This comprehensive textbook provides a clear, reader-friendly writing style, serves as an introduction to speech science, and covers basic information on acoustics, the acoustic analysis of speech, speech anatomy and physiology, and speech perception. The Fifth Edition also includes topics such as research methodology, speech motor control, and history/evolution of speech science.
- New material on speech respiration and expanded information on cross-language speech issues
- New organization and shortened chapters aid reading and comprehension
- Information on acoustics, speech physiology, and speech perception is integrated to create a unified treatment of speech science
- An explanation of the normal communication process serves as a basis for comparison with communication disorders
- Audio clips available on the companion Website are referenced in the text by an icon
- A bibliography concludes each chapter to encourage further study
With its reader-friendly content and valuable online resources, Speech Science Primer: Physiology, Acoustics and Perception of Speech, Fifth Edition is an ideal text for beginning speech pathology and audiology students and faculty alike. Visit the book's companion Website to view the online resources!