5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, secure, well-balanced, quiet
Published on January 4, 2012 by Ian Ivey

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously flawed.
Published on August 2, 2012 by Truth Be Told

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, secure, well-balanced, quiet, January 4, 2012
This review is from: SpiderHolster SpiderPro Dual Camera System (Camera)
I'm a wedding photographer. About half the day, I use one body, and half the day I need two bodies at hand. For some time, I've been using the Black Rapid Double Strap. I realized after some time that I only needed the straps when I was using two bodies; I could decouple the strap halves and use one at a time, but when I only had one body, I found the strap to be more in-the-way than helpful.

I also use a Think Tank Thin Skin Belt V2.0, with lens and flash carriers. This SpiderHolster attaches to the Think Tank belt, and eliminates the need for the shoulder straps.

The SpiderHolster system improves on straps in two ways. First, the camera straps allow a hanging camera to swing out. On the straps, sometimes a long lens like the 70-200 would swing out and bang into tables, chairs, babies' heads, pitchers of water, or other objects as I walked by, particularly if I had to twist my torso to squeeze past. By contrast, the SpiderHolster keeps the camera and lens snug to my hip and posterior, which reduces collisions and worry.

Second, the SpiderHolster is quieter, especially when kneeling down. The straps have to be long enough to leave room to swing the camera from a hanging position all the way up to my eye. This means they hang low enough to touch the ground (usually lens first) when I kneel, which I do quite a lot when shooting weddings. The SpiderHolster keeps the camera off the ground. It's safer for the equipment, and less obtrusive (i.e., less noisy), meaning it also is less distracting for me when taking a quick knee to capture a fleeting moment.

The metal holster is well constructed. The system uses a ball-socket mechanism. A solid metal plate attaches to the tripod mount of the camera body. This plate in turn provides several sockets (tripod-mount sized) you can use to select the fit that feels best to you. The ball-pin attaches to your choice of these sockets. Unlike some attachment riggings, as on the straps, this ball-pin does not appear likely to unscrew from the socket by accident -- there is no friction or other incidental force that would be likely to bring it loose.

When you're ready to set the camera into the holster, you just drop the ball-pin into the metal holster socket, with a satisfying and easy-to-feel thunk. It's not loud, it's just reassuring -- you know that the camera is locked in place. You can slide it in by feel - the receiving part is Y-shaped, and guides the ball into the holster socket.

The socket has a release-latch mechanism that is easy to operate but is not easy to activate accidentally. It locks the ball-pin into the holster, and is secure and confidence inspiring. By contrast, the Strap attachments sometimes came loose (both the carabiner and the mounting element), meaning I had to get into the habit of twisting them to ensure they were still tight. The SpiderHolster doesn't seem to have this problem.

Usually, I'll either have two bodies (for quick swapping during action phases), or else one body and a lens pouch. With one SpiderHolster camera plate on one side and either a camera plate or else a lens pouch on the other, the belt is well-balanced. I tried it with just the camera plate, and it still works fine.

Overall, this is a very-well-constructed system: it feels absolutely solid, it is secure, and it engineers away several problems inherent to camera straps. One of the best purchases I've made for professional shooting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great System don't listen to the negative reviews, May 6, 2013
Amazon Customer (Rialto, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SpiderHolster SpiderPro Dual Camera System (Camera)
The holster ie the metal base attached to the camera and the metal receiver which can worn on any belt which is what you're actually purchasing with this system. These retail for approx $105 each, in this system you receive two.

Before purchasing this system I did my research via the manufactures website and also via YouTube video reviews. I knew what I was getting and what was going to be involved. Something that the other negative reviews should have done before purchasing such an expensive system and than spending twice as long complaining about what they received rather than doing the research.

The actual spider pro holster is a made out of machined stainless steel and aluminum and is a very high quality unit with a solid heft to it. This isn't cheap cast metal or plastic. So when others try and compare this to any other system there is no comparison. Most other camera carry systems are made out of cloth and webbing and if you're lucky a metal clasp that attaches to the camera. Unlike other systems I feel confident hanging $5-10K worth of camera equipment off of it without fear that it's going to break.

