5.0 out of 5 stars The First Thing to Notice ...
Published on June 24, 2011 by Giordano Bruno

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Spice, But Poorly Packaged
I bought this because I have been wanting to make Caribbean style wings for a while, and Allspice is essential for this. It has a flavor which is like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, and has an earthy flavor. And while yes, you can combine cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves instead of buying this, that substitution is not nearly as good as the real thing.

This is the...
Published 7 months ago by Phil Rosenbach

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Thing to Notice ..., June 24, 2011
Giordano Bruno (Here, There, and Everywhere) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spicy World Whole Allspice, 1 Pound (Grocery)
... is the incredible price discrepancy for allspice on amazon, from this offering of a whole pound for $5.95 (plus $7.50 shipping) to a typical 1.5 ounce jar for $15.96! That discrepancy exists in the real-world markets of most cities also; allspice from an Indian or Caribbean specialty store will cost a fraction of what you'd pay in a 'gringo' supermarket. There may be some subtle grades of quality in allspice berries, and certainly freshness has to be considered, but freshness can hardly be guaranteed when you're shopping on-line, no more for the expensive than for the cheap product.

Allspice powder loses its potency very quickly. A 1.5 ounce jar of the powder would be suitable only for those who know they'll use it up in a couple of weeks max. Obviously a whole pound of allspice berries is orders of magnitude for many home chefs also. Know thyself! At this price, it's worth cultivating a taste for the stuff!

Allspice is the berry of a shrub, Pimenta dioica, a kind of myrtle. The berries look a lot like peppercorns but have a very different flavor. The shrub seems to have originated in the Caribbean, and accordingly allspice is a major ingredient in the spice melange of Caribbean cookery, especially Jamaican, included in virtually all barbeque sauces. It's also used generously in some "Middle Eastern" cuisines. Oddly, it's become a dessert spice in parts of Europe, an ingredient in "pumpkin pie" spice-mixes. In Sweden, allspice is associated with pork and veal; it's an essential spice in Swedish meatballs. Commercial sausage-makers in Scandinavia and Germany normally use lots of allspice in their higher-quality sausages.

You can pound the berries easily enough in a mortar, but the simplest thing is to have a plain 'dedicated' pepper-grinder filled with allspice berries near your stove. One grinder for black pepper, one for cardamom, and one for allspice. Good to go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes my house smell nice, January 10, 2013
Sandy "WR Gma" (Wood River, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spicy World Whole Allspice, 1 Pound (Grocery)
It's cold, dry and I have dogs and cats so how the house smells is sometimes less than stellar. I put a handful of these in a pot of water with a handful of cloves, simmer it for a while and it feels like Christmas. Inexpensive, no chemicals or over packaging, and it's all good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smelled awesome, November 25, 2012
This review is from: Spicy World Whole Allspice, 1 Pound (Grocery)
Just arrived today in a big plastic bag. I'll have to re-bag it in a resealable bag which is the only reason I'm giving this 4 stars. other than that, the all spice is large, aromatic and plentiful. A much better deal than getting it at the grocery store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product!, December 30, 2011
This review is from: Spicy World Whole Allspice, 1 Pound (Grocery)
I'm stationed overseas and have to order allspice berries every year for the brine I use for my Thanksgiving turkey. This was perfect for it, the price was right and shipping was fast. I will probably purchase this again next year!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Spice, But Poorly Packaged, February 14, 2014
This review is from: Spicy World Whole Allspice, 1 Pound (Grocery)

This is the whole spice, which needs to be ground in order for most uses. Since this is the first time I have purchased Allspice, I have no means of comparison to other retailers as far as taste and aroma of the product, but I can say that this definitely appeals to both of my senses. I recommend that if you do get this a package from this or any other seller which DID remain sealed during shipping, you should put it in a resealable bag, force out as much air as you can, and store it out of direct sunlight for maximum shelf life. Grind only what you are going to use, as the ground spice loses its potency much faster than when it's whole.

The problem with my order, and why I gave this three stars, is that its bag burst, and most of it escaped from the bag and it worked its way into my other order which was packed in the same box. Luckily, most of the spice was salvageable, but the fact that the package burst open is transit is unacceptable. If I, or anyone, were to buy some other spice that was already ground and this happened, I would give this no stars, (if possible), since there would be nothing usable. I have other spices that I want to buy through Amazon because they are not locally available, or grossly overpriced, but I will be sure to look into other retailers for such further purchases. Amazon was kind enough to give me a refund for this packaging debacle, which was NOT their fault, and as such, they have retained their reputation of reliability.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, but inconsistent strength, July 30, 2013
This review is from: Spicy World Whole Allspice, 1 Pound (Grocery)
I've ordered this 3 times now. I mainly use it to make Jerk marinade, and it usually turns out great.. The value verse grocery store jars of spices is just off the chart.

I didn't give this 5 stars, because I've noticed inconsistency in the strength of the spice. Sometimes it tastes flat and a little stale instead of fresh and vibrant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, aromatic, October 24, 2012
This review is from: Spicy World Whole Allspice, 1 Pound (Grocery)
I recently ordered this item. The seller was prompt. The Allspice arrived and my wife commented on how good it smelled right through the package. It is of good quality and I have enjoyed it very much. I put a quantity of it in a vacuum pack to try to preserve it as long as possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Quality, May 20, 2014
This review is from: Spicy World Whole Allspice, 1 Pound (Grocery)
The quality of this product is exceptional. It smelled wonderful and are of the same quality, if not better than, store bought brands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Big Fresh Bag of Allspice, April 13, 2014
This review is from: Spicy World Whole Allspice, 1 Pound (Grocery)
Cooking, using for decorative scents, using for art projects. This huge bag is amazing and inexpensive for all these fresh allspice balls. I am so happy to have so many at such great quality. I will keep buying items from this company as I am in need of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Allspice, April 11, 2014
Silver Firelite (Watertown, SD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spicy World Whole Allspice, 1 Pound (Grocery)
I hadn't thought to purchase my spices through Amazon so when I checked to see what they carried I was not only surprised to see that they carried the spices I wanted but that for the quantity and price you couldn't go wrong.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›