I've had this for 2 months now, and have used it a few dozen times. I also previously owned the Aquabeat 1.0, and have owned several waterproof ipod nanos.

Published 18 months ago by jtk

1.0 out of 5 stars What a Waste of Money!
I waited until the Speedo 2.0 before making my first purchase of an underwater MP3 player, purely based on the fact that I didnt believe that technology had come far enough to provide a decent consumer level product. I was sadly mislead into believing that this was it.

Looks
Published on December 9, 2011 by Sanjiv

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge this based on the earphones, the device works great, March 16, 2013

First off, you need to get a good fit from for the ear pieces, or else any underwater mp3 player will be junk. And what fits one person well won't fit another. I tried 3-4 different types before I found something that works. That ended up being one of the cheaper underwater earphones available through Amazon. Once you've got earphones that work, you'll be able to tell that basically all the underwater mp3 players sound pretty much the same (okay, but not great, fine for podcasts or casual music appreciation). It's just a matter of how reliable they are, what features they have, how easy they are to use.

In comparison with the previous Aquabeat, this is a big winner. This new version is smaller, much, much easier to use with the LED screen, and has a radio that surprisingly works pretty well. The only disadvantage is that it doesn't float like the previous version, but that's not really a big deal to me.

In comparison to the ipod nano with waterproofing, well, that's tougher to say. If you like to listen to radio a lot while swimming, then go with the Aquabeat 2.0, sure. But the nano is so much better designed and using iTunes to manage your music is much, much easier if you are trying to listen to podcasts that update frequently. The controls on the nano are much better as well. The Aquabeat's buttons are clumsy and the interface really needs to be simplified to allow the most common operations with one or two touches. The nano has voiceover, so the lack of an LCD screen is not a big deal, it's pretty easy to find the music you want.

So would I recommend a waterproof nano over the Aquabeat? Well, while they're operating, I loved my nano. It's fantastic. But, in the last three years, I've been through four of them, they all failed after after 4-8 months of usage. Look at reviews from people who have had the product more than a month, it's a frequent complaint. However I have had good experience with Waterfi's customer service, they gave me a free replacement within their 1-year warranty period twice. They're advertising an upgraded waterproofing system that they claim will work much better, without coming out and admitting that their previous system wears out with frequent use.

Presumably, since the Aquabeat is actually designed by the manufacturer to work underwater, it'll last longer. I don't really know if it'll work out that way, since my first Aquabeat was stolen after only a month, and I've only been using the Aquabeat 2.0 for about two months. As Of right now though, I'd definitely recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice device but !, November 27, 2011
Peter Stalder (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Pros,

Easy to use once I got the manual which it did not come with it. It is hard to use most functions without it.
It Clips easy on the goggles but I had to take off the plastic piece that wraps around the ears which is attached to headphones/earplugs.
I yet to use the stopwatch while training.

Cons
The sound is not loud enough; I had max the volume to be able to hear it.
The radio does go out of tune once underwater and gets static sound , you have to re -tune it which is easy.
The fitness function is strangely not really designed to work for a swimmer more like a runner or cyclist.
Battery charge does not last all that , it drains even while shut down.
It would be great if it had a lap counter built in.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a Waste of Money!, December 9, 2011

Looks
The Aquabeat MP3 player looks pretty nifty, unfortunately though the buttons are not very user friendly, with an absurdly complicated level of buttons to get to the main menu from whatever is playing at the time.

The sound
Even on ground, the sound quality is below average, far worse than even most of the chinese knockoff mp3 players you find around the place

The headphones
this is probably the worst part. Once underwater, these constantly come off, even after I adjust the earpiece to suite my ears. Even if they do by some miracle stay on the ears, the sound is so badly muffled, that its like having two pillows over your ears.

Features
Dont even bother thinking about using things like the distance calculator, timer or radio. For one thing its time consuming to get started and the radio is terrible once underwater..

Rating and recommendation
- Wouldnt bother buying this, I hear good things about the FINIS underwater MP3, but will wait out a few more years before testing the waters again!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Device, February 20, 2012
This review is from: Speedo Aquabeat 2.0 4GB MP3 (Sports)
I own this device for about 4 months now, and I can't swim without it anymore. The only down point are the headphones that don't fit properly in my ear canal, I had to cut a piece of the rubber part and adapt. For that reason, the sound is really low when your head is in the water, they should find a way to make a headphone that is able to keep the water from getting in.
The device is great, but I'm giving it 4 stars for the headphones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Device, December 8, 2011
This review is from: Speedo Aquabeat 2.0 4GB MP3 (Sports)
The thing I like most is that it remembers where my song is after I turn it off. This is great for me, because I listen to large NPR podcasts and they may be cut short by the end of my swim, so I can return to the place where I left off the next day.

Other than that, it's FM player sounds great and even pre-programs channels, it's very easy to read the screen and to navigate after a couple minutes of practice.

I do have a problem with the headphones though. After getting them wet for the first time, they sound distorted and about 75% volume. Thankfully there is a 90 day warranty on the headphones.

The battery life is huge given in the specifications, it actually lasts in real life about 4 lap swimming sessions of 1 hour apiece. Which is good enough to have to plug it in 3+ hours to charge it every week or so.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, July 10, 2014
does not work right

1.0 out of 5 stars Aquabeat 2.0 failed after I used it, May 28, 2014
Manuel Nunez Velasco (Sayula, Jalisco Mexico) - See all my reviews
I am very dissapointed. I unpacked it, charge it and used it once and next day failed...
I also notices it has poor fm reception.
Manuel

1.0 out of 5 stars After a short time it broke, April 26, 2014
The metal screw part is rusty after a few swim and now 4 months down the road, the unlock button is no longer functioing and could not be switched off, so the whole unit is now declared useless, considering the amount of money one has to pay for this, I would rather go for other alternatives. I have used the older version of the aquabeat, it lasted several times more than this newer version. very disappointing with this product from Speedo indeed.

3.0 out of 5 stars The first one lasted 10 months..., April 16, 2014
Considering it came with a one year warranty, it performed like it was designed for 10 months, nearly flawlessly. Note, i am not using the earbuds that came with it because I couldn't stand having the things wrap behind my ears. So this review is based solely on the device not the earbuds.
I had one time where it got confused and wouldn't charge but with some persistence and a lot of attempts to reset it just decided to start working again.
my biggest frustration was the shuffle feature would favor some songs and never play others. I tried to make a custom randomized list myself but it didn't respect the playlist order either. I could never figure that one out.
Last week(4/10/2014) I got to the pool, heard one song then it powered off. I couldn't get it to power back on and figured it was confused again since I had just charged it two days ago. when I plugged it into my computer I got a USB not recognized error. I let is sit for a minute before i tried to unplug it and try again. when I attempted to unplug it, it was really hot (dead short on the battery). I called swimoutlet.com for advice and they had a warranty replacement in my hands by Monday the 14th. I immediately opened the package to get it charged for a lunchtime swim. It never charged. It wouldn't power on. I called them back and now have a AudioFlood on the way.
swimming to music is worth just about any cost and even at $114 for 10 months of awesome sound, though a bit steep was worth the money. Even better when I got a credit towards a new and better rated toy. So even with all the quirks, I would give it 3 stars. too bad they couldn't make it more durable. (typical first world problems)

1.0 out of 5 stars no support, February 15, 2014
For some reason I cant get it off radio and onto playing my recorded music. Telephone support never has returned my 5 calls and I cant find any information online.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›