Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions - Playstation 3
Platform: PlayStation 3Edition: StandardChange
Price:$74.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(3 star)show all reviews
on August 12, 2011
The last few Spider-Man games seemed to follow the same schtick. Taking a cue from the Grand Theft Auto games, you played in an "open world" where you could explore New York City and would have to solve so many tasks before progressing in the story. (I.E. you had to stop ten robberies, five gang fights, etc). It was fun but after a while it started to get a little tired repeating the exact same tasks over and over.

In that regard, Shattered Dimensions is a refreshing change of pace in that it follows a more linear narrative. The plot is nothing special; Mysterio attempts to steal some sacred tablet, causes a big mishap in which the tablet breaks off into different realities. Thus, each Spider-Man from a different reality has to find their pieces of the tablet before its too late. In the process, various supervillains attempt to steal various pieces to augment their powers. It's just an excuse to get play as the different Spideys, which is good enough for me. There's the standard red-blue Spidey, the teenaged 'Ultimate' Spidey (who is given the black symbiote suit to make him stand out from his older counterpart), the futuristic one from the year 2099 and last but not least the darker 'Noir' Spidey.

The highlight of the game for many is the different types of Spideys you can play as. There different animation styles present to give each character a different 'feel' and your abilities vary. When you get past the different looks, three out of the four Spideys all feature similar type of gameplay with considerably minor differences (I.E. Ultimate Spidey's symbiote makes him stronger when he's enraged). The levels that stuck out for me and were the definite highlight of the game were the Noir levels. All the colors are sepia toned which give it a real unique atmosphere in comparison to the other universes (which were more traditional in appearance), and the Spider-Man character is significantly different for the player. You are much more vulnerable to bullets, so you have to hide in the shadows and web up crooks without getting caught. To be honest, this is pretty much directly copying Arkham Asylum's Batman, but I didn't care. I got the impression that the makers had the most fun designing this part of the game, and I'd love to see more games in the 'Noir' universe.

Each level follows the same formula. You fight the villain's thugs and finish some tasks (I.E. rescuing hostages or disarming shields), then you fight the boss once. He escapes, you do more tasks, and then you face the villain when he's more powerful thanks to the Tablet. I don't want to say it's repetitive as there's plenty of variety in the different types of tasks and visual style for the levels, but there were times when I felt deja vu.

The voice acting is pretty good. Once again taking cues from Arkham Asylum, each Spider-Man is played by a voice actor who did Spidey for an animated series. As someone who grew up on the 90s cartoon, seeing Christopher Daniel Barnes in particular again was a real treat. As a fan of the cancelled-too-soon Spectacular Spider-Man, it was nice seeing Josh Keaton as well (playing the teenaged 'Ultimate Spider-Man' appropriately).

In the end I'd say it's worth a rental. I'm hardly an expert gamer and I was able to finish it one weekend with only a moderate level of difficulty. Still, I had a fun time doing so and I didn't feel my time was wasted. It's worth checking out at the very least.
on February 23, 2013
This is not as good a game as "Web of Shadows" in my opinion but still fun to play. Where in Web you could run about freely doing and exploring as you pleased. You stuck on a set path in Shattered. The boss fights are fun and the game play is great so while I may not like it as much as Web of Shadows I would still recommend it. Its different and the alternate dimension aspect of the game makes it interesting and the replay value is good.
on January 7, 2012
I found this game a bit too fast paced, it did not allow to much time for the environment to be explored or goodies to be earned. I did however enjoy the individuality of the various Spidermen in the different incarnations. It was fun for that reason alone, other than then that, the web_zip was not always accurate and I experienced falling more times than I care to remember.
on April 20, 2011
I had been looking forward to this game for months based off the first trailer that was released. However, the gameplay left a lot to be desired.

You do get to control 4 different Spideys, in four different dimensions, which is incredibly cool. Each dimension has its own look, sets of Spidey moves, and Spidey mythology. That's the pro.

Now the cons:

CAMERA: Inexcusable. As other reviewers said, the camera moves on its own and what it's tracking is anyone's guess. Why a developer would choose to give the player no control over the camera in modern gaming is a conundrum.

WEB SWINGING: Or lack thereof. The Spidey games based off the movies spoiled us gamers with what the experience of web swinging can be. For all the faults in those games, they got THIS very, very right. That same mechanic followed in a few later Spidey games...but not this one. Web swinging doesn't feel like a natural movement and has no flow whatsoever. Just tap a button and you web swing from some mysterious anchor.

COMBAT: Again, Spider games aren't really known for their combat. This doesn't add or take away from that. In some of the boss battles, we're treated to a close up boxing match, which is cool and different. Otherwise, there are the set Spidey moves, minor upgrades are available, the end. I did find the controls though to be sluggish to respond in some fights.

