Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on March 16, 2013
I've had this for 2 months now, and have used it a few dozen times. I also previously owned the Aquabeat 1.0, and have owned several waterproof ipod nanos.

First off, you need to get a good fit from for the ear pieces, or else any underwater mp3 player will be junk. And what fits one person well won't fit another. I tried 3-4 different types before I found something that works. That ended up being one of the cheaper underwater earphones available through Amazon. Once you've got earphones that work, you'll be able to tell that basically all the underwater mp3 players sound pretty much the same (okay, but not great, fine for podcasts or casual music appreciation). It's just a matter of how reliable they are, what features they have, how easy they are to use.

In comparison with the previous Aquabeat, this is a big winner. This new version is smaller, much, much easier to use with the LED screen, and has a radio that surprisingly works pretty well. The only disadvantage is that it doesn't float like the previous version, but that's not really a big deal to me.

In comparison to the ipod nano with waterproofing, well, that's tougher to say. If you like to listen to radio a lot while swimming, then go with the Aquabeat 2.0, sure. But the nano is so much better designed and using iTunes to manage your music is much, much easier if you are trying to listen to podcasts that update frequently. The controls on the nano are much better as well. The Aquabeat's buttons are clumsy and the interface really needs to be simplified to allow the most common operations with one or two touches. The nano has voiceover, so the lack of an LCD screen is not a big deal, it's pretty easy to find the music you want.

So would I recommend a waterproof nano over the Aquabeat? Well, while they're operating, I loved my nano. It's fantastic. But, in the last three years, I've been through four of them, they all failed after after 4-8 months of usage. Look at reviews from people who have had the product more than a month, it's a frequent complaint. However I have had good experience with Waterfi's customer service, they gave me a free replacement within their 1-year warranty period twice. They're advertising an upgraded waterproofing system that they claim will work much better, without coming out and admitting that their previous system wears out with frequent use.

Presumably, since the Aquabeat is actually designed by the manufacturer to work underwater, it'll last longer. I don't really know if it'll work out that way, since my first Aquabeat was stolen after only a month, and I've only been using the Aquabeat 2.0 for about two months. As Of right now though, I'd definitely recommend it.
on November 27, 2011

Easy to use once I got the manual which it did not come with it. It is hard to use most functions without it.
It Clips easy on the goggles but I had to take off the plastic piece that wraps around the ears which is attached to headphones/earplugs.
I yet to use the stopwatch while training.

The sound is not loud enough; I had max the volume to be able to hear it.
The radio does go out of tune once underwater and gets static sound , you have to re -tune it which is easy.
The fitness function is strangely not really designed to work for a swimmer more like a runner or cyclist.
Battery charge does not last all that , it drains even while shut down.
It would be great if it had a lap counter built in.
on December 9, 2011
I waited until the Speedo 2.0 before making my first purchase of an underwater MP3 player, purely based on the fact that I didnt believe that technology had come far enough to provide a decent consumer level product. I was sadly mislead into believing that this was it.

The Aquabeat MP3 player looks pretty nifty, unfortunately though the buttons are not very user friendly, with an absurdly complicated level of buttons to get to the main menu from whatever is playing at the time.

The sound
Even on ground, the sound quality is below average, far worse than even most of the chinese knockoff mp3 players you find around the place

The headphones
this is probably the worst part. Once underwater, these constantly come off, even after I adjust the earpiece to suite my ears. Even if they do by some miracle stay on the ears, the sound is so badly muffled, that its like having two pillows over your ears.

Dont even bother thinking about using things like the distance calculator, timer or radio. For one thing its time consuming to get started and the radio is terrible once underwater..

Rating and recommendation
- Wouldnt bother buying this, I hear good things about the FINIS underwater MP3, but will wait out a few more years before testing the waters again!!
on February 20, 2012
I own this device for about 4 months now, and I can't swim without it anymore. The only down point are the headphones that don't fit properly in my ear canal, I had to cut a piece of the rubber part and adapt. For that reason, the sound is really low when your head is in the water, they should find a way to make a headphone that is able to keep the water from getting in.
The device is great, but I'm giving it 4 stars for the headphones.
on December 8, 2011
The thing I like most is that it remembers where my song is after I turn it off. This is great for me, because I listen to large NPR podcasts and they may be cut short by the end of my swim, so I can return to the place where I left off the next day.

Other than that, it's FM player sounds great and even pre-programs channels, it's very easy to read the screen and to navigate after a couple minutes of practice.

I do have a problem with the headphones though. After getting them wet for the first time, they sound distorted and about 75% volume. Thankfully there is a 90 day warranty on the headphones.

