4.0 out of 5 stars "Porta-Bra Ladies, Porta-Bra"
I could say that I bought 'Spice World' for my teenage daughter and that would be quite true. Of course that statement wouldn't account for the additional copy stashed away in my own personal DVD collection. I guess it's time for me to face up to the truth and just say it out loud. Mel B - Mel C - Victoria - Geri & Emma, your movie is hilarious!

Yes, it's...
Published on March 28, 2006 by Brian E. Erland

3.0 out of 5 stars One Of My Guiltiest Pleasures
Published on February 19, 2004 by Ken Fontenot

4.0 out of 5 stars "Porta-Bra Ladies, Porta-Bra", March 28, 2006
This review is from: Spice World (DVD)

Yes, it's predictable, shallow and inane, but it's also adorable, quirky and off-the-wall in a good, Monty Python sort of way. It actually works! Say and think what you will, I LIKE IT! So no more excuses accepted, get your own copy of 'Spice World' so you can enjoy the Fab Five as they romp about jolly old England in their very 'posh' double decker bus! GIRL POWER!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Definition of a guilty pleasure., January 14, 2001
thatchick (Irvine, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spice World [VHS] (VHS Tape)
No, it's not "War and Peace," but then, you didn't really expect an All-Spice rendition of "MacBeth," did you?
The plot? Well, that's beside the point, isn't it? Something about a tour film, something about birthing babies, something about an evil tabloid plot to break up the Spice Girls (perish the thought!). What miniscule plot there is serves mainly as an excuse for random cameos, multiple costume changes, and self-spoofing fantasy sequences, e.g. the girls as Charlie's Angels style fighters in "SpiceForce 5". Oh yeah, there's music, too. (Forward through the concert scenes if you're not a devotee of Spice sound or you just aren't really in a masochistic mood.)
It's all in high spirited goofy fun. Even the always reliable Richard Grant looks like he's having a hoot. As someone who doesn't own a Spice album (or even cooking spices for that matter, but that's a different story) and can't call herself a fan, I was genuinely surprised to find this movie so darn enjoyable. I'm not saying I'd start a grass-roots campaign demanding a sequel (er, Spice Universe?), but this flick's amusingly silly and benignly entertaining -- not unlike the Spice Girls themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Stupid Movie I've Ever Seen, March 11, 2007
This review is from: Spice World (DVD)
This movie is simply hilarious. I was quite captivated by the Spice Girls when this movie first came out. Shortly after, I outgrew them, but I still LOVE this movie. Anyone who has not seen it, needs to. Period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Fun Movie, June 26, 2000
Luis Hernandez (New York, New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spice World (DVD)
Considered now by many as a cult classic, "Spice World," marks the feature-film debut of Britain's most famous band since the Beatles. Directed by television veteran Bob Spiers ("Ab Fab"), the movie focuses on the girls during a few days in their hectic life, as they prepare for their big gig at Royal Albet Hall in London.
The movie's camp factor helps in boosting the film's appeal with teenagers and pop-culture fans, and although the acting is not that great, the film gives us many hilarious scenarios including a Mission Impossible-based fantasy called "Spice Force 5," and an enjoyable photo shoot where the girls imitate major pop icons of the past and themselves.
The songs from the band's first two albums provide the film's soundtrack with a diverse selection of tunes that keeps the film together. I only wished that producers released a compilation album of the band's songs that were remixed for this film ("Who do You Think You Are" sounds wicked in a techno beat).
The film's other highlight includes multiple cameo appearances by such personalities as Sir Elton John, Bob Geldof, Meatloaf, Bob Hoskins, Roger Moore, George Wendt, and one of the actress from the "Ab Fab" series. All give wonderful comic performances.
The film's worst scene involves the girls' encounter with aliens during a midnight hike in the woods. Personally, this scene seems out-of-place in such a film. Richard E. Grant is great as the girls' manager, and the film's subplot of a tabloid thrasher going after the girls makes it much more fun to watch.
Reminiscent of a "Hard Day's Night," Spice World will garner more new fans throughout the year as the film is aired on television and at midnight-movie festivals. If you want a fun, fun movie, wthen this is it!