Now onto the actual review of how it carries. I have seen no other system on the market that can compare to this system. I routinely carry a Canon 5DMIII with a battery grip and a 70-200 F2.8 lens. I also sometimes add a 600-RT-EX flash to the above camera. For those not familiar I'm talking somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 lbs of camera and this systems excels at carrying that much weight. Try slinging 10 lbs off of any neck strap, I can't carry this around my neck at it causes me severe headaches and for anyone who has ever done serious backpacking you know you want the weight carried on your hips which is what this system does. On a routine day, ie not going out specifically to photograph, I carry my camera on a 1 1/2" liger belt. While it might not be the most comfortable on this thin of a belt it beats carrying it around my neck any day. So when I know I'm going to be carrying my camera for hours on a photo day I carry the spider pro on a Lowe Pro S&F deluxe belt and this sure beats any other system I've ever tired. My camera is instantly ready when I need it but secure and if I have even the slightest fear I flip the lever which locks it to me.

As for all of the complaints about the belt you receive with this system. It's alright nothing fantastic about but it isn't horrible. My response to everyone that complains about the belt is that you are paying about $25.00 for the nylon belt with this system look at the YouTube reviews and if you don't like it save the money and buy two of the holsters (ie metal part) and than buy a Lowe Pro S&F deluxe belt. The holsters come with everything you need to mount it to the LowePro belt. You only end up spending about $20.00 more and the LowePro system is the best I've ever seen for carrying a large amount of gear and having it readily accessible and the biggest reason is "it carries the weight on your hips" which is exactly what the spider pro system does.

So if you want a system that carries a heavy camera comfortably this is a great system just do your research and decide what belt you want to use with it and then purchase accordingly.

PS I'm going to purchase a couple more holsters so I can leave at least two on my LowePro belt, it's take about 5 minutes to mount it on the LowePro belt, see the video. A great thing with this system is if you have extra pins you can have one on the lens tripod ring which lets you leave that lens on your belt when you switch your camera to a different lens one the days you're not carrying multiple cameras so you don't have to keep put lens into and taking out of lens pouches.

Bottom line it's expensive but more than worth it when you hanging $10K worth of gear off of it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously flawed., August 2, 2012
This review is from: SpiderHolster SpiderPro Dual Camera System (Camera)
As someone who regularly shoots 4-10 weddings per month using two cameras I can definitely appreciate a good carrying solution. This is why I've literally tried every single offering from all the major players. I mainly stuck with the dual-harnesses that hang off your shoulders, which I'd consider a perfect solution if not for the pain that I experience by the end of a 12-hour day in the shoulder/trapezoid region. It was time to bring the weight down to my waist and on paper SpiderPro appeared to be the best if not the only available solution.

Of course the first thing that you notice about Spider Pro is its price. At nearly $250 it's literally the most expensive dual harness/holster system on the market. The way I see it, as long as this piece of equipment is built well enough to last a few years and can save my back in the meantime its price is absolutely irrelevant. Whether $250 or $500, if it saves me from the "pain and suffering" on the job, which helps me stay more focused and less tired, which results in a higher quality of work and higher pay then this equipment literally pays for itself and then some. Though at the same time the expectations are quite high because no matter what it's still just a belt with a few machined metal parts attached to it, so for $250 it better be flawless.

Unfortunately it's not. First disappointment straight out of the box: the system arrives in pieces. Even though the pictures show as if the two holsters are there as a single unit, in reality it is not. From the looks of it the second holster was just an after-thought. It's a separate unit which arrives as an add-on to the regular SpiderPro which by itself is only meant to carry one camera.

