5.0 out of 5 stars Best Home Lighting Bulb Out of Many Tested
I am an engineer who has been completely disgusted with the home lighting situation. There are no standards and many misstatements and counterdictions at the stores. I own a Minolta flash meter which accurately measures a lights color temperature. I've tried the bulb technology at Walmart, Sams Club Home Depot and Lowes. The most glaring examples:
1) yellow light is...
Published on March 3, 2010 by NotaSecondTime

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Light, Be sure of your Mount
Published on October 23, 2010 by Wayne Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Home Lighting Bulb Out of Many Tested, March 3, 2010
This review is from: Full Spectrum Light Bulb ALZO 27W Compact Fluorescent CFL - Pack of 4 - 5500K Daylight - 120V - Joyous Light Pure White Light (Tools & Home Improvement)
1) yellow light is called soft white (2700)
2) very blue washed-out color light is called daylight (6000-6500)
3) Low lumen (400-600 lumens) LED lights go for as much as $90!
4) Some bulbs are advertised as white but the chart on the back shows its yellow. Go Figure!

Here are the bulbs to avoid: all (harsh washed-out blue) daylight, and (yellow) soft white. The GE Reveal offers somewhat better clarity, but is overpriced and quite yellow.

Full spectrum (5000-5500) bulbs are a step-up but stores offer a very limited selection. The Home Depot full 100w spectrum's beats the Lowe's Ott-Lite.

On the LED front Sam's Club carries a 520 lumen, 4100K, 9 LED PAR38 reflector which has a easily noticeable smoother light spectrum. Great for the one light on in the kitchen in the evening. The equivalent $70 LED lights at the hardware store are hardly a bargain, as the Sam's is $20! However its Color Retention index (CRI)is only 74.

The best of all are lights are these 5500K Alzo's. I've installed a 45w in the kitchen pantry and the color of the food boxes really pop. Food looks like it does in the magazines. The clarity is first rate (however 27w should be sufficient). They are the reference to which others are to be compared. My wife has not complained even when they are on at night-time. This is a first.
Skin tones in the bathroom look very natural. A first again.

Color temperature alone is not the sole basis to buy a bulb as a high CRI is also required. The Alzo's come in at 92, which is very high. Most manufactures do not even list this measurable figure (assume because its too low).

I've been testing other bulbs. For vanity and lamps (Alzo does make any) these offer a VERY uniform ball of nice white 5000K glow. I ordered 12 for my new house's bathrooms:
Maxlite 14 Watt G30 Globe CFL DL SKM14EGDL

For kitchen these are now the best 5000K PAR lights. Not as high of color quality as Alzo, but they don't make reflector lights!
Maxlite 23 Watt CFL R40 Flood Day Lite SKR423FLDL

In summary best home lights are the Photo CFL which offer both a 5000-5500K range with a CRI over 90. Further these bulbs allow for brighter rooms, as compared to hardware store types. That is, the more pleasing light allows for greater brightness levels, so go for the 45watt bulbs in larger pantries or rooms.

Thanks go to Amazon and Alzo for allowing consumers to purchase superior quality products at a price no higher than the unpleasant and unsatisfying bulbs in the store. Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars A sunny Saturday morning, anytime, September 22, 2010
I'm a painter - of canvases, not houses. I need an indoor light source that's as much like natural daylight as possible, so my color choices will be accurate and consistent, and not "surprising" when viewed somewhere other than my studio.

Before ordering the ALZO 4-pack of 27-watt bulbs I called the ALZO company, which is actually a manufacturer of photography-related products. I spoke with Joseph (or Yosef?) there, who is a professional photographer with decades of experience. He answered my questions with real expertise and I felt entirely confident in ordering the ALZO bulbs from Amazon.

My Amazon order arrived with the usual Amazon efficiency. The bulbs are individually boxed, with all four boxes packed inside an outer box. They are LARGER than you might expect, but my application is utilitarian, so that's not a problem. See the dimensioned illustration on the Amazon product page.

The light is BRIGHT(!) and very WHITE(!) and for me, the 27W size is all I need (though I may find use for the 35W version eventually). According to Joseph, 5,500 degrees Kelvin is as close as you can get to natural daylight (5,600K) and what I see supports that statement well. I expect to use two bulbs when painting; that's a mere 54 watts of electricity for a LOT of balanced, bright "daylight". The energy savings are much appreciated.

As long as the large bulb size does not present a problem, I suggest you buy this four pack. The price per bulb is MUCH lower than that of competing bulbs and the quality seems good. A Good Value, sez I.

BONUS: As I understand it, these bulbs also provide the type of light used to overcome S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder), a sort of depression that can occur in winter months when we tend to receive too little sunlight (not enough Vitamin D from sunlight, actually). FYI: You can take 5,000 IU of vitamin D supplement daily to compensate.

This winter, I think I'll feel EVEN BETTER when I paint under this light source.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Light, Be sure of your Mount, October 23, 2010
These things give off a lot of bright white light with a slightly bluish tint. The chromatic variance off of true white is subtle however most people do not realize how used to the strong yellow tones of the average incandescent or CFL bulb. While science has a lot to say about the positive benefits of using a full spectrum light bulb, choosing this particular bulb requires a keen awareness of your use.

These lights are sturdy, are a little bit heavier than your average CFL, and are about a coil and a half too long for most residential lighting fixtures which were sized for the former incandescent bulbs.

