5.0 out of 5 stars OK...

Published on September 3, 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars OK..., March 21, 2000
"kristen_mcmenamy_fan" (a farm town that I hate living in) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spice (Audio CD)
I don't know where I went wrong. I am not a pop music fan at ALL. In fact I listen to heavy metal. No, seriously! I like Pantera and Metallica and Nirvana (more grunge than metal though), etc., but for some reason I also like the Spice Girls. I have all of their albums, solo albums, and a lot of their solo import singles, too. They are sitting right in between Soundgarden and Testament CDs. The Spice album has something different than other pop acts. Spice Girls albums are ones I just can't bring myself to throw away. Sometimes I can hardly believe I own this kind of music, but I listen to it, I like it, and I am sick of people branding Spice Girls fans as poppy teenage girls! Well, I AM a teenage girl, but I'm more gothic than preppie or poppy. Spice is an album MANY people will like if they can give it a chance. I don't know how anyone can listen to some of these songs and honestly say it's airheaded B.S.! The thing is, be open-minded and listen to it without thinking, "These are the Spice Girls. Bubblegum pop. No! Bad!" This is like saying some type of food is gross when you've never even tryed it! I HATE when people do that...

5.0 out of 5 stars Always A Classic, July 8, 2003
This review is from: Spice (Audio CD)
I remember the first time I heard Wannabe on the radio -- I was hooked. In 8th grade at the time and looking for style and attitude, I found it in these five wonderful young girls. Emma (Baby Spice), Mel C (Sporty Spice), Victoria (Posh Spice), Geri (Ginger Spice), and Mel B (Scary Spice) all had distinct personalities and their music was fun and exciting. They were the biggest thing in Britain since the Beatles, and it didn't take long for them to conquer the rest of the planet, including the picky USA. This album is a classic, and I think everybody should have it in their collection. More memorable than any other Spice album, it will truly make an impression. Here's the play by play for this album, "Spice":

Wannabe:
Tell me whatcha want, whatcha really really want -- Wannabe Wannabe Wannabe! Who hasn't heard this song? Of course, we all had our own made-up versions of the rap break, all with different words and different styles. If you haven't heard this song, it's the perfect girl-power, good-timey, happy and perky thing, coated with spice and sugar as well. Each of the girls gets their own section to sing and Geri and Mel B battle on the rap intro, with Mel C shouting 'hu'! Arguably their best song ever, "Wannabe" is a classic radio tune and can still be heard today. 10/10

Say You'll Be There:
If I'm not mistaken, this single actually outsold "Wannabe" (and "Wannabe" was #1 in 32 countries!). This began the heigth of the girls' careers and in this song each girl got an identity, with Emma as Kung Fu Candy and Geri as Trixie Firecracker etc. The girls, having firmly made their own real-life identities well known by this time, played with them to create even bigger alter-egos. Not as hyped or as loud as "Wannabe", "Say You'll Be There" was a bit slower but didn't lack for in-your-face lyrics. Another classic with a harmonica solo, it's still fun and spunky. 10/10

2 Become 1:
With this song, the boys could like it and that's what helped make it so big. This was the first big ballad the girls did, and it helped make them bigger as singers and not just celebrities. They could actually show off more of their vocal talent than just vamp around singing short and sweet lyrics. Highlights of this song are the string arrangement and the chorus, which is soulful but not shrewd. A very nice love song with an important part for every girl, "2 Become 1" was another #1 for the Spices. 10/10

Love Thing:
A lot of people didn't care much for this song, but what made it good was the rap done by every girl in the bridge section. A bit more disco but not any less spicy, the girls make it clear in this song that they aren't playing around. Though this song was never the best concerning instruments, it still makes its mark. 9/10

Last Time Lover:
I always thought this song was one of the best, simply because Mel B sings very low in it, which makes it a sexy and va-va-voomish type song. Another fun thing about this song is the chorus, in which they sing "do you think I'm really cool and sexy?" Very fun, very Spice Girls-ish. Instrumentally I like the guitars in this song. 10/10

