4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore The Haters
If you like and are entertained by B movie creature features.This movie delivers on suspense,acting,creature effects and action.For those of us who like the genre?It's good entertainment!So either rent or buy.Either way,break out the popcorn sit back and enjoy!
Published 17 months ago by Akini Africa

1.0 out of 5 stars Even the ScyFy Channel would pass on this one
Published 18 months ago by Kate McArthur

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore The Haters, March 20, 2013
This review is from: Spiders (Amazon Instant Video)

4.0 out of 5 stars "Spiders from space!", May 26, 2013
This review is from: Spiders (DVD)
I bought the 2D version, didn't know it was a 3D movie, doesn't really matter, I liked it anyway. I have quite a collection of spider movies (crazed-insect movies in general); this one fits in with the rest.
Granted, the mechanics of the plot aren't particularly fresh or new. The story was definitely recycled from many other movies (which was quite 'green' of them: waste not want not!). The characters weren't particularly compelling. They served the plot and that's about it. No one shamed themselves (although at this point, Patrick Muldoon might consider being a bit pickier with parts). His role had him down as an ex-husband, delinquent dad of sorts. Naturally, he had to protect his splintered family (didn't quite catch what the marital problem was, they just needed that type of dynamic and plugged it into the story: daughter in danger and all that). The story also suffered from a stock villain, the usual culprit, some army goon lacking foresight into the habits of spiders. The filmmakers, no doubt from desperation, also went with the whole secret conspiracy angle, something about a PROJECT that got out of hand (some mumbo jumbo about outer space, weapons, and webs). Quarantine was evoked and some yahoos ran around killing anyone deemed to know too much..........as though a trail of bodies wouldn't be the least bit suspicious (what did they all have in common)! What a hoot.

I was definitely hesitant to buy this movie based on the spate of disgruntled reviews posted here. Fortunately, I threw caution to the wind, decided it was a spider movie, so how bad could it be? I'm glad I ignored the negative and went with the positive. This movie suits me just fine. Obviously though, it's not for everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Creature Feature Stuck in Limbo, March 16, 2013
This review is from: Spiders (3D/2D Blu-Ray) (Blu-ray)
It's a shame this movie had to have been released in theaters in this day and age. Had it come out in the 90's it would have been more well received, and typical of the creature features of the time: Lake Placid, Anaconda, Deep Blue Sea, The Relic, etc. If it had premiered on SyFy it would be considered the greatest TV movie ever. Unfortunately, neither happened, so I can easily see why it let many people down. It's a creature feature stuck in limbo. It's too good for SyFy, but not good enough to play in today's theaters. The spider effects are quite good, while the occasional digital rat would have looked OK ten years ago.

The budget does not allow for the massive scale attack on the populace of New York that people were hoping for. Instead the city is evacuated before the spiders surface (at the climax) so it's just a handful of civilians and the military that are left. Judging it as a low budget typical creature feature it's great. As a theatrically released spiders-attack-New York movie from 2012 it's a major disappointment. I give it 4 stars because I like creature features, even SyFy originals, and it is better than any of the direct-to-video/made-for-TV movies I've seen. A direct-to-disc release would have turned it into a cult hit, instead of the flop it is now considered. Fans of this stuff should really give it a chance, but forget how recently it played in theaters.

One thing's for sure, no one should be disappointed with the blu-ray transfer. The video quality is on par with most Hollywood blockbusters.

4.0 out of 5 stars spiders, June 24, 2013
This review is from: Spiders (3D/2D Blu-Ray) (Blu-ray)
i expected horrible animation and a horrible plot as is the rule with giant creature movies.
the spiders looked real and the plot was not nearly as bad as expected.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why All The Hate?, April 2, 2013
This review is from: Spiders (DVD)
Well after watching this movie all I can say is why are there so many one star ratings? Yes, this movie will never win an Oscar,but as far as this type of movie goes it's pretty decent. The spiders looked pretty good,the acting wasn't all that great,but passable. The only thing that bothered me was the so called streets of New York. They looked a little too much like a movie set. Overall this is a pretty good sci-fi flick.

1.0 out of 5 stars Even the ScyFy Channel would pass on this one, February 11, 2013
This review is from: Spiders (Amazon Instant Video)
Spiders. Creepy and crawly and one of my least favorite things. So when I saw this title I decided to give myself a shiver and rented it, even though there were no reviews posted. I hope others will read this review first and save themselves the pain and lost time that I suffered. Simply put, this movie is an abomination. Horrible acting, directing and writing. From soup to nuts this film is the worst piece of trash I've ever had the misfortune to have to sit through, and I DID sit through it (with judicious use of the FF). Do yourself a favor and find a less painful way to spend an hour and half. Like root canal.

4.0 out of 5 stars SPIDERS TAKE THE SUBWAY - LITERALLY, June 5, 2013
This review is from: Spiders (DVD)
I've always loved those big bug movies from the 50s----Tarantula, Them. Deadly Mantis, Black Scopion---they were such cheesy fun.
Today's big bug movies have CGI effects but lack the fun aspect of the earlier films. Still SPIDERS harkens back to those glory days and as such is enjoyable. Forget the frail plot; forgive Patrick Muldoon and Christa Campbell's acting and remember John Agar and Mara Corday. SPIDERS is hardly classic but fans of big bug movies should find entertaining.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly terrible, even for me..., February 27, 2013
This review is from: Spiders (3D/2D Blu-Ray) (Blu-ray)
B-movie? Check. Giant spiders from space? Check. 3D?? Double check. A recipe for a fun, silly and campy movie with 3D effects that I couldn't wait to watch.

I barely made it through it. It's not fun, it's not campy, it's not exciting nor is it even creepy (spiders freak me out). This is a hugely wasted opportunity for a fun movie that could have had a cult status. How can anyone make a 3D spider movie and never have a single spider jump out at you?

I cancelled my pre-order within 15 minutes of watching the movie and encourage anyone to watch this before you buy the film. $8 is cheaper than $20.

3.0 out of 5 stars Middle of the road, but still fun, May 2, 2013
This review is from: Spiders (3D/2D Blu-Ray) (Blu-ray)
You know what to expect when you sit down to watch a movie called "Spiders 3D." I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. Admittedly, I'm a sucker for spider flicks whether they be giant or not. "Kingdom of the Spiders" remains one of my all time favorite nature amok films. The only problem with the film is that it's a little too middle-of-the-road. It's not campy enough to just sit back and laugh at it, yet it's also not serious enough to evoke true chills. None of the acting is terrible, but neither is anyone going to win any awards. With a little more talent behind the scenes we may have gotten a new cult classic, but everyone decided to play it safe. It's worth a watch if you're curious, but I suspect most people will be turned off by its slow burn premise. It does take nearly an hour before things really kick into gear.

My advice? Wait for the Blu-Ray/DVD price to come down then by all means snatch this one up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Gonzo B Movie Giant Spider Story, April 3, 2013
This review is from: Spiders (DVD)
Entertaining thriller featuring giant, mutated spiders. I'd put the production quality between Arachnaphobia on one end and the low-budget ScyFy channel spider-infested chillers on the other, weighted toward Arachnaphobia. That includes good quality special effects, adequate storyline, and better scale than those hunting-teenagers-in-the-woods ultra-low-budget stories. Don't go in expecting more than is promised. This is, after all, a story about giant spiders rampaging in New York City. It does it's job.

Spiders (3D/2D Blu-Ray)
Spiders (3D/2D Blu-Ray) by Tibor Takács (Blu-ray - 2013)
$34.99 $27.98