Everything arrives completely disassembled. And I don't mean disassembled the way a lens hood is not attached to a lens when it arrives. I mean you literally have to take the metal parts apart with tools, swap metal pieces and attach things to the belt with different screws because some pieces actually arrive assembled but in the wrong way since once again, they were not meant to be a part of a dual-holster unit. The best part is it doesn't even come with instructions! The box says that you have to go online to find the instruction and that the assembly will take you about 20 minutes. Really? Do I really have to jump through that many hoops just to be able to use a $250 holster which cost them about $15 to make? Do they not value my time at all or care about the fact that few people feel comfortable about making modifications to a product they've never seen before, let alone a product designed for suspending in the air $10,000-$15,000 worth of camera gear? I am not mechanically handicapped by far, but this is simply ridiculous.

I already own a belt system (lowepro) so I know what a solid, heavy-duty belt should feel like under load. Guess what: the belt they've provided is about as heavy-duty as your standard camera strap! Of course it's somewhat thicker and a lot wider, but still, imagine wrapping that around your waist and hanging 20 pounds worth of gear off of it! A joke is the only way to describe it. At the most it can handle just one camera without cutting too dip into the skin, which is exactly what it was designed for because as we recall the dual-harness system was an after-thought. The cool part is, the second camera is secured to the belt by nothing but a velcro! The belt loops around the second holster with velcro serving as the binding mechanism, just like on shoes that use velcro instead of laces. Imagine that. I've seen $10 belts on amazon that are 10 times better than that.

This just goes to show how lazy/cheap the people behind this product really are. They took two different products, threw them in the box and left it up to us to sort it all out. The bottom line is if you want to use this with two cameras you will have to buy a different belt unless you enjoy a constant sharp pain around your waist and the constant fear that velcro will come apart. If you do decide to get a new belt, then once again you'll have to reassemble all the metal pieces as well as buy various adapters from their website (I think for two it's around $30-$50), just so you could use the system with a belt that should've been included in the first place!!!

For someone who demands premium over all other dual-camera carrying solutions this company showed an unforgivable amount of disregard for the safety of my equipment, my comfort, as well as my health, since you definitely run a risk of injuring not only the skin but also the internal organs by using their belt over prolonged periods of time. I was expecting a top quality product, but all I got was something pretending to be it and even worse it's a product that's not only of poor quality but is also potentially dangerous. I think it has a lot of potential, but at this time it's badly designed and unfinished. Will update my review if they do some major upgrades to the SpiderPro, but at this time I advise to stay away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Design, Very Practical, December 11, 2012
This review is from: SpiderHolster SpiderPro Dual Camera System (Camera)
First of all, I've only used this about five times since I got it about three months ago.

The design and concept are awesome! I have found around the neck and around the shoulder straps absolutely awkward to use and sometimes even uncomfortable. I am a female photographer, so I've tried one of top rate "designed for ladies" straps and did not like it any better than the "unisex" straps out there.

I've been searching for an option for a while that would accommodate two cameras. I read a write up on this holster system in one of my professional photography publications and decided to try it out.

I shot a wedding in September with it with and it made switching often between two cameras very easy. I've used it in the studio several times for portraiture sessions as well and have also loved it for that.

My recommendations are to read the reviews here for tips for getting it set up for use AND for using it. The products website does an OK job, but the reviews here were very helpful in deciding to purchase it and in getting started with it. The most challenging thing was getting the holsters on and the belt adjusted (product site has a downloadable pdf instruction book for this which helps but would definitely be better presented as a video) -- this is an important step that you only have to do once, but you need to be SURE about how you want it to fit to include the positioning of the holsters on the belt. It will accommodate a wide range of sizes (I'm a 5' 2" non-overweight female; there's plenty of belt length to fit a much larger person, however, if you're very large, please check the size specs before purchasing).