MISSIONS: Definite button masher game. Swarms of faceless enemies, some with guns, some not, "scientists" and "citizens" in distress needing rescuing, lather rinse repeat. In each level, Spidey chases the boss from point A to B. This could easily be a side scroller. Most of the environment is not interactive (save for random boxes, urns, and vats). Sometimes in going from point A to B you'll have a side mission to rescue X amount of citizens in X amount of time while fending off enemies. But that's basically every level right there.

GRAPHICS: Each dimension has its own look, but none feel overly impressive or have much depth. Even the Amazing world could have had a bit more of a cartoonish/graphic novel look to it. The graphics were just "ok". Noir probably had the best or at least the most interesting, IMO. The cut scenes though were appropriately cinematic.

BOSS BATTLES: These aren't too bad, if a little too easy. For the most part, the same strategy works for each boss. None of the battles throw an unexpected element or bother changing things up.

DIMENSIONS: You get to play in them, but unless you read the bios, or are readers of the comics, there is no real background about any of them. You're just thrown into a new Spidey suit and go on your point A to B mission. None of the inter-dimensional Spideys interact with each other, nor do they really interact with Madame Web. It's almost as though you're playing a level out of a completely different game that's just been pasted inside this one.

So the whole game just boils up to "average". However, compared to the quality of other recent Spider-man games, this is a little more creative and more fun to play. Judged on its own though, it's fairly forgettable.
on March 5, 2011
I was so psyched to play this game, I've always been a huge Spider-Man fan and it seems like his games are hit or miss, but I thought this game would be a hit... I was wrong. There are some good things about this game and for a younger crowd, I'm sure it'll be just fine. But for someone who's played plenty of triple-A titles, this game will be painful to get through. Here's why.

Camera: It wants to go everywhere and nowhere. It doesn't adjust as you move, leaving the player to adjust it manually. But it moves really fast, so often it speeds past where you want to look. I mentioned this first cause if the camera doesn't work, then the game is likely to be a flop.

Combat: The fighting in this game is functional, yet far from fluid or graceful. It's the standard button mashing you'd expect from a Spider-Man game made for kids. They throw in a few unique attacks for the different Spider-Men, but it's still mostly the same mashing throughout the game.

Web-Swinging: This is where the game really pissed me off. The web-swinging SUCKS! Whenever a developer makes a Spider-Man game, I imagine them creating the web-swinging mechanic first, then building a game around it. It's the most iconic thing in the whole universe of Spider-Man and they screwed it up. It's to the point where it's not fun at all! Good thing for this game, that the levels are so linear, otherwise web-swinging would be required.

Goodbye Sandbox: The level design is so linear it hurts. It feels like they thought the player would get lost if there was any depth or exploration options put into the levels. This is a problem because in sequel games in a series, things are supposed to get better and be added, NOT TAKEN AWAY! It just isn't the same not being able to traverse a massive sandbox while web-swinging joyfully through the air. Too bad too, cause can you imagine how awesome it would be to have an open world in the world of Spider-Man 2099!

About Noir: It's a simple and blatant rip-off of Arkham Asylum. The developers should be ashamed of themselves for trying to take so many elements from a superb game and put them into this disaster of a title. Batman: Arkham Asylum was a great game, but Spider-Man games need to retain their own uniqueness and not borrow heavily from other titles.

I wanted this game to be good, I really did, but overall I'm extremely disappointed. Recent titles like Batman: Arkham Asylum and Wolverine: Uncaged Edition have shown that a great superhero game is possible and when executed right, can be downright fun! So Spider-Man, you really need to play catch up with the other great superhero titles so you can finally be among the greats. I know you have it in you, you've got better characters and plots then any superhero in the biz (well, maybe not better then Batman... that's a tough one). So get your act together and make a stellar title in an open world, with great web-swinging and smart fluid combat! Until then, I guess I'll be staying far away from your current titles.
on December 9, 2013
When i bought my ps3 in 2010 .. i had never played any of spider-man games .. so i was thinking i should play them and believe me it's worth !!!!! ... but this game is so hard to get everything in it ! ( i mean the platinum trophy )
on August 2, 2013
The game was fun in the beginning but later on it because really frustrating with the stupid first person fighting sequences.
on September 16, 2012
Many thanks, all was ok with the product. My son like it,, well it was not fantastic as i thought but it was ok.
on June 3, 2015
Looked Awesome, but was stolen out of my car along with my PS3 and 20 other games, so I never got play it.
on September 17, 2011
I really wanted to enjoy this game but the typical issues with spiderman games is really holding what would have been a great game back. Terrible ontrol response and camera really hurt this game. I can't tell you how annoying it is to try and zip line and you go to a different target or when you try and climb up a ceiling and the stupid camera forces you to keep turning around. The game also is very short once you get moving. I reccomend renting and not buying as you will have plenty of time to beat it in a few hours.

See 1 answered question