartShell--what a great world it would be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Positive "click"., January 5, 2013
This case is the real deal. I think I actually prefer it with an Apple smart-cover to the Apple smart-case I just bought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great with iPad 3rd Gen and Smart Cover, June 27, 2012
This is a great looking case and works seamlessly with the Smart Cover on the the 3rd Gen iPad. You can still see the Apple Logo through the case which is a nice touch. The Case is made of a somewhat flexible, but sturdy plastic and it is easy to grab and hold on to. The case fits nicely over all ports and switches and the speaker is left uncovered, which I like. The magnet on the back is great for gaming or reading when you have to hold onto the iPad and really does a nice job of keeping the Smart Cover out fo the way. It was easy to install and adds some protection, certainly not as much as a full case does, but my iPad travels in a laptop bag and so I dont need the added protection. Finally, the Speck does not interfere with the closing of the Smart Cover as the edge of the case is flush, I know this to be an issue on some Smart Cover cases. I would certainly reccomend this case and while it is a little more money that some of the lesser known brands, it is quite a bit cheaper than the same style Belkin Case and I had good luck with my Speck case for my iPhone 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good protection for my New iPad (3rd Gen), May 20, 2012
I purchased this to complement the Apple Smart Cover for my New iPad. Although made for the iPad 2, it fit mine with no issues. It works very well with the Smart Cover and allows the back and edges to be well protected. I especially like that the magnet holds the cover open against the back more strongly. The non-slip texture of the case is appreciated as it keeps the device easily in my hand. Lastly, it is not bulky and makes it easy to use and hold in most situations.