Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sphero Robotic Ball - iOS and Android Controlled Gaming System - White
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on January 26, 2012
I orded this product as a gift for a 6th grader and upon receiving it, I wanted to charge it and download the games so I can show how it works after the gift is opened. I'm not going to wrap it.

Who would have known I would have so much fun with a remote controlled device. The technology in this thing is amazing. I downloaded three apps from itunes - Sphero, Drive and Draw and Drive and subsequently paired it fairly easily via bluetooth. It's recommended you charge it first for a few hours before playing with it, I did for an hour and then was too anxious to try it out, so started to play with it. By the way the inductive charging is great, you roll the ball so the heaviest part of the ball is on the bottom (probably the robot inside) and place on the charging stand and viola, you're charging.

Sphero is the starter app that allows you to initially pair with your iPhone or any iOS device (most Android stuff too) and allows you change colors of the ball, decide how fast you want it to go and few other first time tips and tricks to get you familiar with everything. Drive allows you to, well, drive. This is incredibly fun and I found myself walking throughout the house driving this little ball around - through chairs, around tables, down hallways, even down steps and few stairs. I have few dogs and they were going nuts trying to figure this ball out. My little dog would chase it around the big dog would run from it. There's another app you can download that I believe allows you to video your dog while they chase the ball that you drive around and then you can post your videos to the internet. I'll try that this weekend. The last app I tried was Draw and Drive. For you folks that remember the etch a sketch, same concept, Draw what every you want, a figure eight, parabola, square and Sphero follows your path. Shake your iPhone and you have a clean slate again to draw something else. I signed my name as if it was a signature and the Sphero did some type of rain dance as it was all over the place, but kept the path fairly close.

There's a few more apps to download and apparently more on on the way like, golf, etc. I can't wait to try more out this weekend, for now I'll have to put it away before I spend all day playing with it. I've ordered another Sphero for the 6th grader, I can't wait for his birthday now so I can beat him in race around the house. I feel like a little kid again.
on September 6, 2012
Fun lil toy to fool around with. I Don't have any pets but I imagine this would be a great pet toy. Still, its entertaining. If I had one suggestion I'd suggest to have an autonomous mode so it just freely drives around on its own
on May 20, 2012
I bought this on pre-release and have to say I think people are being a little unfair about the product. I have been building my own macros on this thing, and it is very fun to program. People buy it move it back and forward and say it's rubbish. It takes practise and time to master how the ball works and the new game chromo really shows all the programmers out there what can be done with this thing. If you like gadgets and want to be part of the new wave of gadget toys buy this and start learning how it works, before sending it back, or calling it rubbish, you might just find like I have that there is more to this gadget than a ball with flashing lights that moves back and forward with an iPhone/smart phone. Buy one and give it ago and try and programming it. You might just see as I have that there is more to this little robot ball then you first thought.
on August 21, 2014
It was fun to play around with in the office for a week or two but lost its enjoyability shortly after. Ended up giving this to a co-worker's kid and from my understanding he still plays with it around the house. It's taking a good amount of abuse (him rolling it down stairs, bouncing off walls, using it in their fish pond) and is still going strong. With that said, KID approved! not so much for Adults.
on February 19, 2016
I got Sphero as a Christmas gift this year. After seeing all of the product videos and ads advertising this special ball, I had to have it. When I opened the gift wrap, the product wowed me. I had never seen product packaging for a remote control vehicle like this before. It is very modern, pleasing to the eyes, and isn't some cheap Chinese junk like the other RC vehicles I've owned before.

When opening up the product, I found that it came with 6 items:
A charging cable (roughly 4 feet in length)
A wireless charging station (Elegant, not tacky, and comes with some small rubber pads on the bottom to keep it from slipping)
A Plastic Dome (I still have yet to figure out what this does, it doesn't seem to contribute to anything on the product in charging and play)
Instruction Manuel (Very easy to read)
Some laminated-like cards that gave suggestions on how to play with the ball
And of course, the ball itself.