3.0 out of 5 stars One Of My Guiltiest Pleasures, February 19, 2004
This review is from: Spice World (DVD)
Everybody has something that they enjoy and just can't explain. They might even be a little embarassed to admit that they like it. Well, I'm not embarassed to admit that the Spice Girls are one of my guilty pleasures. Granted, their music may be a little hokey, but they sure are fun to listen to. In "Spice World," the girls take on a world tour with Bond-esque style. This movie isn't fantastic, but it is fun enough for the whole family to watch. It's silly, it's goofy, and, at times, it is brilliant. You get a feel of what these ladies had to put up with on a daily basis, albeit in a grand and over-the-top style. There are cameos abound in this flick as well. The acting isn't that bad and the girls seemed to enjoy making the movie.
Funny moments abound in this flick, but some of my personal favorites are when the girls first get on their tour bus and they complain about how hot it is. They say that they could use a fan and, in perfect British comedic style, a young, pre-teen girl comes through the door screaming with glee and then runs back out the door. The girls sigh with comfortable relief. Another funny moment is the expensive, special-effects laden tour-bus jumping a draw-bridge with Posh behind the wheel scene. Finally, in the end credits, the girls "interact" with the audience. They remark on people making out, wonder why folks watching their video can't find anything good on the "telly" and audience member clothes. The entire movie is just a fun little trip.
Alan Cumming(X-Men 2, Josey and the Pussycats) takes a turn as a reporter attempting to document the lives of these ladies. George Wendt(Norm, of 'Cheers' fame)is a movie producer looking for a film to put the girls in and cash in on their fame. Meatloaf is the bus driver for the girls. Some of the better-known cameos that American audiences will recognize are Elton John, Bob Hoskins and Roger Moore. If you're a die-hard fan of British film and television, you'll recognize many of the other cameos as well.
The only reason I'm giving this movie three stars is because,obviously, this movie isn't for everyone. In fact, many people might think that this movie is just too silly to watch. On my personal scale, I would give this flick four stars for the simple fact that I love to watch it and because the Spice Girls don't take themselves too seriously in the movie.
Overall, this is a silly, blatantly cheesy movie that lets you laugh at and with the Spice Girls. They poke fun at themselves and have a good time doing it. A good movie to watch when you have a little time to kill or just want to forget about the world(but not the 'Spice World') for awhile.

3.0 out of 5 stars If you're a true fan, you'd like it, April 30, 2000
This review is from: Spice World (DVD)
Who cares if the plot made no sense, who cares if they couldn't act, what did you expect? These are the Spice Girls! No one ever nominated them for a Grammy, so why should you critize them for not trying to use millions of dollars to get an Oscar nomination? It's sorta sick to see so many movies try to break box office records and get Oscar noms. They just wanted to make a movie in which you could just sit back and laugh. They didn't expect to last forever as a band, or actresses. So get over it! I got this movie over a year ago and I still watch it from time to time. It's just a time capsule of how earth was durin the brief moment it was known as Spice World. It would've been worse if these girls actually took themselves seriously and tried to go off and act in 'real movies'. If you're a true fan of these girls, you'll watch it.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those wondering about the MUSIC, not the movie, November 23, 2008
This review is from: Spiceworld (Audio CD)
First off I'm quite amazed, it seems EVERY other review on here is about the movie!! Well this is not the VHS, DVD or blu-ray, you have clicked on the CD version of Spiceworld, aka the very bearable soundtrack to the movie.

This album is great. Listening to it makes me realise what a lost society we live in now, where barely an original tune is released anymore. Spiceworld takes me back to not only my early teen years, but back to when music was great. The melodies are superb and catchy, and the lyrics mean something worthwile. Now for my song reviews:

1. Spice Up Your Life - 3/5. My least favourite track on the album, the one time I felt the girls had been pressured into a particular type of song to appeal for the first single. It's not bad, but it's not up to the Spice Girls standards.

2. Stop - 4.5/5. Terrific, a lot of people's favourite track. It's upbeat, and fun, and has a terrific climax.

3. Too Much - 4/5. A very sweet yet sexy sort of song that cold be construed as this album's "2 Become 1". Listening to it, you can just tell it's classic Britpop (what ever happened to that, btw?).