The battery life is huge given in the specifications, it actually lasts in real life about 4 lap swimming sessions of 1 hour apiece. Which is good enough to have to plug it in 3+ hours to charge it every week or so.
on October 15, 2012
I like this MP3 player. I've had it a couple of months now and it is reliable for swimming laps. I do not use the earphones that came with it. I have a set of H2O surge Pros that I've been using for a year or so and I am sticking with them. Speedo must have been listening to it's customers because they fixed two of the shortfalls of the previous models. They added a shuffle option and a battery meter. Way to go Speedo! This MP3 player seems more stable when adding music to it. I do NOT like the plastic clip that this MP3 player uses to clip onto goggles. The old integrated retainers were much better.

I've had a Speedo LAZR for years. I have put a lot of laps in the pool with it. However, it doesn't want to reboot after a charge like it used to. I have to reset it a bunch before it works after a charge. I figure a few years in a wet environment is pretty good for an electronic device.

I tried another cheapo piece of !@#$% non-Speedo MP3 player. It was chrome plastic and the headphones screwed into the player so you have to use proprietary headphones with it. I ordered an adapter when I bought it but the instructions said the adapter could not be used in water. Didn't say that in the description of the product when I bought it. Plus the adapter was not a standard size. The non-Speedo MP3 player only lasted for about a month and one side stopped working. So I came back to Speedo. Glad I did.

I'll keep using the current setup until it goes bad. I have my old LAZR and the new Speedo headphones from the new player as backup. I am spoiled. Laps without music sucks! Maybe I'll get 3 years out of this setup. too.
on July 16, 2013
i really loved this speedo aquabeat, but just after a few months of cautious use and good care it stopped working. i turned it on, and it was beginning to turn on but then it died, and the play button seemed loose, a certain click would intricate maneuver would make it turn on. and so i thought it was worth trying to recharge it and see if that fixed the problem) and that if i charge it again it would turn on again. then i charged it over night and the next morning IT JUST WOULDN"T TURN ON ANYMORE!! not even a flicker like last time.

*sigh* ughh.. the days when it was running beautifully and carefree like the best thing in the world .. i miss those days.. and i just hope when i send it back under its one year warranty, i don't have to worry about a glitch again.. but it really sucks that i have to send it back at all.. i'm going to miss having it. showing it off to my friends was so much fun, they'd never heard of such a gadget before i introduced it. ... :( ..... I'm sitting here charging it again in hopes that it starts working again, so that i dont have to go through the hassle of the warranty or exchange process.....
on April 16, 2014
Considering it came with a one year warranty, it performed like it was designed for 10 months, nearly flawlessly. Note, i am not using the earbuds that came with it because I couldn't stand having the things wrap behind my ears. So this review is based solely on the device not the earbuds.
I had one time where it got confused and wouldn't charge but with some persistence and a lot of attempts to reset it just decided to start working again.
my biggest frustration was the shuffle feature would favor some songs and never play others. I tried to make a custom randomized list myself but it didn't respect the playlist order either. I could never figure that one out.
Last week(4/10/2014) I got to the pool, heard one song then it powered off. I couldn't get it to power back on and figured it was confused again since I had just charged it two days ago. when I plugged it into my computer I got a USB not recognized error. I let is sit for a minute before i tried to unplug it and try again. when I attempted to unplug it, it was really hot (dead short on the battery). I called for advice and they had a warranty replacement in my hands by Monday the 14th. I immediately opened the package to get it charged for a lunchtime swim. It never charged. It wouldn't power on. I called them back and now have a AudioFlood on the way.
swimming to music is worth just about any cost and even at $114 for 10 months of awesome sound, though a bit steep was worth the money. Even better when I got a credit towards a new and better rated toy. So even with all the quirks, I would give it 3 stars. too bad they couldn't make it more durable. (typical first world problems)
on September 18, 2013
Well, during the first month of operation the ear bud had failed. The speedo company sent me a second pair free of charge. Till now I have been using the second pair that I had bought with the MP3 unit (old model but good). Then I figure out that a good idea was to put the cable inside the swimming cup in order to limit the cable movement into the water it is still working (the first ear bud fail due to the cable connection).
After a month of intense use (every day for an hour at least) I notice some corrosion on a bold in the back of the clip. No big deal.
The Mp3 unit served me for 10 month of use when the buttons get stuck. I had notice some months before the existence of moister inside the screen. Probably because I push the buttons under the water one day... this was my mistake. I opened the device and was almost full of water.
Well, general it's a fairly good product, not the best, but it's not so waterproof. It was the second swimming MP3 that I have bought .
Total time of operation 250hours but to be fair probably caused by me. Do not operate the device underwater.
on May 28, 2014
I am very dissapointed. I unpacked it, charge it and used it once and next day failed...
I also notices it has poor fm reception.