4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Play-Through for the Story
Overall, the game was a fun play. It could get a little repetitive with the tasks and objectives, but the story was excellent and definitely made the game worth playing. I would suggest buying it used, though. There isn't a whole lot of replay value in the game and it only took me about 3 days to complete.
Published on November 4, 2011 by jkgibbs

3.0 out of 5 stars Better as an actual animated film
Published on October 9, 2011 by truster38

3.0 out of 5 stars Better as an actual animated film, October 9, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Spider-man: The Edge of Time - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I think alot of us loved last year's SHATTERED DIMENSIONS. Yes, it wasn't an open-world game and the story was pretty silly, but the presentation was top-notch and the variety of the levels made it truly fun. I'm certain that Activison and Beenox identified the two main themes in terms of criticism for SHATTERED DIMENSIONS: the story was weak and most gamers loved Spider-Man 2099 the most. As a character, because of his cool look and futuristic world, he almost works better as a video game character than he ever did as a comic book character. So now we have EDGE OF TIME, which gives us a really great story and 2099 as basically the lead character.

Man, they really overreacted.

The entire game takes place in an office building. Yes, this is a Spider-Man video game in which you never, EVER even see the skyscrapers of New York City. The entire game is really short, about eight hours, and because there are no changes in environment and enemies, you go from the four distinct gameplay styles of SHATTERED DIMENSIONS to what is basically one style here. Amazing and 2099 pretty much play exactly the same in this game because their surroundings are the same, and that's really a shame. The game chooses to not have menus between levels, as you go right from one level to the next seamlessly, which does add a cinematic feel but also highlights the sameness in the levels even more. Each chapter is indistinguishable. The entire game really feels like one huge eight hour level. In fact, I was on Chapter 5 before I realized that I wasn't on the first level anymore! I just figured the environment was going to eventually change. The upgrades seem to have been lessened from the last game as well, and combat just doesn't feel as fun as it did in SHATTERED DIMENSIONS. You don't need to dumb-down what was already a button-masher. What an odd development choice.

You could argue that the difficulty levels and challenges lengthen the replay value, but I, for one, had my fill of the same labs and atriums the first playthrough and have minimal desire to return to them anytime soon.

There are three boss battles in the entire game, and they are very boring. Again, another curious decision by the developers because what made SHATTERED DIMENSIONS so great was that each level was basically a HUGE boss battle, where you fought the boss several different times in different ways. You even got to punch them in first-person.

So, what happened? Well, they got Spider-Man 2099 creator Peter David to write the story, and it's a great one, with a honest-to-goodness twist you actually won't see coming. The game is completely built around the story, and presented in a cinematic style. The production value is through the roof in this game, and the entire opening sequence is one of the BEST I have EVER seen in video games.

But, again, it's VIDEO GAME, not a movie. By sacrificing so much to tell the story, the developers forgot what makes a game great, and it's not the cutscenes, even ones as great-looking and fantastically-acted as the ones in this game.

I'm not a video game troll and find it juvenile and simplistic to just say things like "Activision is evil" or what have you, but I will say that we don't need a new Spider-Man game every single year. This franchise is not, and shouldn't be, Call of Duty. They won alot of goodwill for SHATTERED DIMENSIONS and, I fear, lost alot of it with EDGE OF TIME.

I'd like to take the rest of this review in a little, more personal direction, so apologies for the length. I loved SHATTERED DIMENSIONS alot, probably more than the average person because I love the webhead dearly, and so I actually pre-ordered this game and paid the full $60 for it. I got only more excited when I watched those behind-the-scenes interviews with the voice cast for this game, probably the most effective marketing they did. Those videos were ALMOST false advertising. For example, Josh Keaton and Christopher Daniel Barnes talked about how what you do in one timeline will affect the other timeline, but they made it sound like this was player-controlled. In reality, it is not, as the game's story pre-determines each instance the timeline (read: the level you're currently playing) changes. Laura Vandervort, whom I LOVE from INSTANT STAR and SMALLVILLE, voices Mary Jane, but she's only in the game for about five minutes total, and half the time she's just screaming. Those promotional videos sort of suggested we'd be experiencing this actress' performance as an iconic character for more than just a cameo. Ditto for Katee Sackhoff as Black Cat 2099, who is FANTASTIC, in a performance I would have loved to heard more of. Finally, this game has an embarrassment of voice acting riches, as VAL FREAKIN' KILMER is also not really in the game that much. This is a video game that has three legitimate film actors and didn't utilize their talents nearly enough.