ALZO is a great choice, if you need a smaller one, look for one with a slightly smaller watt rating, and also count the coils. This bulb would be an excellent choice for larger rooms and lights where more light is necessary - and where the mount supports its longer length.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect light - bright, natural, and quiet, April 28, 2011
ReubenR (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought these bulbs mainly based on the review by 'NotaSecondTime'. Now that I've received them and had them on for a little while, I can state unequivocally that he was 100% correct: these are the best bulbs I've ever bought.

Obviously, since I just got these, I can't speak to longevity; but after warming up for about several minutes, these bulbs bathed my office in the most natural light short of actual sunlight coming through the windows. (NOTE: while the bulbs do take a few minutes to *completely* warm up, these bulbs are very bright when you first throw the switch; not like other CFLs that sometimes don't even turn on for a second after the switch is thrown.)

If you're used to incandescent bulbs or other CFLs in the 2700k-spectrum, you're probably used to everything having a yellow tint. After a week with these lights, though, you'll never go back. [I tried the GE 61355 Reveal 26-Watt Indoor Floodlight R40, which was also supposed to be more-natural light, but they are yellow too.]

My only complaint is that these lights don't come encased in a standard bulb enclosure (so that they look like any other R40 flush light bulb), and that they can't be used on dimmer switches. That would make these bulbs perfect. But I didn't deduct a star for those two issues because they're not defects - just features I wish they had.

Make sure when you first turn these on for the first time that you leave them on for at least a solid hour to break them in. Otherwise, you might shorten the bulb's life or introduce periodic mild buzzing for the first 5-10 minutes they're on. My bulbs are silent, and all four that I ordered arrived in working condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars daylight., January 13, 2010
these bulbs are awesome. pure white light. no blue, no yellow, just pure white. i also ordered the 43 watt alzo bulbs and although they are rated at double the lumens i prefer this size. it seems to give almost as much light output while being 1/3 smaller and using about 40% less energy.
they are slightly pricey considering u can get a 'bright white' 4100k 2 pack of 26 watt bulbs for 6 dollars at home depot, but these give slightly better light for those that need pure light to show details. such as photography, autodetailing, woodworking, painting etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice light, but buzzing sound is unbearable, September 24, 2011
If you want to feel like you're living in a David Lynch film, these lights will provide the appropriate soundtrack. The buzzing is audible from 10 feet away. It's a shame, because the light they emit is lovely.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loud Humming noise Stay away, October 17, 2011
Stay away from this brand they make a loud humming noise when turned on, very disturbing. I just got the Square Perfect light bulb and it is dead silent. Might be good for a garage or high ceiling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, when I wanted it, October 12, 2012
Okay, hopefully you've read the most helpful review by NotaSecondTime. Based on NotaSecondTime's recommendation, I read each and every other review for this product. Here are the caveats:

1. Bulbs are larger/longer than many (if not most) spiral CFL's -- 6 1/2 inches. Make sure they'll fit your intended fixtures.
2. Some users reported buzzing/humming.
3. If you have no idea what degrees Kelvin means for color, these may be too harsh/blue/sterile for your taste.

These bulbs arrived on time, in perfect condition and all four work. I'm "burning them in" by making sure they stay on for at least 1 hour without switching off. Be advised that fluorescent bulbs do not respond well to short on/off cycles, which can reduce their life to that of an incandescent. Leave them on at least 15 minutes before switching off.

I have carefully listened at close range to each bulb. No buzzing or humming detected -- and I'm really sensitive to this kind of thing.

I'm using two of these bulbs in recessed ceiling fixtures in my kitchen that would normally take a floodlight (PAR 38 type). They extend below the fixture, which is actually what I want -- diffuse light, with very soft shadows. When using incandescent floods, I get a serious cast shadow that makes food prep difficult. These beauties have solved that problem. I'm somewhat concerned that this type of fixture will be hard on the ballast. If they go early because of heat buildup, I'll come back and edit this review. EDIT: bought medium base, ceramic socket extenders, which now place most of the spiral outside the recessed fixture -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XQ02PO/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Ah, the color of these lamps is perfect for me. I get the winter blues and actually have a special light box with the correct color temperature lamps in it. These Alzo bulbs match that color nicely. They are exactly what I desire in lighting.

Price, service, performance -- these bulbs are a great buy, if you can appreciate them. Plus, according to other reviewers, if you have a dud or they burn out too soon, call Alzo's customer service and they will ship you replacements WITHOUT having to return the bad ones!

Regards,

Vince Runza

4.0 out of 5 stars White Buzz, December 24, 2010
As the engineer wrote in his thorough review these light bulbs create a very white light. My other supposedly "daylight" bulbs look yellow in comparison. In the computer room I don't notice the buzzing since other noise sources mask the noise; however, in the bathroom I can notice the (slight) buzzing sound from these bulbs (so I took off 1 star). The bulbs are further from my ears in the other room so that might also be a consideration as the bulbs are about 2 feet from my ears in the bathroom. Some people won't be bothered by the buzzing but if you're very sensitive to noise you'll want to consider a different bulb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, non-harsh, natural daylight for parrot aviary, March 3, 2010
We couldn't beat the price for these bulbs. Much cheaper than the single bulbs sold in bird magazines and on popular parrot websites. They are just as advertised. One bulb lights a 15x20 room (enclosed Aviary) in our house. Living in western Washington State, where it is overcast most of the year, even in summer. I have seen a marked improvement in my birds in the past few weeks after replacing the CFL light bulbs with the Full Spectrums.