Most helpful positive review
1,008 of 1,014 people found the following review helpful
A fitting guide for those unsure (at the bottom)
on October 31, 2009
Alright, I went out on a limb when I bought this because, let's be realistic: one cannot hope to find a bathing suit at the end of the October for a good price. Enter: Amazon. I just got this bathing suit last week, and I have to say it is great. I am a 'more-than-average swimmer', I go swimming 3-4 times a week, even during the winter months (I swim in an indoor pool...).
1. Very happy with the slimming of this new bathing suit as compared to my worn and stretched-out version (and also 'see-thru' spots where the chlorine got to it). It slims down the body very well and makes the legs look lengthy (something I need since I have short legs)
2. Since I swim in an indoor pool, it is, of course, a public pool with a high chlorine content. I chose to go with Blue instead of Black (because black, it seems to me, is more easily able to see the chlorine effects after a period of time), and so far the fabric seems to be holding up just fine against the outrageous chlorine content of the public pool.
3. I didn't buy this suit for style: I bought it because I needed something that I could wear 4 times a week at the gym. If you are looking for something stylish (and possibly low-cut), look elsewhere. But I needed a bathing suit that wouldn't 'ride down' when I was swimming, and this one is high-cut, which is just what I need to keep the ladies in place while I swim.
1. Amazon is usually very fast with their shipping. I don't know if it is the time of year and I'm buying a stupid bathing suit or what, but the shipping this time was about 7-8 days, where usually it is about 3-4 days. If you need one quickly and it is during the 'not normal time' to buy a bathing suit in your corner of the universe, then I would go with the 1-2 day shipping or get it somewhere else.
2. Sizing. Oh boy. Let me just say this: if you are "pear-shaped", go with one size up from your cup size. I bought a 36 but I'm having a hard time getting my ass into it, next time I think I will go with the 38 and see how that turns out.
Of course, anything can help at this point, right? When you click on the "Sizing Chart", it gives you a sizing chart for Amazon.com, and NOT for Speedo. Don't even bother going to the Speedo website (unless you live outside the US, I mean), because it gives the whole sizing chart in centimeters, ugh. Speedo sizing chart can be found here:
Amazon doesn't let me post the website but it is Dick's Sporting Goods store, go to google and type in this (leave out the quotes):
"dicks womens bathing suit sizing chart"
Start with your bra size as a baseline, and adjust up or down depending on your waistline (or butt-line, in my case).
UPDATE 7/1/2010 - First: Thanks everyone for the 'helpful' votes! Didn't realize buying a bathing suit online was so popular! Second: I have been using this bathing suit, as I said in my review, 3-4 times a week at the gym. It it just now starting to show signs of 'stretching' in certain places, but I stand by my review I made back in October: get this bathing suit! Although in my review it says to order 'one size up', I think I am going to order a 36 again, because it does stretch (eventually) around the butt-area after a few uses. I actually logged in to buy another suit, and imagine my surprise when I came to this page: the review I made a year ago is at the top! Thanks for the votes! :)
UPDATE 6/17/2011 - I should really visit Amazon more often, thanks for the upvotes, everyone! :) Since I posted this review a few years ago, I have bought approximately 4 bathing suits (same suit, Speedo) from Amazon. The first two I stretched out from swimming in a public swimming pool (as stated above). I used one blue one and one black one. The black one, it seemed to me, was more easily able to 'stretch out' after only a few months' worth of using. Just an FYI, but I would definitely use this suit as a backup and/or for swimming on a more regular basis at the gym -
LAST AND FINAL UPDATE 1/21/2013 - WOW. Speedo should be wondering what all the fuss is about over their bathing suit. When I first wrote this, there was zero help online for fitting guides for bathing suits, and this bathing suit had one or two reviews. Now with over 250 reviews, I think I should write a letter to Speedo and ask them for a free suit, for all these new customers that I potentially brought in! As for the bathing suit: I don't go swimming anymore at the gym. The last one I bought, back in June of 2012, works great as a back-up bathing suit when I go to the beach, and sometimes I wear it as my regular bathing suit, too. It's slimming and fits great. I still buy the 36 size, as it does stretch out in the butt-area after a few uses. I also only buy the Blue/Navy one now, as it seems to keep its shape longer than the black.
People also ask me what I buy to workout with. I use this cap (http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-751104-Silicone-Swim-Cap/dp/B00074USZQ/), and these goggles (http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-Womens-Vanquisher-Swim-Goggle/dp/B00074USP6/), both by Speedo. I have reviews on those products, too, if you look at my review history!
Thanks again for the Helpful Votes, and thanks especially to Amazon for letting me spread the word about buying a bathing suit online. Don't be afraid, ladies! And don't forget to review your purchases!