(Scroll down for Pros and Cons) The ball was ready to go right out of the box, and I played with it for a good 45 minutes before it needed a charge. One of my favorite 'simple' things about this ball is that it charges easily. You can place the ball anyway you like, and it will automatically orient itself so that the charging pad in the ball is lined up with the charging pad in the station. No hassle! Plus, the ball emits a soft glow of color when placed in the pad, letting the user know that it has started to charge. No cords, no plugs, and no fidgeting makes this product easy to charge and use, and I was pleasantly satisfied with the operation.

When I went on the app store to download the sphero app, I found two things. Firstly, multiple apps exist for this ball (Not all of them free sadly) but each app is easy to use, bug free, and looks really cool. One of my all time favorite things about this product is the amount of features and unlockable you can get with Sphero. With Sphero's primary app, you can do the basic things (Driving, 'Turbo Mode', color selection (The ball has every color in the rainbow and more!) as well as orienting the ball with the device. But, when you start completing the available missions available for Shpero, like trying to smash him into walls to rid him of 'biohazardous gunk' obtained on another planet, you gain points which allow Sphero to level up his abilities and features. Disco ball (making Sphero change colors while driving), Jump (he literally jumps when rolling), and many other abilities are unlockable the more you drive, play, and maneuver Sphero. Sphero's speed is customizable, meaning that you can have him roll faster or slower depending on your mood or preference. There are so many more options, it's amazing how all this stuff fits into this little ball.

Pros and Cons of Sphero:

Pros:
Elegant and sleek design, not tacky.
Packaging is great
Apps coming with Sphero are easy to use and offer lots of functions
Color changing using the LED lights is a great option, the brightness can even be changed.
No hassle charging
No hassle software updates (Connect him over bluetooth and he can upgrade the software)
Large range, he can travel over 200 feet without the user moving from their position.
Waterproof

Cons:

Expensive
Sphero's controls require you to walk behind it or sit in one place, otherwise the controls get wonky.
Accessories can also be expensive
Suprisingly, I found no more cons for this vehicle
Supposedly doesn't take shock well, but you shouldn't be dropping your RC vehicles anyway.

All in all, one of the best RC vehicles I've received or purchased. The Functionality, abilities, look, and feel of Sphero make it awesome. You can't beat it, but I wish the price was lower.
on September 3, 2012
Held out on buying my own Sphero because this is kinda expensive. My friend had one and he let me use his, but I bought one when they announced more new apps. Just played the Color Grab app - very cool as is, but probably cooler as a drinking game with friends!
on December 30, 2012
I have had some moments though, when the sphero will not sync with the cell phone and won't work at all, but after shutting both down and up again, they'll connect. Good to play with cats and little kids.
on February 23, 2013
I've gotten a few of these I'm the last year and loved them. At first glance, it's fun.. But what are going to do with a robot ball? Until you realize it's fully programmable via the Macro Lab app. You can make it roll, change direction, change color, and go nuts. This works really well in educational environments for kids because there's nothing cooler than making things move.

Then you realize that it does have to just be an output device controlled by a phone or iPad.. You can you the Sphero as the controller. Last Fish (controlling a fish on the screen using the Sphero) is a simple game at first.
on December 30, 2012
I got this for my GF and i to use with our dog and we love it. It was easy to use and charges quickly. the app for the iPad and iPhone work easily & well. Its a lot of fun for you to see the dog swat and chase after it but I would recommend it for large dogs or dogs with powerful jaws. all in all def worth the cash
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 8, 2013
Well, this is something you really don't need and it is a pure fun item to have. I bought it for my daughter and (myself) for the summer escapades. The setting up portion and using bluetooth can be a pain. I had tough time with my ASUS Fonepad. It is something in its bluetooth stack, I believe. No issues with Samsung Galaxy Note 2 or Galaxy S4.

Once setup, dim your lights. Changing colors of the ball to virtually anything and too from a phone screen. In a different time period, this would have been pure MAGIC. Well, we can't cheat our kids these days. Moving the ball around is great for kids. To some extend, after playing with RC controlled toys like cars/helicopters which are far less expensive kids don't get super excited. I demoed multiple apps for Sphero and my daughter is definitely hooked. The fun happens when there are multiple kids around. Definitely a geeky obsession.