By a Spider's Thread
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews (2 star)show all reviews
on September 30, 2007
Format: Paperback
I chose to read Laura Lippman's By A Spider's Thread after learning she was an award-winning suspense novelist.

She writes well and the character points-of-view were fun to follow. However, I didn't find the story at all suspenseful, but rather quite predictable. I don't remember a climax coming or going in this story.

There were some scenes I found quite unbelievable which ruined the overall experience. For example, the protagonist, female private investigator Tess Monaghan, receives counsel and advice from an online network of her peers who call themselves the SnoopSisters. I found it hard to believe this group of women has nothing better to do than sit around on the internet to answer Tess's questions and have no work of their own.

In some scenes, Tess runs into problems eliciting information from would-be helpful witnesses and such. She is able to find success with these non-compliants by merely flashing her pistol holstered to her hip - an act I found lacked any true charismatic charm that would have found these hardened criminals speaking to a PI in real life.

Overall it is an okay book and Laura Lippman has her niche, but I wouldn't recommend it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 16, 2008
Format: Mass Market Paperback
There's a distinct lack of energy in this novel, no sense of urgency or energy. Also, I found the excessive references and asides regarding the main character's and other characters' religion to be very annoying. I'd say the same thing if we had to read constant references if the characters were Mormon, Catholic, or anything else. This adds nothing to the story and just adds more details which take away from the plot.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Audio CD
I thought the book would be much better than it was, It just seemed to fall short of any real excitment.I would not reccomend this book to my freinds.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 29, 2004
Format: Hardcover
By a Spider's Thread was not as suspenseful as I would've hoped for. I found the book to be very formulated and almost a soap opera story line.
The story line was weak and predictable. My favorite part of the book was the Snoop Sisters. I did not have the feeling in the last 100 pages that there was no way the story could wrap up w/in that page timing and the urge to shut out my household so I could finish. I did find myself hunting through my bookshelves wondering what I could read next that would blow me away. I dreaded having to finish this book because I felt it was taking my time away from a better read.
On the flip side I did learn a lot about Orthodox Jews.
I am curious about here early works; being that this is the second book she's written alone. I'm in no rush.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...