So far, I love it! However, the big question is how long will the belt and holster materials hold up? Once I've been able to break it in a bit more, I will update this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product!!, February 1, 2013
Murth "themurth" (Glen Allen, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SpiderHolster SpiderPro Dual Camera System (Camera)
I have to disagree with the negative comments I have read on both Amazon and B&H Photo on this product. This product is awesome! It wraps around my waist and sits nicely on my hips. All of that weight and I don't feel a thing. As for the complaint that you have to add the additional holster, I say no big deal. I love the fact that it came as a single and allows me the ability to add the other holster when needed. Assembly is not hard at all and the instructions online are very clear. The only issue I can find with this might be for someone who has a large belly. My reasoning is if the belly is much larger than a person's hips, they may not enjoy the benefit of having the belt rest on the hips. In that case, a strapped holster might be a better selection but, unfortunately that would put pressure on the neck. If your waist size is not bigger than your hips, I say this is a home run. I am glad I bought it. Now I can jam out with two cameras at my sides. Happy shooting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back saver, May 6, 2012
This review is from: SpiderHolster SpiderPro Dual Camera System (Camera)
I bought this for my weddings and it is a back saver!! I dont have to worry about the neck strap getting into my pictures, I can easily use both my cameras with two diff. lense on them so it really has sped up my picture taking process all while saving my back!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great except for two things, August 20, 2014
This review is from: SpiderHolster SpiderPro Dual Camera System (Camera)
I love this product. There are two small downsides. First, you have to assemble part of it yourself. When I'm spending this much on a professional photography product I expect it to come pre-assembled. Second, there is exposed metal on the inside of the belt that rubs and bruises my hip bones. I've DIYed a fix by sticking moleskin to the inside. Which, again, for a professional product that I'm spending this much on I really shouldn't have to fix.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved My Back, May 21, 2013
This review is from: SpiderHolster SpiderPro Dual Camera System (Camera)
I photograph 20-30 weddings a year. I had back surgery last year so I knew I couldn't carry cameras on my shoulders anymore.

The SpiderHolster Dual Holster works perfectly carrying two nikon camera with flash units.

Make sure to read the instructions and watch the videos how to correctly use the Holster. I initially setup the left holster incorrectly and almost dropped my camera. That was user error :) It works great once setup correctly. I also switched from shoulder straps to using a hand strap. If you leave a shoulder strap with the holster it can hang and catch on things while walking around. So I suggest using a shorter strap. I am much less fatigued after a long shoot and it has helped reduce the pain in my back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Camera Holster in the Market!, June 20, 2012
This review is from: SpiderHolster SpiderPro Dual Camera System (Camera)
My boyfriend is a semi-professional photographer and is often shooting large events, music concerts, political and church gatherings, weddings, and sports. As an early Father's Day and birthday gift, I thought I'd surprise him with a much-needed holster but since I'm not familiar with his specific shooting needs, I ordered four different holsters. I ordered the Cotton Carrier 122CPF Dual Holster, the Opteka MCH-25, the Rainboximaging Black Quick Release Dual Shoulder Camera and the SpiderHolster.

All to say, he loves the SpiderHolster. The parts are strong and made well. I don't know the specific kinds of lenses he has on his Canon's but one is particularly heavy - and the belt handed both its weight and the other camera beautifully. The lenses don't swing out and he is able to move nimbly and comfortably to get great angles. The belt allows him to add more compartments to hold water, memory cards or batteries. He doesn't suffer from any back, neck or shoulder pain after shooting 10+ hours. And of course, he looks so cool and professional.

It is a bit pricey and I would've been thrilled if it was cheaper. But hands down, it far surpasses all the camera holsters out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, October 14, 2014
This review is from: SpiderHolster SpiderPro Dual Camera System (Camera)
I am a wedding and event photographer who often uses 2 cameras. The Black Rapid R Strap works great but my neck and shoulders are really sore after a wedding. I saw another photographer using this so I thought I would give it a try. I have used it now for about a month and I have to say I am very happy with it. The SpiderHolster helped with my neck and shoulder soreness and both cameras are within easy access. A couple other photographers have warned me they have seen photographers have cameras drop in systems like this. One photographer said the anchor pin came unscrewed from his camera. So I find myself being a little more careful and checking to make sure the pin is in the holster properly. It is not quite as fast as my previous system but I think it looks great and it prevents me from having pain so it is well worth it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›