Mama:
Aww, a song for their mommies. Who hasn't done a song for those special ladies? This song also went to #1 and gave the girls a deeper side as apposed to their craziness. Like "2 Become 1", this song has some beautiful string sections, which makes it a lovely ballad. 9/10

Who Do You Think You Are:
Now THIS is a classic disco type song. Complete with quick lyrics and a raspy singing Geri, this song is just plain fun with warped guitars and fast paced brass. The video, with it's crazy and colorful presentation, helped define the girls' individuality that much more. 10/10

Something Kinda Funny:
Originally set to be the girls' first single, this tune has a sensual disposition hidden within jazzy music and soft teasing vocals. It's simple, stylish, and catchy. Despite it's appeal however, it's much more mature than "Wannabe", and while that doesn't make it any less good, it's not nearly as fun. However, it's nice to hear the girls taking a different approach. 9/10

Naked:
After seeing this song title, two words came to mind: Janet Jackson. But it is hardly anything shrewd and actually portrays a very thought-provoking concept. I would actually call this the most soulful song on the entire album. It's beautifully written, wonderfully sung and simply emits maturity. Stylistically, it falls somewhere between a spanish ballad and a jazzclub number. 10/10

If U Can't Dance:
The Spices close out their debut in grand style with this fantastic dance number! With a sliding bassline, raps by both Mel B and Geri (rapping in Spanish), and a great beat, many have called this their favorite track on "Spice". It leaves you wanting more. 10/10

Normally, I'm not a big fan of albums with only 10 tracks on them. But somehow, it works for the Spices, helping the public to remember not to take them too seriously. It really gives off the impression that the girls are in it for a good time, and that perfectly compliments their carefree and infectious personalities. The album clocks in at around 40 minutes total, but that's okay, because you can just listen to "Wannabe" again sooner.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Spice Girls CD, October 6, 2002
This review is from: Spice (Audio CD)
I was a huge Spice Girls fan back in 1996/1997/1998. Then Geri quit the group and I lost faith in them. Spiceworld is brilliant too, but their debut album has to be the best.
Rundown:
1. Wannabe
Need I say much? EVERYONE knows this song. It was the girls first single, and a brill one at that. I'm sick of it now, but the chorus is very catchy. 5/5
2. Say You'll Be There
I LOVE this live. It sounds so great. It was the Spice Girls' second single. I love Mel C's backings at the end, and Emma's first verse. The video is funny and overall the song is very cool. 5/5
3. 2 Become 1
The first ballad you encounter on the CD. It was the Christmas #1 in 1996, and it's sweet. Emma sounds excellent on this song, taking over the bridges. I like Mel B's catchy little thing on the end of the choruses, and the music at the end. Great. 5/5
4. Love Thing
The first non single track you come across. This is a cute, catchy little song, where the girls tell their men "i don't want no pushing and shoving, don't wanna know about that love thing". Very singable. 5/5
5. Last Time Lover
This is my favourite song on the album tied with "Naked". This is sexy, smooth and brill. Emma sounds AWESOME on the choruses, and Mel B does a great job on the verses. And Geri... sounds EXCELLENT. I LOVE THIS SONG, I LOVE THIS SONG!!!!! 55555555555/5
6. Mama
This song is the girls' fourth single. It's all about their mothers, and the girls' mums feature in the video. I don't really like this song much, it's too slow for me. But I like the end with the cool choir chorus. 4/5
7. Who Do You Think You Are
Comic Relief single, which means it has extra credit for being for charity. This is dancy, bouncy and upbeat, a massive change from the guitars and balladness of the last track. It has a great video too. 5/5
8. Something Kinda Funny
This song gets boring if you listen to it too much. It has cool music and great bridges from Emma. The performance live is brill (especially the performance in Live At Wembley with the dancers), and overall it's a great song. 5/5
9. Naked
My favourite song tied with "Last Time Lover". This has creepy music and great vocals. Mel C and Victoria sound awesome on the chorus, and Emma sounds good too. I adore the live performance of this. I LOVE THIS SONG, I LOVE THIS SONG!!!! 55555555555/5
10. If U Can't Dance
A great way to end the album. This song is upbeat and makes you want to dance. Mel B sounds great, and I love the music. 5/5
If you couldn't guess, Emma is my favourite Spice Girl. This album is brilliant. It's a shame the girls have given up on the Spice Girls, since they were a remarkable band. This CD is firmly lodged in my CD collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spice is Nice, May 23, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Spice (Audio CD)
Back in the late 90's if you didn't own this cd, you just weren't hip. Now in 2003, you if you still have it, well, you just aren't. The five spices came to America to conquer and they did. From 1996-1998, the Spice Girls ruled the world, selling out concerts and racking up #1 albums and singles. Then, the spice wasn't right for, "Ginger," Geri Halliwell quit the band. This album will go down in history for being one the most sold albums by a female group ever, and it is a shame the spice isn't going strong. But, here is a more in depth look at the songs and what I rate them out of five stars.
1.Wannabe - ***** -If you have not heard this song yet, you do not derserve to know what it is like.
2.Say You'll Be There - ***** - Great up tempo pop.
3.2 Become 1 - ***** - A winter ballad, it sold over 5 million copies worldwide.
4.Love Thing - **** - First of the fillers, hip hop song.
5.Last Time Lover - **** - Another filler, not much going on here, the same as before.
6.Mama - **** - Title says it all, ode to yo mama. Slow ballad.
7.Who Do You Think You Are? - ***** - Another fast pop song, like something Christina Aguilera or Britney would sing back in '99.
8.Something Kinda Funny - **** - Not much of a difference than tracks 4 & 5.
9.Naked - ***** - More of a seductive, dirty song. Slow.
10.If U Can't Dance - ***** - Easily one of the best tracks on the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Miss Them.. Viva Spice Forever..., January 31, 2005
This review is from: Spice (Audio CD)
When i was like ... really young, i never listened to PoP music.. or any kinda music. I hated music. I was really a stuck up, bad attitude, violent guy.