4. Saturday Night Divas - 4/5. Another of those fun songs that could easily appeal to the brainless no-taste kids out there who only like music to dance to, but it also packs a very catchy original tune, and it just gels really, really well. Will get stuck in your head for days.

5. Never Give Up On The Good Times - 5/5. My person favourite of all Spice Girls songs. I remember when I first heard it, I was sure I'd heard it before somewhere. Never did find out, but I guess I didn't, perhaps it's just that original that you feel like you've heard it before because it's so good.
Anyway, this is a long one (clocks in at 4 and a half minutes!!) but that's because there's so much there. It starts of with frogs (yeah, frogs), and then jumps into a head-nodding beat, and then the strings come in and take over the show. As usual, Mel C's strong and unique voice is used to good effect here (Never give it up, no; never give it up, no). Can't get any better than this, if it's your sort of thing.

6. Move Over - 3.5/5. Generation Next, which I sang as Generation X for about 10 years... This is another fun one that goes just that one step further so it doesn't seal its fate as another forgettable pop tune. It's probably near the bottom of the pile in terms of favourites, but it's still very good and catchy.

7. Do It - 4/5. From the get-go Mel C's voice "duetting" with itself tells you that you're in for a great original British song (aren't we the best?). This song is about doing what you want and not caring what others think. I can't get over how such a cool, hip tune (even in today's society) is able to add genuinely touching moments in between. Quite wonderful and catchy.

8. Denying - 4/5. Same as above. Hip, catchy as hell, and with touching moments. This song has just that bit more substance than the rest because it's dealing with someone who thinks they're better than everyone else.

9. Viva Forever - 4/5. The prettiest song on the album, it's clearly inspired by Geri "Ginger" Halliwell's background. Very Spanish sounding, but with those awesome strings put to good use again, and a tune that is actually remarkably beautiful. If the music video hadn't been so stupid, I'd give it 4.5.

10. The Lady Is A Tramp - 4.5/5. What fun! Scrap the past 40 years of music development and go straight back into the good old jazz/Chicago-esque style. My Dad, who's in his late 60s, loves this song. And so do I. It's just so completely unexpected from the Girls and it's original to boot. Go back in time and release this as a record single, nobody will know the difference and it'd be a hit then too. The ending is terrific and sends chills down my spine. As with every song on this album, I recommend playing it really loud on an excellent sound system.

