Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Rolling Stones: Let's Spend The Night Together [DVD]
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on July 7, 2005
Anyone who has been to a Rolling Stones concert in the last 15 years, will watch this document of the Stones 1981 tour and probably claim that this wasn't their finest moment. But I, who prefer bands when they are raw and slightly imperfect live, absolutely love this release. I've actually never seen a DVD of this, and I just recently came across a used version on VHS. I hadn't seen it since it aired on television in late 1982, and it still is as good now as it was then.

What you get here is the Stones without 5 backup singers and a dozen guys on horns. Backup vocals are actually still being sung by Keith, and to a lesser extent, Ron Wood, and the difference from say, watching 4 Flicks (another excellent product) is that you really feel like you're just watching the band play, and not listening to some engineer at a mixing board. Keith looks haggered and obviously is not completely past his drug days, but he rocks relentlessly, and we get a smoking version of one of his best tunes, "Little T n' A". Mick runs around the stage like a wildman, and his vocals are all Mick. No echo, no, ahem, enhancement, that many artists these days use in concert. There's obviously not been any overdubs in the studio for this film. You have wonderfully stripped down versions of "Under My Thumb", "Shattered", "Beast of Burden", among many of their classics. You have songs from the early 80's era, that are overlooked in concert today- "Black Limosine", "Waiting on a Friend", "Hang Fire" and one of their best tunes from those days, "She's So Cold".

Yes, the playing is a bit sloppy. But, they play with passion and grit, and they seem to be having fun, despite the fact that Mick and Keith weren't getting along particularly well at the time. I highly recommend this little piece of early 80's rock and cinema!
44 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2005
The STONES before they became a self-parody! This was filmed in 1981-1982, and they sound like a rock'n'punk band. They look GREAT, too, especially KEEF!! This DVD is an absolute MUST for every STONES fan. Some may be taken aback by the raw sound and lack of special effects in a stadium tour, but this was before the band was adding back-up singers and banks of horns, THANK GOD! If you wanna know what The Rolling Stones REALLY sound like, THIS is it!!! The picture quality is VERY good and the sound is great - much better than I thought it would be, considering the age of this concert tour. Didn't think this would ever come out on DVD, so I'm thrilled!
on February 19, 2005
This was a very exciting release for The Rolling Stones in 1982. It was released in theatres in the US and was great on the big screen. They played it loud & it was as close to the band as you could get at the time. I for one had a great time watching it & the packed theatre was screaming for more!

The Stones Played Live & Raw...And The Energy Was certainly There! Jagger Alone was Running at least three miles a Show! It was A kick ass tour and They Learned Alot From that tour about playing in huge stadiums & making adjustments to deliver the sound (especially in stadiums).They know better than most that there's alot of ways to deliver a tune & That Tour was a learning experience for many bands to follow. Four Flicks Wouldn't be as great if it were not for this ground breaking tour..(Live & Learn)

The Year: 1981 / The Album: Tatto You / The Tour:The Rolling Stones Playing Live Raw Rock n Roll (In Huge Stadiums)..Not An Easy Task!
on October 31, 2010
I've waited 10 years for this movie to come out on DVD, and THIS is the cover they give it? A low-grade cutout bin-looking thing that is further cheapened with a subtitle like "Greatest Hits Live"? What happened to the great movie poster that graced the cover of the VHS version?

Having said that, the content is excellent, capturing the Stones on what I consider to be the last of their "sloppy" tours, before they regrouped, cleaned up completely (Richards was off the smack by the time of this one, but Wood was heavy into free-basing throughout this period), and started doing overly polished and professional tours supported by an army of side musicians and background singers. There's merits to both periods, and perhaps this is a little too ramshackle for some, but it is a great, high energy concert that delivers hit after hit, particularly if you're a fan of the "Tattoo You" and "Some Girls" albums (in my mind, the two best discs they've ever done).

The garish early 80's pastels, Jagger's soccer pads, Ron Wood looking like he just got through auditioning for the Sex Pistols or something, Wyman in his track suit...it's an image of the Stones you'd never seen before or since, and it makes for an exciting concert. Just get rid of that horrendous cover.
on May 24, 2013
This is AT LEAST the second DVD of LSTNT I have purchased, this one the "official" Lions Gate release. I was excited that it got widescreen treatment, but the transfer is the same as the Spanish version I bought 10 years ago -- too f***ing FAST!! The 81 tour was energetic enough at normal speed, but sped up, this is just plain ridiculous and an insult to the film.

