5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite of a fabulous series
Published on March 6, 2005 by Elizabeth A. Root

3.0 out of 5 stars Later books are better
To be fair, I first noticed the Spectrum books at Spectrum 17 and was wowed by the diverse and great art presented. I love these books for inspiration for my writing and Spectrum 17 hit the spot.

Published on November 2, 2011 by C. Monk

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite of a fabulous series, March 6, 2005
This review is from: Spectrum 1: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art (No. 1) (Paperback)
These are truly spectacular collections: I have most of them and this is my favorite. Always count on finding many works that are stunning, breathtaking and thought-provoking. Potential buyers should be aware that there is usually some nudity and sexuality, and a few of the pictures in any collection will horrific or even grotesque. It is hard to imagine a better buy in representational art for an extremely varied collection of gorgeous, powerful, witty and clever works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy....., November 27, 2003
By A Customer
This is a great book and so are the other 9 in this series. I have them all and I haven't been disappointed with any of them. The book contains artwork that can be seen on book covers, magazine covers, CD's, Video Game Packaging and Comic Books to name just some of the ways this artwork is shown. I recommend this to anyone who is a fan of Fantasy, Roll Play and other venues of the imagination. This book will be one you won't get tired of looking at year after year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spectrum Series, September 11, 2005
Anybody who is interested in Sci-Fi or Fantasy artwork should be a big fan of this series. Spectrum 1 is actually a reprint of the original. The reason that I won't give it 5 stars is that since this was the first, it's format is that of a directory of illustrators. For an even better experience, pick up books 9-11, they're worth the cost.

Panda

3.0 out of 5 stars Later books are better, November 2, 2011

The first few Spectrums, however, pale in comparision. The pictures are small, often with several crammed onto the same page, and the art itself is a confused collection of random types of art, which is great at showcasing all that's out there, doesn't really maintain an over-arching theme.

Maybe that's not fair to these first few books, but if you are looking to buy a book with dazzling fantasy/horror/sci-fi pictures, try the later books in this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting selection of a variety of art and illustrations, July 12, 2010
This could be titled "The Best in Contemporary Fantasy Illustrations." Most of the works here illustrations or art for publications (book covers, etc). There are some outstanding pieces here, some genuinely interesting pieces, and a lot of fairly typical pieces.

On the whole I think people who are into the art on covers of books, etc. will enjoy this work. I did dock one point because I though that there wasn't a real correlation between the quality of the art and the space it was given though. Maybe later issues are better? I haven't seen them yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thing of Beauty, January 4, 2013
This is a reprint of the first Spectrum volume, and the goal of the series is a noble one: each year, a panel of judges picks some of the best artwork in the fantasy/sci-fi/horror genres and they are bound together in a collected volume. Entries could be painting, illustration, sculpture, and real, digital or a combination of both. What makes reading through any of the Spectrum collections fun is the combination of talent and creativity that goes into every entry. You may not like every image (and this first volume isn't necessarily the best of them), but you will find many things you like.

As with all art books, it should be pointed out that there will be some depictions of nudity, violence, or gore. If images that are as graphic as, say, a Frank Frazetta painting of Conan bother you, then be advised. I don't find anything truly horrifying or awful to look at and quite the opposite I find moments of sheer beauty, as you can see from the colorful example by James Gurney on the cover.

For those who love the fantastic and can appreciate art, the Spectrum books are an enjoyable collection, and I'm glad that the many artists who put in effort every year on things like book covers, games, and statues can get some recognition for their work.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a you waiting for? Go ahead and get it!!, September 17, 2008
If you are a serious fan of art of the fantastic, this is a must! I have become a collector of this series and each year I look forward to get each publication on hardcover if I can. Don't even think about it. Just get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love it =), February 5, 2008
I love art books and I want to collect all of the spectrum books. When I got this, I was sooo happy! I can't stop looking through it. It's inspiring and I can't wait to buy the rest of the series! Very vivid art!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, November 25, 2008
Arrive on time, in new condition. Great Art Books. Creative motivational inspiration. I will get all of them... at 20 to 30 each you know they must be good.

5.0 out of 5 stars broad spectrum, December 30, 2008
Christopher Ohlgren "chris" (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
I have many of the Spectrum series and love them all. They are all a collection of amazing illustrative and fantasy art. Amazing art, cover to cover.

Spectrum 1: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art (No. 1)
Spectrum 1: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art (No. 1) by Arnie Fenner (Paperback - October 29, 2003)
Used & New from: $59.97