One last thing about the voice acting. Josh Keaton and Christopher Daniel Barnes are great Spider-Men. Depending on who you ask, one of these two gentlemen ARE Spider-Man. They do a fantastic job and have GREAT chemistry here. In fact, the best part about the game is actually their dialogue, as through comic book/video game magic they can talk to each other even though they're in different time periods, so often one of them will pop up in the corner of the screen to advise/trash talk the other one.

However, as a long-time Spider-Man fan, I was absolutely offended by the characterization of these two heroes. First of all, they spend the entire game aggressively sniping at each other, like they actually hate each other, and show very little of the class and playful nature that a real Spider-Man would. Secondly, and most egregiously, Spider-Man 2099 is cast in the lead and Amazing Spider-Man, as in, the ACTUAL Peter Parker, is cast as the selfish, wisecracking fool who doesn't know anything. Miguel is constantly explaining time travel and other comic book science topics to Peter, who acts like an idiot and even sports an unmasked character design that makes him look like a jocky douchebag. Guys, Peter Parker is ALSO a scientist, a damn good one. Some of the best Spider-Man stories deal with Peter's humanity and vulnerability, and his weakness in the face of having to do the right thing, which this story also addresses not just in his possible death but also as revealed in the big plot twist, but in no way should Spider-Man 2099 have been presented as smarter and more capable than Peter. It's ridiculous.

Still with me? If you're a Spider-Man fan, buy it and treat it like an interactive should-have-been animated film. Otherwise, rent it, and pray they take a little longer to make the next game.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sad . . ., December 31, 2011
Spudpicker "Spud" (Blackfoot, Idaho United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Spider-man: The Edge of Time - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
One of my favorite parts about some previous Spider-man games was the sandbox-style gameplay, and webslinging around the city. That was completely removed in favor of dark corridors that all look the same, and almost zero ability to websling freely. You can't even webzip wherever you want--you need to click on the predetermined locations, which leads to my first major gripe about this game:

Lack of Freedom: You get led around by the nose, with no freedom about how you will complete an objective. There are even glowing trails of orbs that add up to upgrades, which you need to follow around if you're going to find the next challenge. I often felt like I was playing Sonic the Hedgehog at times.
Fighting: The fights are repetitive and irritating. Nearly every room you go in has dozens of robotic soldiers which are surprisingly hard to kill, and when you do manage to kill them all, a new group teleports in, making you feel like all your previous work was useless. I got sick of it after an hour, and started completing my objectives by dodging the enemies whenever I could. Also, the developers must have been under the impression that "more is more", because every time you walk in a room there are literally dozens of enemies. I can't think of many times when I had less than eight guys trying to kill me. That's fine, but all the special combos seem to take a few seconds to charge, and you're not able to use them when someone shoots you the second you stand still. The shooting robots were annoying too. No matter how much you jumped, twisted, and dived, they would hit you. They never miss. Several times I even got shot through a wall.
Missions: Some of the missions you have to complete are completely ridiculous. I don't mind having to go fetch a key, but when it takes me twenty minutes to get the freaking key to open one inconsequential door, I get irritated. Sometimes I felt that the developers finished the game and said, "Hmmmm, looks like there's only 60 minutes of gameplay. Why don't we add in a bunch of other random objectives for the player to complete, so they don't feel like they wasted their money."
Gameplay: Every piece of the game was repeated at least five times. In the boss fights, there was only one way to kill the boss, and it always took forever. Even on the Easy setting, the bosses took forever to kill.
And speaking of repetition, here's a breakdown of how you'll spend the game:
Fighting a never ending wave of robotic soldiers: 25%
Fighting Bosses: 5%
Clicking 'B' over and over to open a door, move a lever, or interact with some object: 60% (I seriously was worried my 'B' button would fall off).
Story: The story is actually not too bad. I enjoyed the 2099 character, and there was a cool twist. A shame that such an intriguing plot was put into such a mismanaged game.