Then my parents bought this cd for me.. Which i thought was stupid.. 5 girls ... haha.. I chucked it asside..

Everyone was obsessed wit Spice girls at that time.. Gosh.. posters.. stickers.. lollipops.. Barbie dolls.. Singles.. Cds..

it was everywhere.. This kinda thing never happened..

But i ignored em and continued my life.. I was a realli.. terrible kid.

A few years later, my mom died.. I never felt so depressed before.. My friend came over to my house and popped in the cd.. and put the track MaMa on.. Gosh.. It really touched me.. It spoke for me.. ..

Spice girls changed my life.. yea they cant sing that well.. but i will always love them no matter what.. I'll miss the good ole daes.. It'll never happen again. Even if they reunite. The music world is different.. Songs like wannabe, mama.. 2 become 1.. say u'll be there.. these songs cant be made any more.. PoP is different nowadays.. The difference u can see and compare.. Holler VS Wannabe..

Treasure the SPICE and SPICEWORLD.. I miss them..

5.0 out of 5 stars guilty pleasure of the 90s...these girls rocked the world..., November 22, 2004
J. Jones "choreohype" (Sugar Land, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spice (Audio CD)
the spice girls were something else... they were not the best singers, the best dancers, or even the best actors... but these girls had something that most artist to date lack.... INDIVIDUALITY!!! that is the key to having a successful musical act...that is why they caught on so quickly... each one had their own style and every1 had their fav (mine was POSH cause she was so damn hot)

anyways this is the debut of the 90s. the whole LP rocked (but their second effort SPICEWORLD was their best)... hands down, 'say you'll be there' is the best track on the album... it has spunk, meaning, and has posh's first solo on the record...every1 sang their butt off on that song... i love the beat...the video was great with their own superhero look...

