[Edit 8/27/2011 - We own the Large size as well (found at a good price, so will wear next year). Note on sizing in the Sizing section below.]
[Edit 7/25/2011 - Update to sizing section below, my son's feet have grown to Size 7.5 and the Medium still fits (but just).]

Published on June 6, 2011 by Research Mommy

3.0 out of 5 stars Size isn't correct
Published on June 23, 2010 by Jill Snyder

4.0 out of 5 stars Grippy for Splash pad and Poolside use, Size M (6/7) fits like full Size 7 (and a bit), Size L ~Size 9.5 (6.375" foot), June 6, 2011
This review is from: Speedo Surfwalker Pro Water Shoe (Toddler) (Shoes)

I purchased these swim shoes in Black with Royal blue trim in Size Medium (Toddler 6/7) for my 17m old son who has Size 7 (5.5" long) feet. They're quite grippy on concrete and on the splash pad playpad surface, so I believe we will be using them for this summer swim season. They're also grippy on metal playground equipment.

Sizing: I ordered M (Toddler 6/7) as some other reviews said that they ran large. I would say that they fit a Size 7 (5.5" long, I traced them on paper) foot pretty closely, with only a bit of space for growth. At first I thought that they might fit him exactly with no room for growth, but after he's been wearing them, I'd say there is a bit of growth left in them. So I'd say based on a 6/7 sizing (where maybe you'd expect a 6.5-ish? ) that they run large and would fit more like Size 7, maybe Size 7 and a bit.

Sizing Update 7/25/2011: My almost 19m old son's feet are now 5 5/8" (=5.625") long (traced today) and these shoes still fit, but just. I definitely have to hold him still and pull them on him, it's not that easy. But once on, they still seem to have some little amount of space at the toes. Overall, I'd say the they fit a Size 7 foot perfectly, and Size 7.5 on the upper range (Size 7.5 corresponds to a 5.626" long foot). My son's outgrown all of his other shoes as of this week, so we're switching to these as our main shoes now for outdoors in a non-swimming capacity. (He likes them....)

Sizing Update 8/27/2011: My son's foot is 5 7/8" now, so we're out of these shoes, never did have any blister issues in the last month of full time use. We've moved on to (an actual) Size 8 of the stay-put swim shoes (google it). They are excellent as well.

Sizing for Size Large (8/27/2011): I bought the Size Large for next year, for him to grow into. As a note for others, they seem to fit between a Size 9.5 (=6.25") and Size 10 (=6.5"). I traced the outside of the Mediums, and the outside of the Large on paper, and the Large are 3/4" longer. Given that they use the same material and sole structure, we should be able to add the length of the foot that fits the Medium (5 5/8") + the extra 3/4" to get a Large foot length of 6 3/8" long. I tried it on my son's foot and it was substantially larger, definitely a full 2 sizes. So I would agree with other reviewers who report that a Size Large fits more like a Size 9/10.

Sole: Sole is very grippy and quite flexible (not as flexible as Skidders, or the O'Neill Reef shoes, but not bad). The sole is thick enough to provide significant protection against anything sharp on the ground. To be honest, I'd like the sole to be a bit more flexible, hence the 4 star rating, but they are way more flexible than the average toddler ordinary shoe, just not as good as Skidders.

Function: My son has worn them while running around on the Splash Pad playpad surface, and on concrete near a pool. They provide significant grip, I'm happy with them for pool and splash pad use this summer. We also took them to the beach, but they didn't work as well for us there, the upper is is a fabric-mesh which is good for releasing water, and likely for venting the foot , but on the beach it lets in sand, so my son had difficulty running around within a few minutes, and I found his shoes were packed with sand. We gave up using them on the beach.

[Edit 6/15/2011: Wanted to add that these have been working very well at the Splash Pad and on the nearby playground equipment. My son was in bare feet on the splash pad before we had these shoes, and there was an occasion where he quickly ran from the splash pad over to the adjacent playground equipment, where his wet feet slipped on the metal equipment there. Fortunately, there wasn't a bad fall. Now we always keep him in these shoes so that if he quickly changes focus between splash pad play and climbing play, he has grip on the playground equipment and we don't have to run over yelling, "shoes shoes"...]

At first I found them tricky to pull on his feet, but now that we're more used to them, we're better at getting them on. They have a little bungee cord thing on the top that you can tighten to make the top of the shoe fit a bit tighter. It's good for cinching them up a bit tighter, but I don't find it makes a lot of difference, and don't think it would compensate for a shoe that's just too large. They dry out super fast. We ordered the black with royal blue, it looks very similar to the photo, we're happy with the appearance.

Made in: China, for those who are interested.

