Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on April 7, 2003
This is a cute book full of little tidbits of information that really do nothing more than amuse yourself. Most of the excuses in the book will never work for anybody. There are some tips and a few excuses that the author makes reference to that may help you but overall, I was disappointed with the book. The cartoons are funny and cute. It was well put together also. Sorry I could not be very helpful with a recommendation but its not worth it.
Thanks.
VINE VOICEon May 4, 2009
A police officer attempts to stop a car for speeding and the guy gradually increases his speed until he's topping 100mph. He eventually realizes he can't escape and finally pulls over. The cop approaches the car and says, "It's been a long day, and it's near the end of my shift. If you can just give me a good excuse for your behavior, I'll let you go." The man thinks for a few seconds and then says, "My wife ran away with a cop about a week ago. I though you might be that officer trying to give her back!"

Wouldn't you like have an available excuse for the next time you are pulled over? Then you're going to want to pick up a copy of Speeding Excuses That Work by Alex Carroll, published by Gray Area Press. This book contains true stories from drivers who outfoxed the cops and escaped moving violations. Now their secrets can work for you, too. Before I get to the good stuff, let me post a little note to the boys in blue.

Memo to All Cops

This book is full of lies. Excuses people used to get out of a speeding ticket. Is it right? Well, is a speeding trap right? I feel a speeding trap is inherently dishonest. I appeal to you to be officers of traffic safety and not officers of traffic revenue. Pursue the reckless drivers, the impaired drivers, the drivers talking on their cell phones. They are the real dangers on the road today. Setting up speed traps just to fill some quota at the expense of some easy-to-catch motorist going with the flow of traffic isn't protecting anyone. For all those good cops out there who really do serve and protect, thanks for all you do.

Who wants to be pulled over? This handy book also includes how to spot a cop before he spots you. For example, watch out on freeways with bushes and trees in the median. There are often little nooks where the staties lie in wait, and cops love to park under bridges/overpasses. Considering a radar detector? The author tells you what to do and what not to do. You don't want to plug it into your cigarette lighter. It's the first place cops look.

OK, so we all know the best way to avoid a speeding ticket is not to speed, but I'm sure I'm not the only who has gotten a ticket on an open stretch of road.. Should you use any of these excuses? Should you really have to face increased premiums for just going with the flow? You decide. If you want to save a fortune in fines and insurance surcharges, then you are going to love the story of the man who turned his garden hose into a ticket terminator. The author also includes a cheat sheet of handy excuses to carry in your car. He also includes gender specific excuses.

Sooner or later, you are bound to be pulled over, if just for a broken taillight. The author gives good advice on what to do and what not to do. Address him as "officer," not "sir." Sir can sound too contrived. Which cop is most likely to issue you a ticket? The higher the rank, the less likely you are to receive a ticket, because senior officers have better things to do than go to traffic court -- like play golf. This book will give you the inside knowledge to determine rank. Sometimes addressing an officer by a higher rank can get you brownie points, but the last thing you want to do is call him a lower rank than he is.

So what happens if your excuse doesn't fly? Try Alex Carroll's other book Beat the Cops, the Guide to Fighting Your Traffic Ticket and Winning. This book can tell you how to dodge a photo radar ticket, how to schedule a trial during an officer's vacation, and how the public records law could guarantee you a win. If you feel you were ticket unfairly, you owe it to yourself and to democracy. Don't be afraid to read these books. Don't be afraid to exercise your rights...