'2 become 1','love thing' 'naked', 'wannabe', 'mama', and 'who do you think you are>?' are classics.

the worst song on the album is probably 'last time lover'... the song is kind of dreary... but every1 has their lacklusters...

this album is great and the spice girls will be in pop culture history until the end of time... so you haters go somewhere... these girls are here to stay...

5.0 out of 5 stars A pop masterpiece, November 18, 2004
This review is from: Spice (Audio CD)
Yes it's pop music, and yes it's the Spice Girls.

But beyond the tiring prejudices of those narrow-minded "cool" people (whose inaccurate hateful reviews mean as much as dog's poo), fact is this record is one of the biggest-selling albums of the 90's and (brace yourself) the music is good.

It's pop at its best (and how it should always be) : fun, funky, saucy, fresh, well-crafted, not taking itself too seriously...

No wonder songs like "Wannabe", "Say you'll be there" or "2 become 1" became classics. This album is a must for any pop lover. Push play and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The girl-pop with seasoning, April 5, 2002
This review is from: Spice (Audio CD)
It's not hard to see why the Spice Girls were so successful with their debut SPICE. Still to this day I think it remains a classic in the realm of pop. The mega-hit "wannabe" was instantly catchy. I still find myself humming along to it sometimes. SPICE is still one of my favorite CDs ever. The Spice Girls were at the top of their game with this one. Mel B and Geri's sultry vocals, Emma's sweet-chirpy voice, Mel C's big-gritty squeals and Victoria's posh attitude were perfectly matched.
There's no buts about it that this CD was aimed at pre-teen girls that wanted a sassy role model to look up to. But, it's accsesable to everyone. I didn't really fit into that category but I really enjoyed SPICE. Besides the mega hit "wannabe" other tracks that stand out are "say you'll be there", "2 become 1", "love thing", and others. Geri even did a little Spanish rap on "if you can't dance."
That's another thing - the Spice Girls had personality. Each one unique and they blended well together. I think SPICE was a perfect blend of pop and R&B. It was sweet but not too sweet. Just the right `spice' with a little attitude. I became a fan with this CD and it's still one of those albums that you can still play again years later. How rare is that for a pop CD?
If you had your inhibitions about this, drop it and pick SPICE up. It's one of those awesome pop CDs that you will want to play time and time again. I still whip it out occasionally and it doesn't sound dated. It's also a great reminder of great pop music. Sassy, up-beat, bubbly fun. SPICE has got it all.

1.0 out of 5 stars I want, I really really want the spice girls to stop singing, September 3, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Spice (Audio CD)
This cd is a travesty to the modern music world. It seems in todays society people can sing stupid lyrics over horribly annoying backing music and still call themselves a band. Listing to my little cousin making noises with his armpit is more interesting than listing to the spice girls. Please do a service to all music fans and do not buy this cd. To conclude, I would like to say to the spice girls that there are many careers out there that you could be good at. Perhaps you could go into the fashion industry or some type of real estate. What ever your choice I'm sure you'll do well. Please just do not put out music because sometimes too much of something can be terrible. Thank you and good bye.

4.0 out of 5 stars OMG, May 24, 2005
This review is from: Spice (Audio CD)
So here I am watching TV with my wife and the new I-POD commercial comes on and what do they play in the background but Wannabe by the Spice Girls and all of a sudden my memory is flushed with all these great times I spent when I was 13 with my friends. WE LOVED THE SPICE GIRLS....I know I know, sad isn't it...a bunch of 13 year old boys singing "If you wannabe my lover" is kinda weird, but we didn't think so at the time. Anyways, after seeing the commercial I had to get the cd, you know, for old times sake, and I'm glad I did...It's nice to be able to just sit and laugh because this kind of music will make you remember better, simpler times...It's great. Thank you I-POD for making me remember!

Spice
Spice by Spice Girls (Audio CD - 1997)
Rate and Discover Movies