So there you go. I honestly believe every track on this album could have been a number 1 hit had they been given the chance, but the fact that the album was #1 for so long shows just how terrific the music is. I'd say this album will go down in history... just as soon as these emo people stop taking over the music world and brandishing everything as shamefully lame. I'll sit and listen to this while I wait. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Why it really WAS a Spiceworld, August 22, 2003
This review is from: Spiceworld (Audio CD)
By the time this album came out, the Spice Girls were everywhere. They were on every magazine cover, they were on lollipops, books, they even had several series of dolls as well as 5 #1 hit songs. This album only added to it & to this day has sold over 15 million copies worldwide. Face it, they sold more records than anyone since the Beatles & no one has yet to sell more than the Spice Girls did. They are a landmark in pop music, a legacy & without them, there would be no Britney or Christina.
01. Spice Up Your Life (10/10)
Yet another #1 hit for the girls, this song has great lyrics. And it was a clever way of marketing them. I was impressed by the video, it is very good. Great song.
02. Stop (10/10)
The one song that didn't reach #1 in the UK. I love this one. Geri's vocals are in my opinion the best part of this song. She sounds so sweet & perfect in her verses. Catchy lyrics...a perfect pop song.
03. Too Much (10/10)
One of my fav songs by them of all time. Just like 2 Become 1. I love the message & story behind this one. When you have it, it's too much...when you don't, it's not enough. GREAT lyrics.
04. Saturday Night Divas (10/10)
Another favorite of mine. I love Melanie C's part in the bridge. Her voice here amazes me. Emma's verses are also perfect. Nice song with original, different verses. Love it!
05. Never Give Up On The Good Times (10/10)
Alot of fans agree this would have been a great single. This is a great song with a great message to everyone. Especially to the girls. Be safe & don't get pregnant...live young while you can.
06. Move Over (8/10)
The Pepsi song, but it's great overall. Kind of a filler on this album, but its smooth rythm and raw vocals make up for it. Although I prefer the other Pepsi song "Step To Me" over this one. It is available on the Japanese version of this album.
07. Do It (9/10)
Another song with a great message! My mom didn't think so when this album first came out, but I agreed with everything they are saying & I still do. "Rules are meant to be broken, do what suites you, not what they want you to do."
08. Denying (10/10)
Reminds me of my ex boyfriend denying he was actually gay. This is one of my favorites. "You ain't foolin nobody but yourself." So true.
09. Viva Forever (10/10)
Gorgeous! Beautiful lyrics & melody. Saying goodbye to true love...I can relate to this deeper than alot of the other songs here. This song actually gives me chills, it's a haunting song. One of their best.
10. The Lady Is A Vamp (7/10)
Not one of my favorites, but it IS different. And it's a great way to end the album just like a concert..."Ladies and gentlemen, we hope that you enjoyed the show!"
Overall this album is just as good as the original with just as much spice as the last. Geri, Emma, Mel C, Mel B & Victoria all have equal vocals on this one & they all sound amazing nonetheless. Actually this album is probably my favorite out of all three, and I do LOVE all three. So if you don't have this already, buy it used or something. It is fun. It makes you dance, cry & think alot. Not just a soundtrack, this is an ALBUM. Get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spice Girls 2nd kickin' album ROCKS!, April 29, 2000
Johathan Jones (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spiceworld (Audio CD)
After the release of their chart topping debut album there was much sceptisism on whether or not the Spice Girls could hit number 1 again or become forgotten 1-hit-wonders. Not only did they hit number 1 again, they topped themselves. This album has done EXTREMLY well, and its easy to see why. The album kicks off with the Spice Girls first single off this album "SPICE UP YOUR LIFE." This is an outrageously awesome song inviting all the world to get up on the dance floor and shake it! A really fun song. Next comes "STOP" which is the Spice Girls tribute to Motown. And what a tribute! This song is wonderfull and so much fun. Its a shame it didn't get to number 1 on the charts, but number 2 is just as good. Then comes "TOO MUCH" another number 1 hit for the Spice Girls. And its easy to see why, the awesome lyrics and the melody itself is just amazing. Not to mention that it dosn't get into silly mushy garbage that often happens with ballads (Backstreet Boys much?). Then theres "SATURDAY NIGHT DIVAS" which happens to be my least favorite Spice Girls song. Its sounds like they just came out of the ghetto, allthough not an entirly bad song. The comes my favorite, "NEVER GIVE UP ON THE GOOD TIMES." What an outrageous song, the disco beat is great and the harmonies rock. I love this song! Then theres the world famous "MOVE OVER" or otherwise known as Generation Next. I love seeing them perform this song and even though its not as good, the album version rocks! Even if it is the Pepsi song. Next comes "DO IT." Now "DO IT" and "DENYING" (the next song) tend to be the forgotten tracks on this album. While not the best songs on the album they are most definetly not the worst. I rather like them and love seeing the Girls stage them. Next comes a favorite of mine, "VIVA FOREVER," the oh-so-sweet ballad. The simplicity and beauty of this song brings tears to the eye, I just love it. The final song on the album, "LADY IS A VAMP," tends to get knocked a little. Why? Its fun and I loved it the first time I heard it. Besides, where else can you hear Geri carrying a song so well? I like it, its cute. All in all, this album is a must. Even those who don't like cute pop can find somthing to enjoy in SPICEWORLD. Besides, what else are you gonna listen to? Kid Rock? Korn? BOO! The Spice Girls write their own lyrics, perform hamronies, dance, and are alot of fun. This album is a credit to their name.

4.0 out of 5 stars fun and entertaining, April 8, 2005
This review is from: Spice World (DVD)
A lot of people want to say that this movie is a pathetic waste of time, and I'll admit that I used to say the same thing. But the thing was, I'd keep on watching it because it was fun to make fun of it! The movie includes cheesy lines, not perfect acting, and scenes that are plain out silly. But at the same time, it makes you have a great time just watching it. It's the guiltiest pleasure ever, just like the songs are. This movie has so many different scenes to it that are great fun watching, and some of them make you laugh out loud. Even if you want to laugh and make fun of it, you should really see it. Overall, it's fun and entertaining, and it's also worth watching.

Spiceworld