Summary: If I had wanted repetitive gameplay, I would have broken out my old N64 and chosen a game I played as a kid. I'm glad I rented this from Redbox rather than buying it, but I still want my $2 back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow this game is terrible., December 23, 2013
This review is from: Spider-man: The Edge of Time - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I say this as someone who really liked Shattered Dimensions. I heard that Edge of time was not as good so I held off on buying it when it came out and just got around to it after it went on sale on XBL recently. I figured well hey Shattered Dimensions was pretty underrated too so maybe people are just exaggerating about this one too. No, it really is that bad. You've probably already seen many other reviews talking about the confined spaces and repetitive qualities of the game, but I think that's far from the worst of the problems with it.

What was once smooth flowing combat in Dimensions has become a horribly awkward button mash fest, made even worse by really bad targeting and camera.

Web swinging controls are much the same, yet are for some reason much less responsive now. Again, bad targeting and camera makes this even worse. Not that you'll be able to make much use of web swinging anyway since you're stuck inside a building the entire time. A lot of the rooms you find yourself in will have room for about one swing at the most before you smack into a stick onto a wall.

The well made web of challenges from Dimensions has now become a series of frustrating and generic timed challenges. It usually rotates back and forth between "get from point A to point B in X amount of seconds" and "beat up X amount of guys in X amount of seconds without getting hit more than 2 times". The bad web swinging controls make the racing from point A to point B challenges extra frustrating and in turn, the bad combat controls make the timed and graded combat challenges more frustrating too. This is not to say that they are impossible to achieve, but it will typically involve reloading and retrying over and over again and not because they're too difficult, but usually because something will go wrong with the controls and screw up your ryhthm.

On top of that, the weird new way challenges unlock usually end up making them even more frustrating. Challenges aren't viewable until they unlock and they don't unlock until they have already begun, which means when a little text message up in the corner (which is easily missable if you're doing anything else at the time) to tell you that a new challenge is available, that means that the challenge has actually already begun and time has already started counting down. On top of that, a lot of challenges seem to begin DURING cutscenes. There are times where 10 of your 30 seconds will pass during unskippable conversations and/or animations where you are unable to move. That is some horribly sloppy programming.

So in short, everything good about the previous game has been removed or mangled beyond recognition and we're just left with a generic and broken beat-em up. The only nice thing I can say about it is that the graphics are a bit nicer than the previous game. The story is ridiculous, which is somewhat forgivable in a superhero game, but it's absolutely not good enough to be worth forcing yourself to play this for. You can blame everything on Activision for allegedly rushing the devs on this game if you want, which seems to comfort some people somehow, but that means nothing in the end. It doesn't matter how or why it happened, the game is still just plain bad. Edge of Time is utterly worthless to anyone except the obsessive Spider-Man collectors who will buy absolutely anything Spider-Man related no matter how awful it is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Spider-man edge of time, June 26, 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Spider-man: The Edge of Time - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
It's good but I like it more when there are missions and I get to explore the city. Spider-man 2 was good but the story line is too short and so is this game. I like games that have a long story line so that by the end of the week I'm not saying to myself, "Man, I'm bored of this game."

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Play-Through for the Story, November 4, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, May 14, 2014
This review is from: Spider-man: The Edge of Time - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I have already played this game before, but I wanted it for nostalgic reasons. I also really like the in game costumes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, May 11, 2014
This review is from: Spider-man: The Edge of Time - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
It is a serious game the serious player. Lots of challenges and puzzles to achieve. I still have trouble completing and achieving all of the golden spiders. It is a tough game. I recommend it. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars spider-man xbox360 game, May 2, 2014
This review is from: Spider-man: The Edge of Time - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
item arrive well pack, as describe! what can I say! another game, that a kid will beat in few hours. VIDEO GAMES ARE A WASTE OF MONEY! My advice is! Buy! PRE-OWN! RETURN IT BEFORE THE 7 DAYS EXPIRES! :) GET YOUR MONEY BACK! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars birthday gift, April 1, 2014
This review is from: Spider-man: The Edge of Time - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
My son loves this game... He is only 7 and still trying to figure it out but he never gets tired of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arrived with no problems, March 25, 2014
This review is from: Spider-man: The Edge of Time - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I don't know much about video games, I'm not into them this was ordered for my son and he likes it. Experienced no operational problems with the game.

Spider-man: The Edge of Time - Xbox 360
Spider-man: The Edge of Time - Xbox 360 by Activision Inc. (Xbox 360)
$34.34