Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

on December 12, 2011
I must admit, I was slightly wary of this book in the beginning. I don't tend to read many of the books aimed at girls my age because, despite a seemingly intriguing plotline, they usually degenerate into sappy romances, which I deplore. This, however, was different. It was a romance, yes, but it was about so much more than that! It was about Nefertiti and her growth from a girl running away from her life to a woman strong enough to stand her ground and face it.
One of the best aspects of this book, in my opinion, is the characters. There is such a wide cast, and I grew to love all of them in the end, even Thutmose, who began as the most annoying, spoiled brat. There's Nava, the Jewish slave, who often testifies her faith in the One, Amenophis, who is sweet and gentle and wise, Sitamun, who, like her mother, Queen Tiye, is a strong, persistent woman, and of course, Nefertiti herself, a girl who is beautiful, intelligent, and courageous enough to stand up for herself even when Pharaoh, the god-on-earth, is doubtful of her word and her aunt would destroy her at the first opportunity.
Nefertiti's journey throughout the book is one of danger and excitement, love and loneliness, doubt and victory, revenge and forgiveness. She's a remarkable character, and the love of her circle of friends is her greatest source of strength.
Then there was the story...I laughed and I cried, and the author even managed to coax a gasp out of me at parts. I was hooked, and for the most part, didn't put the book down until I had finished it.
It was a great read, and definitely one that I would recommend!
on June 13, 2011
Nefertiti and Amenophis are on the run. They're desperately trying to escape from Prince Thutmose. Together with an ex-slave, they're floating down the river in an attempt to reach the Pharaoh.

They must reach the Pharaoh in order to clear Nefertiti 's name. After much hardship and a little luck, they reach his side, only to discover that Prince Thutmose has beaten them there. Now, Nefertiti must stand before the Pharaoh and clear herself from the false charges thrown her way by the Prince.

It doesn't help that she has fallen in love with Amenophis - the Prince's brother. It also doesn't help that the Pharaoh himself is in awe of her beauty. She must prove herself before the gods.

How will Nefertiti prove her innocence? With so many people against her, is it possible for her to have a happy ending?

I love Esther Friesner's strong historical female characters, and Nefertiti doesn't disappoint readers. For much of the book, Nefertiti remains isolated, even heartbroken. Still, she manages to gather strength for herself and to instill strength in others. Despite all the hardships she must endure, the author imagines the character as both powerful and vulnerable.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Rummel
on January 30, 2013
I am so glad that I finally gave this series a try. Back in December I finally got around to reading and reviewing the first novel and this one turned out to be my second read of 2013 and it really kicked off the year for me.

This book continues exactly where the first book Sphinx's Princess left off, and I mean exactly, the two novels flowed seamlessly from the first book to the second which I really appreciated because it sucks to have to pick a story back up again when the author has lost the flow.

Anyway, in book two we find Nefertiti still running for her life and battling the feelings she has for her fiance's brother as well as the responsibilities to a young slave girl who depends on the two of them for her very survival. Ancient Egypt was no place for a nine year old to be running around lost and alone so Nefertiti and Amenophis try to hide their feelings for each other for her sake.

The journey that they're on proves to be hazardous and fraught with danger, deception, betrayal, love and adventure. I loved that there was so much happening in the book and that the whole novel was a delight to read. I really enjoyed the historical aspect of it since I've always enjoyed Ancient Egyptian history.

Sphinx's Queen was an exotic, entertaining and extremely well developed piece of young adult historical fiction. I thought the characters had a lot more dimension to them than they did in the first book. Nefertiti and Amenophis' relationship evolves dramatically in this book and both of them mature rather quickly in terms of their characters.

What I think I liked most about the book though was the fact that Nefertiti was represented as a strong willed, independent and intelligent young woman who would risk anything for justice to be upheld. I don't see that very often in books but it is wonderful when I come across a book where the author shows that young women can stand on their own two feet.

The characters, plot and writing were fantastic and I loved Sphinx's Queen even more than I loved Sphinx's Princess which I wasn't expecting at all. I really enjoyed how the events in this one turned out and the ending was just perfect for me. It left me feeling the the two books came full circle and left me feeling satisfied with the outcome.

I would highly recommend this novel to those who really enjoy young adult historical fiction but remember this is the second book and you have to read the first book to really follow along the story. I think this author will go on my favourites list and I can't wait to read her other works.
on June 23, 2014
The sequel to Sphinx's Princess, Sphinx's Queen picks up right where the previous novel left off with Nefertiti, Amenophis, and Nava on the run from the palace and Thutmose. They are on their way to Dendera to seek an audience with Pharoah, who will hopefully pardon Nefertiti for the crimes she's accused of and allow her and Amenophis to have a romantic relationship. Nefertiti soon realizes however that she shouldn't underestimate the ambition of her Aunt Tiye and the lengths she will go to in order to secure the throne for her son, Thutmose, and that everything will not be resolved as easily as she had hoped.

I enjoyed this book more than the first one, as this one has a lot more action in the plot and takes the reader to different locations in Egypt. While still written for a younger audience, this one held the older reader's attention a bit more with some romance, as well as Nefertiti growing up herself and choosing her life's path in the face of adversity. A great way to start younger teens on history and historical fiction.
on January 9, 2011
This book keeps you intrested and you will want to read it all day! The girls that read Sphinx princess will love this seqel!
on November 13, 2011
I've read many books in my time, but I can honestly say this is one of the best. The plot was so well planned out that I couldn't put it down- hence why I finished it in four days! Even though it took place in ancient times, the characters were relatable enough that I learned to love every one of them. The lost three chapters had me in tears, laughter, and in stunned amazement. Great job, Esther Friesner!
on November 23, 2012
This book is definitely made for pre-teens. Its very appropriate for the age group. Its not a very accurate portrayal of ancient Egypt, but it definitely kept me entertained and I'm not a pre-teen. Its the second book of a two-part series and I had previously read the first book Sphinx's Princess. I think you do need to read them together because this one finishes the story of Nefertiti. Enjoyable.
on June 10, 2011
The two books on Nefertiti's childhood and teenage years were fascinating. Knowing who Nefertiti becomes as an adult, I was interested in her growing up years. The book shows her unique personality and who she loved and patterned her life after. I would like the author to write a sequel of her life as the queen being married to Akhenaten,the heratic pharaoh.
on August 11, 2014
The Sphinx's Queen was a suiting conclusion to a epic series. It made me love all the supporting and main characters more! Friesner does an amazing job making lovable yet realistic characters. I would totally recommend this series to any of my friends!
on November 17, 2013
Excellent book! I will read it again. Suspense, love, and a good ending! I love that is it real characters from history with a creative fictional story that is funny, sad, exciting, and entertaining! hard to put the book down!