All of the songs are a half step sharp, so that means "Let Me Go," "Neighbours," "Goin' to a Go-Go" are in the key of F, as opposed to proper in E.

All of those great songs we loved from "Some Girls" that are supposed to be in A are in B flat.

You would think that someone at Lions Gate would have caught this and slowed down the film to proper speed digitally.

This is NOT the film I loved in my youth. This is an absolute insult to the film.
on May 9, 2011
The Rolling Stones at this concert recording have been playing for a long time. They are successful and known around the world. They are stage smart and well tuned into their audience's desire to have a great time. Mick is dancing and singing his soul and heart out. Keith is laid back and powerful as in past concerts and as he knows he will be in the future.

Charlie's bald spot shines in this performance and seems never to be seen again on film. I think Charlie drives the music with a style that everyone depends on, the fans and the band. Ronnie Wood keeps the life on the stage and at one time is running around with Mick on stage and is funny as hell. With two keyboard players the sound is incredible and is right for the time period. Most of the Sax playing is done by a guy I have never really seen playing with the Stones (he's really good). Bobby Keys is seen playing later in the film. Bobby is my man when it comes to Sax.

This is a great play for a Rolling Stones collection of concerts and I have a good collection of their DVD concerts. If you want something you can call your friends over to have a great time, this is the piece. Don't be expecting big lights and back up singers. Just expect great tunes that you love and know. Your neighbors will want to know why there was all that loud screaming last night.

I'm a 40 year fan and I love em.
on February 26, 2012
I purchased this on a lark, in part because I wanted to show my wife how campy Mick was back in the day (this opinion based on reviews I've read here). Imagine my surprise when I put this thing in on my MacBook and beheld an incredibly well-shot view of the early-80s Stones. Knowing what I now know, this turns out to be the capstone on their legendary live performing career -- everything after this was pure tribute (and I write that based on having run across "Steel Wheelchairs" on PBS one night a few months back -- really pro forma, that one and everything since, it's Stones spelled out for the masses, for anyone not smart enough to figure it out for themselves, and thus not really art at all). That's part of what makes this movie so good, it has none of the self-consciousness and micro-attention to spelled-out detail of their later tours and films (see: "Shine a Light"). The camera in this film is unblinking, which means the editor just let the scenes roll along and speak for themselves -- and they are nice, long scenes, from some really outstanding angles that get us close without being too close, and sometimes just far enough away to see what they were up to. No jumbo-trons, very few big effects, really -- just a great rock band doing their thing. I really got a sense from looking at this what the Stones were like in concert on that tour, which seems to have been the closest in their late-modern phase ('75-on) to being great in concert while also having some decent product in the record stores and on the radio. This was really it for them and for us -- and I regret being part of the group that probably drove them into their later incarnation, which was perfectly executed live and not very memorable on record.
on April 30, 2005
It is a great document of the Stones from the "Tattoo You" tour, and hope they put this one in the theaters if they ever rerelease it on DVD. It's also kind of funny to see Mick Jagger dressed up like he's getting ready to work out to the Jane Fonda Workout video.

It's a well-filmed concert film for the early 80s, but am I the only one who thought their last tour they sounded better than they have in years?

Hopefully they'll put out a legit version (this one's a grey area import)that also includes the videos "Going to a Go Go" and "Time is on My Side" shot for the "Still Life" album, and put both in a CD/DVD combo pack with hopefully extra songs.

There is a lot of Stones footage yet to be released. A couple of them are Charlie is My Darling (from the 65 tour), Ladies and Gentlemen (from the Exile on Main St tour), and the infamous "cult classic" whose name I cannot write here, as well as the promos and TV appearances over the past 40 years, some of which is on the long out of print "Video Rewind".
on December 6, 2013
I remember seeing this at the theater and thought , " Wow these guys look as old as my dad!" Good representation of the Stones tour in 1981 that supported the Tattoo You album. To us, they looked old, but in this film you can see the band was in it's heyday.

Very fun movie, one of my favorite concert videos.
on November 9, 2010
As bizarre and varied as the 80's music scene was, the Stones remained a force. This film captures the period perfectly. Straight rock n roll, no back up singers or 12 piece back up band, the Stones crank it out with high energy in your face rock. Ron Woods never played better, his solo on "you cant always" is nothing short of devastating. The band looks like they are having a blast, even Bill Wyman cracks a smile watchin Mick dance. 23 songs clocking in at 87 mins is a great deal for this dvd. Just a lot of fun to watch this again.