What came first? The speed trap, or the excuse? Email me at frommyshelf@epix.net. Miss a pass column? Speed over to [...] and catch up on past violations. Hobo's going Gonzo. Vote for Hobo in the upcoming election for Tioga County sheriff. Vote early and vote often. "Hobo For Sheriff--Guns, Guts, and Gonzo"
on March 19, 2009
I got this book as a gift and my husband started leafing through it and laughing. He could't stop sharing excuses - one particularly hilarious one was "I can't wear my seatbelt because I just got my nipples pierced!" But there's also practical information, from what the various stripes/badges etc. on the uniform mean rank wise (and who will most likely issue a ticket) to what to do when you get pulled over, like stop the car and put the keys on the dash. Definitely a great gift item for anyone who drives!
on November 30, 2004
My husband's a cop so I found this book both helpful AND humorous. It is full of really great excuses that will work ... especially the ones for women. Protect yourself and don't miss the must-read bonus section on "Safety Tips For Women."
on November 27, 2004
I drive a black Porsche 944 Turbo. It's a good car, but my driving habits tend to attract plenty of attention. What can I say, it's just a car that likes to do at least 80 on the freeway and just a little bit less everywhere else. Suffice to say, I've already used all the tricks to beat tickets. Speeding Excuses helps me beat the rap before a cop can even write a ticket.

Bottom line: this book is super helpful, whether for bad boys or soccer moms, teenagers or executives. Most people are responsible in traffic and most cops are catching them at a bad moment. This book will help out in those tricky times. This little book has saved me so many times I've lost count. My favorite is the water bottle trick. It works every time. And the tear-out cheat sheet to keep in your console is awesome.

This book will pay for itself ten times over with just one application. Apply generously in times of need.
on April 4, 2002
This book contains lots of great advice on how to get out of a ticket. The book contains a plethora of stories submitted by average citizens that were lucky enough to get out of a ticket (check out my favorite on page 136), and also a ton of info about things such as camera generated tickets, figuring out an officers rank by his badge and stripes, and what to say or not say when you get pulled over. I think that I now have a much better chance of avoiding a ticket.
on November 3, 2006
This was a decent book about fighting your speeding ticket. Was written by a cop, so I enjoyed hearing his perspective in this matter. I used this book with a combination of other books about beating your ticket and would suggest others to do the same. He had some good ideas regarding what to ask the police for when preparing for you case (Officers Arrest records, His training records for using radar or laser, and other things). Honestly, I didnt have the time to fight with a cop in court, so I just hired a lawyer to get it erased. If you have a ton of time on your hands, do not work full time or you dont go to school, then go for it. Im sure very few can answer yes to that. Speeding tickets are a huge scam by the cities and state and it is a multi-million dollar business. It's literally extortion and the courts are betting on the fact that the person coughs up the money and shuts up. Its when that person decides to fight the ticket and stand up to these criminals wearing a badge, you might win your case. Also, try to get your case moved to a different court than the court where you got the ticket. The judges and police officers see each other every day and are in on the scam. Better chances of winning if you get a jury trial and the case being in a different court with a non prejudice judge. If all else fails, hire a lawyer. Buy a really good radar detector (Valentine1.com) and watch your speed. Thanks.
on November 27, 2004
After getting caught in a ridiculous speed trap outside Albany, NY last summer, I vowed NEVER to be extorted like that again. I ordered this book on the advice of a friend, and found several ideas I thought I could pull off. After all, everything's negotiable, right?

Last week, I got stung again, but this time I was ready. My "excuse" involved a ratty old dog leash I got at a garage sale for a buck (negotiated down from $2!) When the cop pulled me over, I went into high excuse mode: The pit bull I was watching for a friend on vacation got out and I was desperately trying to find "Spike" or my friend would kill me. The cop eyed the "prop" leash on the seat, looked at my panicked expression, and sent me on my way. I couldn't believe it! That stupid excuse from the book saved me a ticket, points on my license and a sure insurance hike. Now I want to try some of the other excuses in the book, but I think I'll slow down instead! If you can't afford to get another ticket, and you're not caught doing something crazy or reckless, you'll find plenty of easy ways out in this book. Believe me, it's a lot better to negotiate with a cop then a judge.
on December 7, 2004
This has to be the greatest book on beating the system I've ever read and I don't just mean for speeding. The excuses here are funny and imaginative and can easily be adapted for all kinds of situations. You'll definitely find several that will fit your personality and be believable. You've got to give this book a try, it'll be a lifesaver!
on April 4, 2002
Excuses that work! Yes, I've used a few of them myself and they did work! Not just speeding excuses, but all kinds of excuses to get out of tickets. A must have book, and don't forget to check out Alex Carrol's first book, it's just as clever!