Overall, I'd say the M size (Toddler 6/7) runs a bit on the large size, at a full Size 7, and as much as 7.5 if your child can stand having them pulled on. They are quite grippy and will provide anti-slip support for the pool and splash pad. At the beach, they filled with sand, so our experience there wasn't great, and they don't seem well suited to beach use in my opinion. I measured the Size Large, which we've bought but are waiting to grow into, and agree with other reviewers, they size in at between a size 9.5 and size 10.

3.0 out of 5 stars Size isn't correct, June 23, 2010
This review is from: Speedo Surfwalker Pro Water Shoe (Toddler) (Shoes)
I got these shoes for my 2 y/o daughter who wears an 8 1/2. I got the large because it said it was an 8/9. It's more of a 9/10. They're really big on her. I thought she could wear them on the shores of a lake but they're too loose. We cinch them tighter so she can wear them on a stable surface for now but she'll get more use out of them when her foot grows a little bigger.

1.0 out of 5 stars Blisters on my baby's feet!, June 7, 2011
Jennifer Sommers (Baltimore, Maryland USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Speedo Surfwalker Pro Water Shoe (Toddler) (Shoes)
These shoes are cute and seemed to fit well, but the seam and tag in the insole left blisters on both of my two-year-old's feet! I've returned them and am ordering some from a different brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars TOO BIG!!, December 20, 2011
These shoes are super cute, and I was excited to get them today......a few days and we are off to the Bahamas. One problem THEY ARE HUGE!!! My 2 year old son wears an 8 so I ordered the 8/9. They are a good 2, 2 1/2 inches too long. Hoping we can do an exchange before we leave.

1.0 out of 5 stars Made Horrible Blisters That Took Forever To Heal!, August 24, 2013
This review is from: Speedo Surfwalker Pro Water Shoe (Toddler) (Shoes)
I don't recommend these to anyone. Bought the correct size, tried them on my daughter, asked if they felt okay and she said yes. Took her to the beach and she wore them the whole time. Never complained about her feet once. When we got to the car I took them off, and saw two HUGE, angry, red, blisters on the inside arch of each foot. About the size of a quarter on a two year old's foot. That's a big blister for an adult foot. It took about 2 1/2 weeks of intense and careful treatment to heal them. She cried whenever we put her normal shoes on. I tossed the shoes out and never put them on her again.

4.0 out of 5 stars They are cute little shoes, May 12, 2007
vop "rp04549" (Superior, NE United States) - See all my reviews
My granddaughter loves them, I was a little disappointed by the sizing. The sizing chart said that L was a 9 and it actually turned out that they were 8-9.

2.0 out of 5 stars Blisters if wear for long period of time, July 5, 2011
This review is from: Speedo Surfwalker Pro Water Shoe (Toddler) (Shoes)
Got S for my 14 months old, who wears size 5 or 5.5 wide right now and L for my almost 4 year old, who wears 8.5 or 9.

Initially, they were just using the shoes during daycare splash days and the teachers all liked them... However, when we took them to a water park and experienced them ourselves, we did not like the shoes at all.

For my 14 months old, she got a wide feet and we find it very difficult to put the shoes on. Took us a few tries to find ticks to get her feet in without getting her little toe caught and bend backwards, causing her to scream and kick.

My 4 year old shoes was easy to put on but it was a little big. Got about 1 finger size room...

After two days at water park, we find both kids got blisters on their right feet (both right handed kids). The blisters are in the arch, which is a odd place to get one.

My older one wasn't as bad, probably because her shoes was bigger. My 14 months old shoes was a good fit, but her blister was a bad one.

I think the shoes are good for 1 to 2 hrs use, maybe to and from the swimming pool but not one that wears while playing in the water.

2.0 out of 5 stars The sizing chart is wrong, August 18, 2011
This review is from: Speedo Surfwalker Pro Water Shoe (Toddler) (Shoes)
The sizing chart indicated that a size 5 Toddler is 4.75 inches long. However, when I ordered these, the 5T size was longer than 6 inches. I had to return the shoe, because it was too big for my toddler.
Do not trust the sizing chart on the shoe. The shoe itself looks nice, but unfortunately, I didnt get to try it out on my child.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gave my daughter sores on her feet., January 30, 2013
She has worn water shoes multiple times in the past, these rubbed her poor little feet raw in one day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Pool Shoe, October 9, 2008
Bought these for our 15 month old daughter to play at the pool and not slip on the cement. These were great - easy to put on and our daughter loved them. However, the adjustable elastic to hold them onto her foot pulled right out after only wearing a short while. Thankfully, we received a replacement but was disappointed with the initial pair breaking.

Speedo Surfwalker Pro Water Shoe (Toddler)
$19.95 $16.11 - $35.00