Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
I had heard from my father and sister that "Sphere" was very good and extremely well made so I decided to first check out the reviews on it. I was a little surprised to see such mixed reviews, one half saying how horrible and cheesy it was, while another half was proclaiming how wonderful, exciting, and worth watching it was. So what else was I to do but see for myself what "Sphere" is like? Which I did and I thought it was an excellent film.
I myself have never read Michael Crichton's novel "Sphere" (I guess that's next) so I cannot say whether the movie is true to the book or whether the book was better than the movie or vice versa. But I myself found the story very intriguing, from the mysterious origin of the spacecraft and the sphere to the events which take place in the crew's habitat.Read more ›
Sphere does take a turn in the Horror direction, but not far enough to disappoint me. The premise is like "Galaxy Of Terror" under the sea. It's about a team of scientists, including Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone, and Samuel L. Jackson, led by top secret Peter Coyote to investigate a spacecraft found under the ocean. They quickly discover it's a spacecraft from Earth's future, apparently temporally displaced (dis-timed?) to Earth's past - but with a clearly alien artifact on board: The sphere. It seems the sphere enables or causes some of the team to manifest their fears in their undersea base.
However, it remains closer to true sci-fi than pure horror. The ideas have all been done, in classics like Forbidden Planet, where Dr. Morbius manifests the monster from his Id through alien technology, Voyage To The End Of The Universe, Galaxy Of Terror, and even the old pulp story "Time Wants A Skeleton" by Ross Rocklynne, and so on. Here it's all arranged in a well-constructed plot, kept moving with fast action, kept believable by the competent actors. And if you prefer Horror movies like Leviathan, the remake of The Thing, etc., you probably won't be dissapointed either.
1) The acting was actually pretty good. I'm not a huge Dustin Hoffman fan, but I felt that his acting in this was just as good as any of the other performances I've seen from him. Liev Schreiber actually gets the best lines with the helium induced vocals in a chamber the main characters entered; followed by a really amusing helium induced refrain from Samuel L. Jackson. That's about the only humor in the film.
2) The sets were terrific. I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised.
3) The special effects were well done.
4) There was enough suspense to keep me interested.
5) It has a great cast of big name stars (Sharon Stone, Samuel L. Jackson, Dustin Hoffman), some well-known supporting stars like Liev Schreiber and Queen Latifah, as well as a minor cameo appearance by Huey Lewis as the helicopter pilot.
So with these elements, what could be wrong with this movie? Well, for starters, the ending, like in so many science fiction films, does not seem to know where to go. It was a bit of a letdown. So the script needed a more intense bang-up ending. And I guess that's the main problem here; the script. While the dialogue was not half bad, where the story takes us is rather bland. I had a sort of "been there, done that" feeling at times throughout the film.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The book was awful and the movie was just as bad if not even worse. the whole premise of the movie is that nothing literally happens. Read morePublished 25 days ago by kelly Groce
Interesting, and suspenseful, but it all falls apart at the end; it just becomes a confusing mess.Published 1 month ago by Joseph Riley
A great movie for those who have never seen it. It will keep you guessing.Published 2 months ago by Stephanie E. Horn
Five individuals with New York minds try to be characters in a SF movie. Terrible.Published 3 months ago by Knight Rain
I actually enjoyed this film. I can see why some will not. The movie is a slow burn thriller, with a nice twist ending. The acting is all very good and execution. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Jacob purvis
Of course the book was better so see the movie first! The story in of itself is a fascinating concept with much suspense throughout both on a psychological level and on an action... Read morePublished 3 months ago by Halfnote
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Drama
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Sci-Fi & Fantasy